Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 PM
gosuruss's Avatar
gosuruss gosuruss is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Favorite beer: whatever is free
Posts: 4,365
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agadefe View Post


And it does hold up for computer exams (technically). Assuming that each answer is independent, the probability that you will have 5 Ds and 5 Es is C(10,5) (.2)^10, which is higher than any other combination of Ds and Es.
thinking about it, you are right.
__________________
No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude. -Karl Popper
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM
JuicyJuice JuicyJuice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deterednot View Post
YOU have a problem and the SOA doesn't. Also, where did you see in my post anything about guess letter? Are you just dreaming it?
How does this affect your life?
Ok you are right. I must have misread your post thinking that you were asking people for the letter they went with. My bad.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM
annicus annicus is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Studying for 3L
College: Yale Alum
Favorite beer: Duvel, Newcastle, Delirium Noel
Posts: 30
Default

he had a problem with his own question.

hope your guessing strategy worked for you!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 AM
ldancer911's Avatar
ldancer911 ldancer911 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,177
Default

Count up my different answers...use the least common letter for questions I don't know. That simple. Only takes a couple of minutes to do (longer since now to tally up all the answers you have to click through each question instead of just looking at the answer sheet). I figure if I deserve to pass the exam I should at most need a couple of those right to pass, guessing a single answer should give you.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 AM
My Dogs Are Barking! My Dogs Are Barking! is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 151
Default

I used the strategy of ldancer for MLC but for C since it is computer based I just stare at the answers until one of them pops out at me. Very scientific I know.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Agadefe's Avatar
Agadefe Agadefe is online now
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Philly
Posts: 26,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldancer911 View Post
Count up my different answers...use the least common letter for questions I don't know. That simple. Only takes a couple of minutes to do (longer since now to tally up all the answers you have to click through each question instead of just looking at the answer sheet). I figure if I deserve to pass the exam I should at most need a couple of those right to pass, guessing a single answer should give you.


This is exactly what I did. As mentioned earlier, I got pretty lucky in that the 6 questions I didn't know at all, I had a very uneven distribution, so I am sure I got at least 2 right.

I'll be pleased when I see my 6.
__________________
Hi.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-10-2010, 03:02 PM
epeddy1's Avatar
epeddy1 epeddy1 is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Coast
Studying for None!!!
College: U of Chief Illiniwek
Posts: 7,952
Default

I usually flip an imaginary coin in my head, and when I get the first tails, I go with that answer (Geometric Distribution anyone?). For example, if I flip the coin in my head and it lands heads, I flip again. If it's then tails, I go with B. If I get 5 heads in a row, I just start over with A. So if I get my first heads on flip number 7, I go with B. However, it doesn't work as well when you keep getting heads. One time, the imaginary coin landed heads 23 times and cost me about 4 minutes of time. Also, it's frustrating when the imaginary coin lands on it's side, hate when that happens.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rookie View Post
I agree with epeddy's comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible.
The story of my life: It's not that I'm in denial of being a nerd. It's that everyone else is in denial of how incredibly cool I am.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 AM
GeneralTso GeneralTso is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 43
Default

look for trap answers. there are times you can get the right answer just by knowing the final step. for example, if it asks for average payment per payment, as opposed to loss, and you can't figure out how to do it, its generally pretty easy to at least figure out the chance of survival. the majority of the time, you'll see two choices with one being another divided by survival.

imo, i think its a waste of time to look for the least used answer choice and pick that one. you're assuming you got your other answers correct and even if you did, i'd guess any choice is just as good as another. this smells a lot like putting a ton of money on black just because you see a string of reds on the roulette table...

*edit* oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible. its gotta be borderline cheating. its like when i ask the voices in my head what i should do. when it works, its 100% accurate.

Last edited by GeneralTso; 11-11-2010 at 03:47 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Josia Josia is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
I usually flip an imaginary coin in my head, and when I get the first tails, I go with that answer (Geometric Distribution anyone?). For example, if I flip the coin in my head and it lands heads, I flip again. If it's then tails, I go with B. If I get 5 heads in a row, I just start over with A. So if I get my first heads on flip number 7, I go with B. However, it doesn't work as well when you keep getting heads. One time, the imaginary coin landed heads 23 times and cost me about 4 minutes of time. Also, it's frustrating when the imaginary coin lands on it's side, hate when that happens.
This technique can be used successfully for all questions, not just guessing. When the coin lands on its side, I just mark the question for review.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
epeddy1's Avatar
epeddy1 epeddy1 is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Coast
Studying for None!!!
College: U of Chief Illiniwek
Posts: 7,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post


*edit* oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible. its gotta be borderline cheating. its like when i ask the voices in my head what i should do. when it works, its 100% accurate.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rookie View Post
I agree with epeddy's comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible.
The story of my life: It's not that I'm in denial of being a nerd. It's that everyone else is in denial of how incredibly cool I am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.43409 seconds with 11 queries