Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:30 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: whatever is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agadefe View Post

And it does hold up for computer exams (technically). Assuming that each answer is independent, the probability that you will have 5 Ds and 5 Es is C(10,5) (.2)^10, which is higher than any other combination of Ds and Es.
thinking about it, you are right.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deterednot View Post
YOU have a problem and the SOA doesn't. Also, where did you see in my post anything about guess letter? Are you just dreaming it?
How does this affect your life?
Ok you are right. I must have misread your post thinking that you were asking people for the letter they went with. My bad.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:47 AM
CAS

Studying for 3L
College: Yale Alum
Favorite beer: Duvel, Newcastle, Delirium Noel

he had a problem with his own question.

hope your guessing strategy worked for you!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:12 AM

Count up my different answers...use the least common letter for questions I don't know. That simple. Only takes a couple of minutes to do (longer since now to tally up all the answers you have to click through each question instead of just looking at the answer sheet). I figure if I deserve to pass the exam I should at most need a couple of those right to pass, guessing a single answer should give you.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:23 AM
SOA

I used the strategy of ldancer for MLC but for C since it is computer based I just stare at the answers until one of them pops out at me. Very scientific I know.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldancer911 View Post
Count up my different answers...use the least common letter for questions I don't know. That simple. Only takes a couple of minutes to do (longer since now to tally up all the answers you have to click through each question instead of just looking at the answer sheet). I figure if I deserve to pass the exam I should at most need a couple of those right to pass, guessing a single answer should give you.

This is exactly what I did. As mentioned earlier, I got pretty lucky in that the 6 questions I didn't know at all, I had a very uneven distribution, so I am sure I got at least 2 right.

I'll be pleased when I see my 6.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:02 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for None!!!
College: U of Chief Illiniwek

I usually flip an imaginary coin in my head, and when I get the first tails, I go with that answer (Geometric Distribution anyone?). For example, if I flip the coin in my head and it lands heads, I flip again. If it's then tails, I go with B. If I get 5 heads in a row, I just start over with A. So if I get my first heads on flip number 7, I go with B. However, it doesn't work as well when you keep getting heads. One time, the imaginary coin landed heads 23 times and cost me about 4 minutes of time. Also, it's frustrating when the imaginary coin lands on it's side, hate when that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible.
The story of my life: It's not that I'm in denial of being a nerd. It's that everyone else is in denial of how incredibly cool I am.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 AM

look for trap answers. there are times you can get the right answer just by knowing the final step. for example, if it asks for average payment per payment, as opposed to loss, and you can't figure out how to do it, its generally pretty easy to at least figure out the chance of survival. the majority of the time, you'll see two choices with one being another divided by survival.

imo, i think its a waste of time to look for the least used answer choice and pick that one. you're assuming you got your other answers correct and even if you did, i'd guess any choice is just as good as another. this smells a lot like putting a ton of money on black just because you see a string of reds on the roulette table...

*edit* oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible. its gotta be borderline cheating. its like when i ask the voices in my head what i should do. when it works, its 100% accurate.

Last edited by GeneralTso; 11-11-2010 at 03:47 AM..
Old 11-11-2010, 09:10 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeddy1 View Post
I usually flip an imaginary coin in my head, and when I get the first tails, I go with that answer (Geometric Distribution anyone?). For example, if I flip the coin in my head and it lands heads, I flip again. If it's then tails, I go with B. If I get 5 heads in a row, I just start over with A. So if I get my first heads on flip number 7, I go with B. However, it doesn't work as well when you keep getting heads. One time, the imaginary coin landed heads 23 times and cost me about 4 minutes of time. Also, it's frustrating when the imaginary coin lands on it's side, hate when that happens.
This technique can be used successfully for all questions, not just guessing. When the coin lands on its side, I just mark the question for review.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for None!!!
College: U of Chief Illiniwek

Quote:

*edit* oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible. its gotta be borderline cheating. its like when i ask the voices in my head what i should do. when it works, its 100% accurate.
Quote:
oh wow. epeddy's advice is incredible.
The story of my life: It's not that I'm in denial of being a nerd. It's that everyone else is in denial of how incredibly cool I am.