Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > ERM Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ERM Exam Old Advanced Finance and Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Forum

Old 01-09-2018, 07:28 AM
SOA

And final question, does the flashcard software work on windows 7 ultimate? I am having trouble installing....
Old 01-13-2018, 11:06 AM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM

Now that everyone has had a chance to regroup after the results release, we are now at what is sort of viewed as the unofficial start of the Spring 2018 exam sitting! Time to start getting our noses to the grindstone.

Please take a minute to visit the PAK Study Manual website to view our free strategy and mathematical review videos to help get you started. They give you some quick tips, as well as refresh a little bit of the math you might need as you're getting ready to take a Finance exam.

Strategy Review
Math Review #1
Math Review #2
Math Review #3

If you have questions, at any time, about anything, please don't hesitate to reach out! The more activity we can have on the forums, the better everyone tends to do, so don't be shy

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Spring 2018

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample
Old 01-13-2018, 11:34 AM
SOA

Paul, will you be making an updated suggested study schedule for those of us starting now? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlin View Post
Paul, will you be making an updated suggested study schedule for those of us starting now? Thanks!
Working on them right now They will be posted here shortly.

www.pakstudymanual.com

Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM
SOA

Hi Paul, I've looked into the suggested study schedule currently available for spring 2018 and have a couple of questions.

Basically, week 8 assumes 3 days for all 11 papers. I'm assuming it would take me about 4-5 hours to get through the paper as I would still be learning, so realistically speaking I could do 2 papers per day. Further, that is assuming I'm not at work. In summary, it would take me 6 full days to get through 11 papers. The study schedule allows 3. So how does the study schedule work? Sorry, I am new to PAK and ERM exam.....and SOA.

Also PAK exam papers seem to be a larger volume than just a 3 days work....
Old 01-13-2018, 12:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viki2011 View Post
Hi Paul, I've looked into the suggested study schedule currently available for spring 2018 and have a couple of questions.

Basically, week 8 assumes 3 days for all 11 papers. I'm assuming it would take me about 4-5 hours to get through the paper as I would still be learning, so realistically speaking I could do 2 papers per day. Further, that is assuming I'm not at work. In summary, it would take me 6 full days to get through 11 papers. The study schedule allows 3. So how does the study schedule work? Sorry, I am new to PAK and ERM exam.....and SOA.

Also PAK exam papers seem to be a larger volume than just a 3 days work....
Good question! Two things that make this not quite as insurmountable a task as it seems...

1) We put this in here as more of a "start reviewing..." point, rather than a place where we expect you to complete them. While I think you should devote this week to looking at the exams as much as you can, you also have 7 weeks after this to complete your review with some time set aside. So, in reality, most students will be looking at the past exams and mock questions for nearly a good two months before the exams. You'll also find that as you go back in time, the exams get less relevant, so you'll devote less time to them. For example, the syllabus was rather different in 2012, so you can just skim over the irrelevant questions.

2) In this week that we've set aside specifically for past exam review, you should focus more on getting your feet wet on the structure and expectations of the exams, rather than testing to see how you do. So, rather than just trying to get through all of them, start at the most recent one and look at how the questions are worded and what the model solutions look like. I find that it is better to do this in a less structured manner than the real exam would be. So, for example, start with Fall 2017 and Question 1(a), then look at the solution, then Question 1(b), then look at the solution, and so on.

Since this is just for your own purposes, you don't need to spend as much time writing anything down (in fact, some students will just jot a couple notes about how they would attempt the problem, rather than actually going through the whole process). This vastly speeds the process up

So, the key takeaways for this week: start with the most recent exam and work your way backward, and focus more on what good answers look like and what types of questions show up.

www.pakstudymanual.com

Old 01-14-2018, 09:29 AM
SOA

Thanks Paul for your excellent suggestions!

I now have printed all materials and am trying to organize and plan.

Since SOA exams become less relevant as you go backwards, I would initially plan to grind through 50% of the papers. I would also give a priority to PAK exam practice questions as these are organized into objectives to line up with the syllabus and the order of the materials. I would then go into Mock Exam questions after doing SOA papers.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Are PAK mock exam questions organized by topic or just a mix of questions to mimic the SOA papers?

How are mp3 fitting in with the videos? I am not sure when to allow for time for mp3s......
Old 01-14-2018, 12:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viki2011 View Post
Thanks Paul for your excellent suggestions!

I now have printed all materials and am trying to organize and plan.

Since SOA exams become less relevant as you go backwards, I would initially plan to grind through 50% of the papers. I would also give a priority to PAK exam practice questions as these are organized into objectives to line up with the syllabus and the order of the materials. I would then go into Mock Exam questions after doing SOA papers.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Are PAK mock exam questions organized by topic or just a mix of questions to mimic the SOA papers?

How are mp3 fitting in with the videos? I am not sure when to allow for time for mp3s......
That's a good plan! The PAK Mock Exam is not organized by topic, just a mix that we think should be similar to what you'll see on the exam. Our intention is to make it as close to the real exam as possible

The MP3s are just the audio from the video. Students have told me before that they like watching the videos, and then listening to the MP3s at work, on the bus, working out, etc. You miss the visuals, but I try to talk through all the parts we are looking at, so if you've seen the videos once, the MP3s are a more accessible refresher that you can fit into your schedule as you have time.

www.pakstudymanual.com

Old 01-14-2018, 12:33 PM
SOA

The PAK Suggested Study Schedule has been updated to start at 1/15 for those who are getting ready to get going now! You can find it on the front page of the PAK website.

(And of course, while you're there, please take a look at some of our other fine products )

www.pakstudymanual.com

Old 01-14-2018, 04:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
That's a good plan! The PAK Mock Exam is not organized by topic, just a mix that we think should be similar to what you'll see on the exam. Our intention is to make it as close to the real exam as possible

The MP3s are just the audio from the video. Students have told me before that they like watching the videos, and then listening to the MP3s at work, on the bus, working out, etc. You miss the visuals, but I try to talk through all the parts we are looking at, so if you've seen the videos once, the MP3s are a more accessible refresher that you can fit into your schedule as you have time.
Thanks Paul. I'm going though the videos now. It's nice that you also have a pdf material that can be printed out and reviewed.

On Internal Risks Operations Risk slide in Objective 1, there is a typo in the pricing risk when saying "averse" instead of "adverse".