Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > EA Exams
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 12-24-2017, 11:49 PM
SOA AAA

College: UF Go Gators!
Favorite beer: On Nitro
Default EA2F before EA2L

Terrible idea or no big deal?
Old 12-25-2017, 01:01 PM
Non-Actuary

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ead.php?t=1552

based on my first ever thread (and post) on the ao, it's no big deal. not sure if advice from 16 years ago still applies now or not though.

wait, which one is the law one? they were 2A and 2B in my day. pretty sure they are the same now though, just different names.
For whither Buru goest, I will go; and where Buru surfest, I will surf. Quinn's people shall be my people. Where Buru diest, will I die, and there will I be permabanneth. The Mods do so to me, and more also if aught but permabans part Buru and me
Old 12-25-2017, 11:52 PM
SOA

No big deal. I took EA2F and then EA2L. Passed both on the first try.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:05 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP Modules
College: Montana State University Alum - BS, University of Washington Alum - MS

I am also thinking about EA2F before EA2L. The booklet does say "The EA-2 (Segment F) examination presupposes knowledge of the topics covered in the EA-1 and EA-2 (Segment L) examinations." But from what I hear from coworkers, its not a ton of information.

https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/f...am-booklet.pdf
APC
Old 01-05-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriefvaughn View Post
I am also thinking about EA2F before EA2L. The booklet does say "The EA-2 (Segment F) examination presupposes knowledge of the topics covered in the EA-1 and EA-2 (Segment L) examinations." But from what I hear from coworkers, its not a ton of information.

https://www.soa.org/Files/Edu/2017/f...am-booklet.pdf
Theoretically, anything from EA-2L could show up on EA-2F (although not tested as a stand alone question, just part of a funding question that requires that specific knowledge of a 2L topic). From a practical standpoint, there are some basic issues from 2L that would be likely to show up on 2F, such as basic benefit limit calculations under IRC section 415 or basic top heavy minimum benefit calculations, both of which affect the accrued benefit (or projected benefit) that can be funded for. My study materials (and I assume Rick's as well) includes a description of those basic calculations (certainly not as much detail as is needed for 2L) along with examples, and that should be enough to get you through the 2F exam. (Emphasis on "should", since you never know what might show up from the 2L exam -- it's just a fact of life that many IRC sections are interconnected.)
Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 PM
SOA

I would like to get an early start on studying for EA-2F. I plan to use the TIA online course, but as it's only a 6 month subscription I figured I would start by reading the ASM manual and source material. Will there be significant updates for 2018 to the one currently available on Actuarial Bookstore / ACTEX Mad River (2017 edition)?

Edit: Also, is the ASM manual a true comprehensive manual, like they were for the preliminary exams? Or is it literally just an outline, as shown in the sample pages?

Last edited by ActuarialChef; 02-23-2018 at 10:16 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 PM

College: UCLA Alumni

you can email TIA and they'll most likely give you access if you buy it now. I used them for EA-1 and EA-2L and told them that i hate cramming if I could buy it early to get access and they gladly agreed. I always find TIA very understanding and helpful.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:37 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by apban486 View Post
you can email TIA and they'll most likely give you access if you buy it now. I used them for EA-1 and EA-2L and told them that i hate cramming if I could buy it early to get access and they gladly agreed. I always find TIA very understanding and helpful.
That's great to know, thanks! I've never used TIA so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'll reach out to them and see what they say
Old 02-24-2018, 09:01 AM

ASM (Dave Farber) is indeed a true comprehensive manual. I've seen both and the ASM manual is a better written summary than TIA (Rick Groszkiewicz) for both of the EA-2 exams, but Rick's videos and written exam problem solutions are top notch. They each have their advantages and they each are very thorough, but depending on how you best study some people have a preference as to which is personally best.

As for using the 2017 ASM for 2018, I don't expect there will be significant updates but if you are going to pay for a new version from the store I would recommend waiting. I also agree that TIA will likely give you a free extension from what I have read (i.e. an extension on the normal 6 months that won't count against your free retake if you fail...if you didn't know, TIA gives you a free 2nd attempt/6-months access if you have to retake either EA-2 exams)
Old 02-24-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuarialChef View Post
I would like to get an early start on studying for EA-2F. I plan to use the TIA online course, but as it's only a 6 month subscription I figured I would start by reading the ASM manual and source material. Will there be significant updates for 2018 to the one currently available on Actuarial Bookstore / ACTEX Mad River (2017 edition)?

Edit: Also, is the ASM manual a true comprehensive manual, like they were for the preliminary exams? Or is it literally just an outline, as shown in the sample pages?
I won't be starting the updates for the 2018 edition of the ASM manual for a couple of months, but I don't expect much, if anything, in the way of changes/additions. However, any law changes enacted on or before May 31 can be tested on this exam,so if anything important is released in the next 3 months, that can have an impact. It's doubtful that anything of importance would come up in the next 3 months, though. The 2018 edition should be available in early June.

I also suggest using the text "Actuarial Cost Methods, A Review", which is available for free download from the ASPPA web site (www.asppa.org). If you do a search from their home page for "actuarial cost methods", the first result is that pdf. It contains primarily solutions to old exam questions from the 80s and 90s strictly covering the actuarial cost methods, and they are sorted by method so that you can get lots of practice.

Last edited by davefarber; 02-24-2018 at 11:52 AM..