Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:03 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenAnderson View Post
Vorian pointed out there is a code section of the outpost where I can place any code questions I have.
Note that I was pointing out what areas of the AO you could go to find people/posters who might have a particular expertise/interest for differing aspects.

Any thread is subject to both thread drift and comments that may or may not relate to the original intent of the thread. The hazards benefits consequences of a public pseudo-anonymous board.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 11-15-2017, 05:11 PM
CAS

Quote:
Hi, good morning, you do have a nice conversation going about R packages, although you may be surprised that they are quite unrelated to the paper for which I am seeking review. I am not actually struggling with how to write the code or with choosing packages (since the code is mostly complete and fairly straightforward) - I am considering removing the bulk of this type of coding from the article since once the data is accessed there is quite a lot of summarizing and subsetting that can already be done in excel. The purpose of the article is towards using tools for climate analyses that are not available in Microsoft Suite. Vorian pointed out there is a code section of the outpost where I can place any code questions I have. I was curious if the Linux command would be helpful since there were questions about downloading data; as that is one I do not know how to use. I have not myself run into any trouble with downloading though. I have not had anyone sign up as a reviewer yet. If you did have the paper in hand you probably have good background in R to be able to contribute. By the review process you are placed on an email list and make comments with a group, however there is no specific requirements imposed other than to provide any comments in November.
To be fair to us, it's not like we can see the code, so we have to guess based on your comments. You mentioned that the code runs overnight due to data processing it's doing, so it's natural to assume that your code is not using the most efficient tools. For example, functions like "read.csv" can be literally 100 times slower than "read_csv" or "fread" in certain circumstances.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 PM
CAS

Quote:
... since once the data is accessed there is quite a lot of summarizing and subsetting that can already be done in excel....

Never mind. I'm out.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:31 AM
CAS

Hi Avi, thank you so much for explaining that to me ... it helps me so much to understand what is going on!

Tags
climate, meteorology, programming, r language, volunteer