Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-08-2014, 04:53 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5
Default Pathfinder -> Into Exile

***Unrelated to story, if you have read any of this thread and find it interesting and want to play, shoot me a PM and we'll make your toon as soon as possible. It's very easy to include new people because the flow of time is very distorted in the exile lands.

The following thread contains a large amount of information.
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=276632

MORE EDITS

**Bing comes up with good ideas. Please bold your actions when interacting with NPCs (we don't need to bold the whole combat)**

**Because it is difficult for everyone to be present at any one time, you'll have a full 24 hours to retrospectively talk to any NPC the group had the possibility of interacting with. You can do this in the thread or through PM's**

** CURRENT PLAYERS
Fijit- Gnome Magus
Bingboing- Drow Ranger
(Off doodling in the crossroads)
ERION- Half-Elf Paladin
Edweird - Damphir Vampire Hunter
BruteForce- Human Martial Artist
Tegid - Airy Singer

Also it occurred to me to include TL;DR Combat instructions.
Spoiler:

Currently since you are aware of the enemy, and they are not aware of you, you are in a surprise round. They will not act until they are aware of anyone in the group. (The group has the surprise round, you can work out of order in the surprise round to maximize your SURPRISE! effect)

Once the surprise round ends, combat order is decided by Initiative. When it reaches your turn you have 4 types of actions that you can take during a round

Free Action -> something that takes no extra time to do or prepare, can do infinite of these actions in one turn
Swift Action -> Something that takes minimal attention, typically used by class features, feats or items to enhance some other part of your Turn. You only get 1 of these per turn
Move Action -> Something that occupies a few seconds of time, usually revolves around character movement, *moving, running, standing up, climbing swimming* You only get 1 of these per turn. One move action can be changed into an extra swift action.
Standard Action -> The primary focus of your character during a turn. Usually comprises of an attack, spell cast, throwing, shooting, violence in general. You only get 1 of these per turn. One Standard action can be changed into an extra move action, or two extra swift actions.

A general combat turn may look like:

Sunbro says a silent prayer to himself while approaching (no effect just flavor)
Sunbro moves to I9
Sunbro Attacks H2 with sword
Attack 12+3 vs AC for 5+3 damage

Added for clarity:
Attack and damage rolls are separate.

First lets spell out some of sunbros stats

Str 14 +2 modifier
Dex 12 +1 Modifier

Base Attack Bonus +0

Longsword (Req str/dex 11/11, Max str/dex 2/2, Damage d8, 19-20x2 critical, slashing or piercing)

For his attack
d20+Base Attack Bonus + Str mod +Dex mod
or 12+0+2+1 or 12+3

Then damage is calculated based on the weapon used and stats. For his weapon damage is
d8+Str Mod (max 2)+Dex Mod (Max 2)
5+2+1

Ohh my god, I didnt explain armor differences... Below they are.

Spoiler:
So this game will feature a Touch AC and DR/- for armor. Anything that enhances your touch AC will increase your AC for actually avoiding attacks. Anything that increases your flat-footed AC will count as DR/- (DR/- is damage reduction for physical attacks, all damage can be reduced to 1, but not lower).

So you're AC is 9 but your DR/- is 6, meaning you need to get hit for more than 7 damage to take more than one, but everyone swinging at you will have a reasonable chance to hit.

Things that increase Touch AC
Dexterity, Size, Deflection, Dodge, Luck, Circumstantial

Things that increase DR/-
Armor, Shield, Deflection (deflection will increase both stats), Natural, Enhancement

Last edited by Aeitra; 01-12-2015 at 02:41 PM..
Old 07-08-2014, 04:58 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

The mist...

Its always misty in this village, and the only emotion that you can spring to your ever less responsive body is impatience.

You've been here for months... years perhaps, its hard to tell when the sun cannot penetrate through the mist far enough to change the day, and your body no longer recognizes fatigue or sleep. You know you've arrived in the correct place. You followed her instructions to the letter, now its just to wait.

Once a decade, the boat comes once a decade. How many times can you tell yourself that before you forget everything else? It doesn't matter, what's 10 years for a life that will never end, a drop in the bucket? a wisp in the mist?
THE MIST, you've stared out onto the sea this village sits on hoping praying the boat arrives soon.

Once a decade... Maybe you wouldn't repeat this to yourself if that shell of a man would shut the hell up about it. You're not alone in this village... there are hundreds, perhaps thousands here with you, waiting for the boat, the boat that can take you to the land where this damnable curse was created and can be lifted. Thousands of cursed ones in one place, all waiting for this boat which only finishes its journey once a decade. I'm going to be super if that woman lied to me.

Once a decade.

*The boat will arrive in the next NEXT week (you have a sneaking suspicion it will be on a Wednesday)* It will be certainly easy enough to include new members into the party after, just yell at me until I submit to your will.

Edit... Next

Edit 7/23

Last edited by Aeitra; 07-23-2014 at 11:30 AM..
Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

Once a decade... The past few weeks have been spent visiting the other travelers. Most of them holed up in the dilapidated buildings that dot this "village," the rest have taken up a spot on the shoreline, some of them moving so little the wildlife builds nests on them.

