Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 06-15-2008, 03:29 AM
SOA

Studying for Bar Trivia
Favorite beer: Sprecher's Root

There are a whole set of games by Kosmos that are specifically two-player. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/pa...-player_series) Odin's Ravens is one of these.

Our favorite 2-player game is called "Balloon Cup". (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5716)

The other two good games of this series are "Lost Cities" and "Jambo". We have also played "The Reef", "Kahuna", and "Hellas". Reef and Kahuna are moderately fun, Hellas is meh.

For 3+ player games, we have been addicting everyone to "Bohnanza". http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11

We also enjoy "Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers", and have been playing it at least once a month for the last 2 years. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4390 It is very good for 2 players, but can definitely be played with more.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:54 PM

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by otley View Post
There are a whole set of games by Kosmos that are specifically two-player.
that's true. kosmos is usually good for some good (and inexpensive) 2 player games.

Quote:
For 3+ player games, we have been addicting everyone to "Bohnanza". http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/11
"bean game" as we call it is a lot of fun, especially with a lot of people (like 6-7)

Quote:
We also enjoy "Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers", and have been playing it at least once a month for the last 2 years. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4390 It is very good for 2 players, but can definitely be played with more.
i'm a moderate carcassonne fan but i never understood that game. the regular (with river, trader & builder, other expansions) was good, and 2 player didn't take much away from that. just a different game since you really had to manage your meeples.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:09 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold and lots of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Anyone? View Post
Any other recommendations for good 2 player games that have the potential to be expanded to 3/4/5 players?

(And I'm not looking for "technically it works for 2 players, but it's not that great" game - Killer Bunnies seems to fit in that group.)
If I knew the name of it, or even anything about it other than some general stuff, I would tell you but I know growing up, my neighbor and I played a board game that he got from his grandparents in Germany. We understood the rules enough to play but the name I have no idea. We called it the stock market game. It was a blast with two people but the game play didn't change when adding more and was still a ton of fun. Sorry I can't tell you the name though.

Officially assigned the role of Dictator, 9/30/09. Bow to my whims.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

Studying for retirement
Favorite beer: Whatever is on special

Anyone played Caylus with 2?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:53 PM

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
Anyone played Caylus?
nope. one of the games i want to learn sometime, it looks good.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:12 AM
SOA

Quote:
Any other recommendations for good 2 player games that have the potential to be expanded to 3/4/5 players?
Sure, there's a lot of them. Golf, bowling, frisbee, playing catch, jogging/running, pool, darts, basketball, just to name a few.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
Anyone played Caylus with 2?
Only once. I like it a lot better with at least 3 players though. Still not bad.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abused Student View Post
If I knew the name of it, or even anything about it other than some general stuff, I would tell you but I know growing up, my neighbor and I played a board game that he got from his grandparents in Germany. We understood the rules enough to play but the name I have no idea. We called it the stock market game. It was a blast with two people but the game play didn't change when adding more and was still a ton of fun. Sorry I can't tell you the name though.
I want to say Acquire? Start companies by placing tiles on a 10 x 12 grid (companies like Imperial, Continental, Luxor, American, Tower...). Pretty fun game I think. There's a newer version out with a bit of a theme change (which I disapprove of), but hard to find the original versions.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:12 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategygamer View Post
i'm a moderate carcassonne fan but i never understood that game. the regular (with river, trader & builder, other expansions) was good, and 2 player didn't take much away from that. just a different game since you really had to manage your meeples.
Carcassonne is all about jumping your fatty-2-dude (FTD) into someone's gratuitously large city to steal it. Go hard or go home!

I also enjoy the dragon expansion once in a while. Nothing like gobbling up a few meeples and leaving a huge city utterly deserted
Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 PM
CAS

Quote:

(And I'm not looking for "technically it works for 2 players, but it's not that great" game - Killer Bunnies seems to fit in that group.)
One I could recommend off the top of my head is Shear Panic (the best game ewe ever herd of). It's designed for up to four players, but is just as easily played with two. Plus, women will dig the whole concept of Roger the ram (that sexy beast is a love machine!)