Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 AM
BingBoing

Just played some settlers last night. Love that game. Then I was taught a new game called Oh No! (At least that's what I think it's called) It was a really fun game. There was a fair amount of strategy with team play, although it can be played solo as well.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:54 AM
SOA

Studying for Bar Trivia
Favorite beer: Sprecher's Root

Has anyone played "Bang!" (the old-west mafia-like game)? We got it as a gift, but haven't had enough people to play it yet.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by otley View Post
Has anyone played "Bang!" (the old-west mafia-like game)? We got it as a gift, but haven't had enough people to play it yet.
it's great. especially since beer heals you
also fun is to kill someone before they get a turn (well, i guess it's only fun when you're not that person).
Old 08-26-2008, 11:27 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

I played Ticket to Ride for the first time tonight. Good stuff!
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Piercing/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep
Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Chief Semiotician, Retired
CAS

Favorite beer: Beer is for closers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Silver Haze View Post
I played Ticket to Ride for the first time tonight. Good stuff!
My kids like that, but if IIRC it suffers from the problem that you can't ride others' rails, so a cut-throat rail-taking strategy can shut down portions of the board.

I should also mention to all: boardgamegeek.com is a fantastic site for both game reviews and strategy hints for whatever games you happen to play...
Old 08-27-2008, 12:03 PM

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Grumby View Post
My kids like that, but if IIRC it suffers from the problem that you can't ride others' rails, so a cut-throat rail-taking strategy can shut down portions of the board.

and ticket to ride europe fixes that. there are stations that can be played as an action, you ride one link belonging to another person for serving all of your tickets. costs you 4 points for each one used though, but it's easily worth it if it makes the ticket.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:38 PM
Chief Semiotician, Retired
CAS

Favorite beer: Beer is for closers

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategygamer View Post

and ticket to ride europe fixes that. there are stations that can be played as an action, you ride one link belonging to another person for serving all of your tickets. costs you 4 points for each one used though, but it's easily worth it if it makes the ticket.
Interesting, I wonder if I can retro-apply that to the US version.

On the same topic, does Ticket to Ride add anything that Empire Builder/British Rails/Eurorails doesn't have? I played all those games years ago, and can't recall a significant difference.

Well, other than the cute plastic trains.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:26 PM

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Grumby View Post
Interesting, I wonder if I can retro-apply that to the US version.
may make for an interesting game. i played that way (us w/ stations) a few years ago, don't remember how it played, but wouldn't think it would be any different.

Quote:
On the same topic, does Ticket to Ride add anything that Empire Builder/British Rails/Eurorails doesn't have? I played all those games years ago, and can't recall a significant difference.
in my mind, they are significantly different (genres of) games. ticket to ride is a simple quick beginner game, where you have a blatant objective: to complete your tickets. in the "crayon rails" (empire builder, etc), you have a goal, to get to $250 in cash and some number of major cities, but there's multiple ways to do that, and the focus is more on route efficiency and payouts, along with some good luck along the way.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:51 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothin!
Favorite beer: Root

Got to play Ticket to Ride this weekend. The Marklin Germany edition. Good stuff, but I did not play very well my first time through. Thinking about possibly getting one for the home, but kids might still be too young and wife isn't really into these types of board games. (She played Munchkin once which shocked the hell outta me).

Also played Shadows over Camelot, which is a pretty fun co-operative board game. Well... usually cooperative. There is the "traitor" rules that make it more fun (somewhat like Exam Committee)

Question to those who like Ticket to Ride, where do you play online?

The great thing about Jesus is that He came for ALL of us... while we were yet sinners. It is through Him that we are saved.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though working for the Lord, and not for men. Colossians 3:23

Where's Perry?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Scoundrel
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by punmanbowler View Post
Got to play Ticket to Ride this weekend. The Marklin Germany edition. Good stuff, but I did not play very well my first time through. Thinking about possibly getting one for the home, but kids might still be too young and wife isn't really into these types of board games. (She played Munchkin once which shocked the hell outta me).

Also played Shadows over Camelot, which is a pretty fun co-operative board game. Well... usually cooperative. There is the "traitor" rules that make it more fun (somewhat like Exam Committee)

Question to those who like Ticket to Ride, where do you play online?
How old are your kids?

My daughter is 7 and loves to play Ticket to Ride with my wife and I. We eased her in by relaxing some of the rules (allowing her the normal choice of 3 destinations but I and my wife would only draw 1 at a time, not really "going for the block" but just playing to get destinations, some other small things) but she's gotten good enough that we are pretty much playing standard now, except for when the 6 year old want to play too then we go back to our starter rules.

And it helps with (very general) geography.