Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
If the cashflows coming off the liabilities are positive (i.e. future premiums > future claims & expenses) in all future years, then you're done. You're right, you don't need to bring in the assets backing the reserves. You don't need any assumptions for reinvestment, future returns, future yield curves, etc. The ALM testing is completed. Show that projection from the liability side to the auditors and take off the rest of the year.
If the business really can support itself without investment income, there must be some other sort of risk that needs to be considered. Do you know what risks there are to your business? Does management know? Even if the auditors have no clue, this is an important question that your company needs to understand.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
If the cashflows coming off the liabilities are positive (i.e. future premiums > future claims & expenses) in all future years, then you're done. You're right, you don't need to bring in the assets backing the reserves. You don't need any assumptions for reinvestment, future returns, future yield curves, etc. The ALM testing is completed. Show that projection from the liability side to the auditors and take off the rest of the year.
hm...I detect a bit of sarcasm...look, if I were as smart as you I wouldn't need to ask dumb questions. I already know I'm an idiot. I just need help.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:16 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

If your block is always generating positive cashflow there's no liability to match with assets.

But, they said they need something.

Show them what the liability cashflow projection looks like.

Do a projection of the asset cashflows (they're bonds, so you can do this in a spreadsheet, presumably you know the coupon rate, so project that forward to the maturity date, then have the maturity payment, it would be better to incorporate defaults in some fashion, but for now you can probably ignore that).

Show them how the asset and liability cashflows compare.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:53 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: An icy cold one in a glass bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKansKi View Post
hm...I detect a bit of sarcasm...look, if I were as smart as you I wouldn't need to ask dumb questions. I already know I'm an idiot. I just need help.
no sarcasm intended. Just a very straight forward answer. Back when I was doing Asset Adequacy Analysis, I would come across self-supporting blocks of term insurance. Since the cash flows weren't dependent on interest rate assumptions, there was no need to go through a full blown CFT. Just showing the liabilities was enough. We would run a projection where we would increase mortality, just to have some type of scenarios to put in the report.

It sounded like you're in a very similar situation, in which case you're in more need to educate your auditors rather than yourself.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
If your block is always generating positive cashflow there's no liability to match with assets.

But, they said they need something.

Show them what the liability cashflow projection looks like.

Do a projection of the asset cashflows (they're bonds, so you can do this in a spreadsheet, presumably you know the coupon rate, so project that forward to the maturity date, then have the maturity payment, it would be better to incorporate defaults in some fashion, but for now you can probably ignore that).

Show them how the asset and liability cashflows compare.
OK, thank you.

Quote:
no sarcasm intended. Just a very straight forward answer. Back when I was doing Asset Adequacy Analysis, I would come across self-supporting blocks of term insurance. Since the cash flows weren't dependent on interest rate assumptions, there was no need to go through a full blown CFT. Just showing the liabilities was enough. We would run a projection where we would increase mortality, just to have some type of scenarios to put in the report.

It sounded like you're in a very similar situation, in which case you're in more need to educate your auditors rather than yourself.
I must've been in a bad mood...now that I read it again w/o my red-colored glasses, I see how you were just giving a straight-forward answer.