Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Pricing Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Pricing Exam Old Individual Life & Annuities Design and Pricing Forum

Old 11-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA
Default TIA's Spring 2018 LP Online Seminar

As always, our online seminars are open for business, and we already have a number of people using the LP online seminar to prepare for the spring 2018 exam.

As you probably know, the spring LP syllabus is the same as the fall syllabus, so everything is 100% ready to go now. We've even rolled out a few updates since the fall sitting already.

There are too many features in the online seminar to list here, so I recommend checking out our LP product page, where you can not only see a list of all features but see many of them in action. I recommend starting with the Learn More video on that page, then checking out samples.

Our LP online seminar is a very mature, polished product, and many people pass the exam on their first attempt using our LP online seminar each year. It consistently gets some of the strongest reviews in our entire product lineup.

Now that the LP syllabus is as large as ever, it is critical to commit to a study schedule from day 1 so that you get through all of the syllabus material. We've ordered the online seminar in what we think is the most efficient, intuitive way to approach the readings. We also have time-tracking features in the online seminar to help you stay on track. A number of new readings have been added in the last two years, and it is crucial to cover the entire syllabus since there is so much testable material. Our video lessons cover it all, and we include comprehensive numerical quizzes for all key quantitative topics whether they've been tested before or not.

In addition to numerous updates made last sitting when the syllabus changed, we also rolled out our new Flashcards app for iPhone, Android, and the web. Feedback and usage of the apps has been tremendous, and it is very gratifying that we've been able to help so many people manage and use the significant number of flashcards needed for fellowship exams. Combined with our iPhone and Android apps for viewing videos online and offline on the go, we now offer more mobile tools than ever to help you get more out of your limited study time.

We have more exciting mobile app updates coming this sitting. More on that later.

Please check out our LP product page to learn more and view samples. Feel free to take a look at the entire lesson structure of the LP online seminar on our site. And follow our LP blog for regular updates and tips on taking the exam.

If this is your first FSA exam, you might be curious how FSA exams are different from the prelims. It's definitely a different ballgame, and having the right mindset from the beginning can be a huge asset.

Good luck to everyone taking LP this sitting!

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn

Last edited by E; 11-08-2017 at 10:45 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 03:14 PM
SOA

I've tried to look up this information on the website but I couldn't tell. I'd like to ask if the study manuals/flash cards/other materials have printed copies with the package as well? I personally learn better with books in front of me that I can write on, not sure if this is provided with the package price...
Old 11-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoyagiAi View Post
I've tried to look up this information on the website but I couldn't tell. I'd like to ask if the study manuals/flash cards/other materials have printed copies with the package as well? I personally learn better with books in front of me that I can write on, not sure if this is provided with the package price...
Great question! We do not ship printed copies of the materials, but everything is provided in DRM-free PDF (i.e. normal, non-proprietary PDF that works on any device) to give you maximum flexibility with how you use it. All PDFs are designed to be very print-friendly for anyone who chooses to print them. For example, the detailed study manual has a full table of contents at the beginning and clear page numbering, headers, footers, etc. so that it looks great on normal US letter paper. Same for the lesson handouts and other outlines. The PDF flash cards also include instructions for how to print on card stock (of course our new Flashcards app gives you all those cards in your pocket with no effort on your part!).

We’ve found that PDF just offers the most flexibility, and there are a lot of electronic tools to make it even more efficient. One of my favorite PDF annotation apps is PDF Expert for iPad and iPhone. It makes it really easy to highlight and annotate PDF files, which I think facilitates learning. Using a tablet with a pen (e.g. iPad Pro, Surface, etc.) is also great. PDF also allows us to get the material in people’s hands faster, especially the growing number of international customers that we have.

Most people that want to print in bulk either use their office printer or send it to a print service. It is fairly inexpensive per page if you go that route.

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Old 11-20-2017, 01:24 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Michigan Alum

I guess I'm one of those "a number of people" you mentioned. I really enjoy the playback speed feature of the videos. Would love to have that feature on the mobile app too if possible.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by umich View Post
I guess I'm one of those "a number of people" you mentioned. I really enjoy the playback speed feature of the videos. Would love to have that feature on the mobile app too if possible.
Thanks! That feature is also in the iPhone version of the mobile app. We are planning to bring it to the Android version in the future as well.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

I'm happy to announce that we recently released a significant update to our iOS video app, which we are now calling Learn. You can download it free from the App Store, or simply update your existing TIA app through the App Store.

Updates to the new Learn app include:
  • Download unlimited videos to your device for offline viewing
  • Fully optimized for all iPhone and iPad models
  • Stream videos over WiFi or cellular data with option to download videos over WiFi only
  • Track your progress as you watch lesson videos
  • See all downloaded (offline) videos in one place (like making a "playlist")
  • Updated user interface, including more intuitive video controls for skipping forward/back
  • Adjust video playback speed on a video-by-video basis and also set a default preference
  • Quick access to the discussion forum for each lesson
  • Your lesson progress is synced across your devices and the TIA website. If you stop watching a video on the website or app, you can simply resume in that same spot using the website or the app.
  • Free samples included without a TIA registration
We also recently updated the Android version of the app to do the same syncing described above. This was a big feature request, and we are happy to deliver it to all platforms. We have more Android updates planned in the future.

Keep in mind the new Learn app is in addition to the newly created Flashcards app that we released in 2017 for iPhone and Android. We plan to continue enhancing both apps and appreciate all of the positive feedback we've gotten so far.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Also noteworthy for the spring: we are relaunching an all-new ERM online seminar...

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=329249

Old 01-11-2018, 04:06 PM

Speeding up the videos ruins Eddie's amazing accent and the pacing of his jokes. Not worth.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Speeding up the videos ruins Eddie's amazing accent and the pacing of his jokes. Not worth.
It’s nice to know there are still some purists out there.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:17 PM
SOA

Hi Eddie,

I am a first-time FSA exam taker. Currently I'm working on IA and trying to meet ASA requirement before July, hence don't think I would be able to sit for Spring 2018 LP. Just wondering what is the anticipated date for Fall 2018 LP online seminar to be available?

I understand that SOA recommendation is to take the regulation and tax module beforehand but do you think completing the module will be helpful for us to study Exam LP?

Based on historical exams, are the annual changes in syllabus significant? Also, the purchase of study note from SOA is necessary? Or the online-seminar bundle would provide similar study note?

I understand that the transition from Prelim to FSA exams is quite challenging. As this would be my first time, how many months do you think I need to prepare for it? Based on my past experience, I spent 3 months for both Exam C and MLC, 2 months for MFE and 1 months for P and FM.

Apologies for asking too much here. Hope you could help me on this. Thanks!!!