Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-10-2018, 10:08 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Curmudgeon's Better Half

My high school bowling coach was in town for a few days and we got breakfast this morning and talked about bowling stuff.

We got on the topic of two-handed bowling and I was surprised to hear him say that two-handed is the way of the future. In Texas high school singles, he said 44 of the 64 bowlers who qualified for the tournament were two-handed bowlers, and they decimated the field. Strength training is now supplemented with yoga. Arm strengthening is now the past - it's all about the back and obliques now.

I think I might try out this method before league starts up next month.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:14 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

Given that I get free games during the summer, I also keep meaning to try it...just haven’t gotten around to it yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 PM
SOA

Finally had a good night in my Wednesday league. Shot 212, 258, 236 for 706.

Sadly we still lost the 3rd game by 14, but 5-2 on the night moves us to almost .500...we’re now 24-25 after 7 weeks.
Heading into tonight the top team was 26-16, so there’s no team really running away with it yet.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2018, 08:23 AM
SOA

Same league as the last post...I blew it last night...

Shot 299 in game 1. That’s the 5th time I’ve had the front 11 and the second time I couldn’t seal the deal. Last time I short armed it and pulled left leaving the 3,6,10 for 297. This time I threw an ok ball, but got it a little wide. It came back for the pocket, but wrapped the 10 pin for 299.

Both times were with the same ball. I have yet to throw one with this ball (No Rules Pearl). I’ve thrown them with the Hammer First Blood, Hammer Nail, and Roto Grip No Rules Exist.

I then fell back to earth and shot 201, 202 to squeak out a 702 as we easily took all 7 points.

Back to back weeks of 706 and 702 jumped my average from the struggling 192 it was to just a smidge under 203.

8 weeks out of 14 complete and we’re making our surge. We’re now 31-25 (two leading teams started the week at 33-16).

Quote:
Old 07-23-2018, 10:44 AM

Does anyone ever have the urge to buy a ball 2-3 lb lighter just to see how much faster you can throw it? I’d love to get more revs. I currently throw 15, but I’m considering getting a 13 lb for fun, possibly even 12 lb.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:05 AM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
Does anyone ever have the urge to buy a ball 2-3 lb lighter just to see how much faster you can throw it? Iíd love to get more revs. I currently throw 15, but Iím considering getting a 13 lb for fun, possibly even 12 lb.
You should be matching up speed to your revs. If you are dominant one over the other, it really doesnt help. The best way to increase your rev rate is to work on the basics. If your form is solid and you stay behind the ball, everything else falls into line. Forcing revs isnt the way to go. You need to learn a soft hand. Throwing it harder is not the answer.

If you think you throw the ball too slow, then yes, you might want to go down in weight. But you sacrifice carry the further down you go. Thats been proven by studies. Most popular is 15 lbs nowadays. Cohete still throws 16 but probably will move down to 15 in a few years.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohete009 View Post
You should be matching up speed to your revs. If you are dominant one over the other, it really doesnt help. The best way to increase your rev rate is to work on the basics. If your form is solid and you stay behind the ball, everything else falls into line. Forcing revs isnt the way to go. You need to learn a soft hand. Throwing it harder is not the answer.

If you think you throw the ball too slow, then yes, you might want to go down in weight. But you sacrifice carry the further down you go. Thats been proven by studies. Most popular is 15 lbs nowadays. Cohete still throws 16 but probably will move down to 15 in a few years.
Iím around 13 mph throwing a 15 lb ball.

What are the basics to work on to improve revs. Iíve been told I have good form.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
Iím around 13 mph throwing a 15 lb ball.

What are the basics to work on to improve revs. Iíve been told I have good form.
Here is a good article to read. Lots of good stuff out there and YouTube videos to watch.

https://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bow...elite-release/
Old 08-06-2018, 10:45 PM
SOA

Didn’t think I had any chance of cashing at Nationals, but apparently my 524 in singles for the standard division was enough to cash. I got a check in the mail today. Still waiting on final standings for the 40 frame game, as I might cash there too

Quote:
Old 08-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post
Didnít think I had any chance of cashing at Nationals, but apparently my 524 in singles for the standard division was enough to cash. I got a check in the mail today. Still waiting on final standings for the 40 frame game, as I might cash there too
Some cash is better than no cash! Cohete got check yesterday too. Our team came up 4 pins short of cashing in regular division, ugh. Cohete cashed in all events, which is one of the tougher ones to cash.

Hoping for a lot more success in Vegas.

Last nite of summer league tonite. 212 avg so ho hum there ha. Its a house shot fun league, but still competitive. Good summer bowling.