A few people stood out, the one's whose wills were unbroken. As if no one told them this life would never end, that they weren't going to eventually become hollow monsters that feed upon anything with a soul.

Those two elves, in spite of being cursed for over a century (assuming their memory is to be trusted) have never suffered a death. It's probably all the incessant training, every minute of every day the clang of steel and the twag of their bowstrings can be heard. At some point it was annoying, but now, now its the only music this town has. They complain about the curse withering away their bodies, but they still gracefully dance the blades sun-up to sun-down.

There was also a light blue mage, if memory serves correctly this is a student's color. Always casting the same spells on the hour, like clockwork... perhaps she might have a clock, its hard to tell being she never responds to anything you've seen asked of her. She stands politely waiting for the person to finish speaking then repeats the same gesture with her hands "Go Away." Perhaps she doesn't speak the common tongue, regardless of this she may be the one person in the town who knows how long its been.

Once a decade...

Last edited by Aeitra; 07-10-2014 at 03:19 PM..
Old 07-18-2014, 03:45 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

Once a decade...

It's a miracle how much order is here in this strange village. Most of these rejects have taken up arms as sell swords when they found their new power of not dying, meaning this town is filled with beefy armed warriors who would kill each other for the hint of gold. Or well, they would have, no one here takes gold as a currency. There is a loose barter system, and only between willing parties. Even the oppressed and weak here have nothing to fear, on "death" the body simply fades away, any item a person owned had in hand or near their person fading with them. The student of magic would purposefully seek out where the fights were happening to study this, but any findings she'd found she has kept secret.

A large group recently arrived, they wore bright yellow sunbursts on their clothing and would randomly declare "Praise the Sun" while making an odd stretching gesture. I think they know more about this boat then the rest of us... perhaps it will be coming soon! I can only hope.

Once a decade...
Old 07-21-2014, 11:08 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

I've learned a little more about these "Praise the Sun" fellows. It appears to be a religion or a cult (it's hard to tell the difference). They seem like a kind enough lot, but I imagine if they have a reason not to like you, its very bad for one's health. They all seem to specialize in one facet of life, more than one had said to me "If only I could be so gloriously incandescent" while looking to the sky. I believe that they aspire to be the sun. Otherwise they seem like anyone else here, staring out to the ocean for days at a time, waiting... Once a decade.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:33 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

It's been boring in the town lately, although not an original idea I decided to rewalk the areas around the town.

As I was walking through the few trees this land seems to support, I discovered the remnants of a campfire. I did a quick look around the area and found a pack full of supplies. As I reached down towards it a silvery voice called out.

"It's not free"

Startled I looked around and saw nothing, I called out "Come out, I didn't know anyone was still here."

Suddenly an elf was before me, his blue skin matching the mist as if his blood included a chameleons. Really if he stood still I could only notice the things he carried and his hair (a darker royal blue). That silvery voice spoke again "I wasn't hiding, you chose not to see me"

We talked for a little while, Bing... the drow. He didn't tell me his last name, and that is probably wise, most drow households have dark histories which only makes more enemies. I guess the curse is reaching the underbelly of the world too.

I think he liked me... well he liked me enough to show me how to avoid the traps he had laid on the way out, perhaps he just didn't want to reset the traps.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:46 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

It seems like there's more to this ship then people that have arrived know. Everyday there are more travelers settling in. I'm starting to worry about the size of the ship... Even though we don't need food or sleeping spaces, unless we're stacked like barrels, all of the people here might not fit on the boat.

Today we had a gnome... a GNOME! I'm not sure about all of these lands, but where I was raised we only had one between the castle and the surrounding villages.

I saw her talking with... let me emphasize TALKING WITH the other magic student that's been here for months (perhaps years). She had refused to talk to anyone, and as soon as another one of those mages comes in with that light blue robe she blathers on. It was a spectacle, there were at least 20 onlookers to the conversation, even if none of us seemed to understand the conversation.

I was able to single out the purple haired gnome later and we had a short conversation. Singling her out was more difficult than it sounds. Many of the groups that had started to form here thought it'd be very useful to get a student of magic to travel with them. Also, for one marked with this damned curse this was a mighty fine-looking gnome. She seemed to randomly zone out or say something entirely irrelevant to the conversation frequently, she actually described me after the initial greeting. Maybe she remembers things better when she says them. Perhaps she's gone a little crazy, its hard to tell with those cursed with the mark.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

**Reminder, the boat will arrive tomorrow and the plight of the undead made clear... well clearer then it is now**
Old 07-23-2014, 09:17 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

A distant ringing coming from offshore... bells!

"Its finally come" I mutter to myself, the impatience of the waiting period being washed away with every dinging sound of the bell. After scurrying together all of my gear, I rush to the now incredibly crowded dock. 300... 500... It's hard to count how many are in the crowd. This boat better be big enough.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for Exam 5

This crowd's movement is resilient, as I worry about the space on the boat, they clearly do not.

Pushes and shoves, I'm sure someone's been trampled underneath this mess.

Useless Idle thoughts, Focus!

I'll remove this curse... I'll return to my land a hero.

After making my way (being shoved) to the front, I find the boat to be surprisingly empty. It doesn't matter, what's one more magical thing in a world where death holds no sway. :steps onto the boat: