Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:34 AM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

It's a long season; if you're gassed you're gassed no matter how many hits you've allowed to that point.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Better or worse than Gabe Kapler?
In the 3 games against the Mets, I do not remember anything egregious. I do know there were things in the prior series, but I am going strictly from my observation

With the Dodgers and Marlins, I got to see Mattingly a lot. He over manages and was absolutely abysmal at deciding when to make a replay appeal.

Pulling a pitcher in a NoH w/ 77 pitches, but also double switching out your best power hitter in the 6th inning of a 1-0 game made no sense. Especially when the pitcher only went the one inning, so they would bat anyway

especially when you have the most over worked BP in the majors and you are getting a gem
Old 04-12-2018, 10:42 AM

Studying for CAS ∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
In the 3 games against the Mets, I do not remember anything egregious. I do know there were things in the prior series, but I am going strictly from my observation

With the Dodgers and Marlins, I got to see Mattingly a lot. He over manages and was absolutely abysmal at deciding when to make a replay appeal.

Pulling a pitcher in a NoH w/ 77 pitches, but also double switching out your best power hitter in the 6th inning of a 1-0 game made no sense. Especially when the pitcher only went the one inning, so they would bat anyway

especially when you have the most over worked BP in the majors and you are getting a gem
I dislike pulling a starter who's carrying a no-no but this was his first start in the last two years so in as much as he likely won't have enough to complete the game, I get it. But pulling your clean-up hitter that early in a tight game? That is absolutely ludicrous.

Never mind the fact that his bullpen management is just about the worst I've ever seen. Using 6 pitchers in a 4-1 loss?

Old 04-12-2018, 10:45 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I dislike pulling a starter who's carrying a no-no but this was his first start in the last two years so in as much as he likely won't have enough to complete the game, I get it. But pulling your clean-up hitter that early in a tight game? That is absolutely ludicrous.

Never mind the fact that his bullpen management is just about the worst I've ever seen. Using 6 pitchers in a 4-1 loss?
to be clear, I have no problem with a pitch limit, but 77 (80 I guess) seems low for a guy cruising along. and bigger issue with double switch. I missed the inning but it seems there was no need for that
Old 04-12-2018, 11:37 AM

Studying for a field sobriety test
Favorite beer: Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
It's a long season; if you're gassed you're gassed no matter how many hits you've allowed to that point.
Wasn't gassed. Was under 80 pitches and looked pretty good. Coach pulled him.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Kapler had some doozies the first week.

Pulled Nola after 5ish innings working on a shutout and under 80 pitches and a 5-0 lead because he walked a guy, they lose 8-5. Next day he calls in the wrong guy from the bullpen, who hadn't warmed up yet. When he realizes that he tries to stall the umpires and they punish him by cutting the reliever down to 5 warm up pitches instead of 8.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:48 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Arbitrary View Post
Kapler had some doozies the first week.

Pulled Nola after 5ish innings working on a shutout and under 80 pitches and a 5-0 lead because he walked a guy, they lose 8-5. Next day he calls in the wrong guy from the bullpen, who hadn't warmed up yet. When he realizes that he tries to stall the umpires and they punish him by cutting the reliever down to 5 warm up pitches instead of 8.
I heard all those and maybe rookie mistakes, rather than bad managing. But I was strictly going by personal observation of games I watched

Last edited by Patience; 04-12-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Old 04-12-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I heard all those and maybe rookie mistakes, rather than bad managing. But I was strictly going by personal observation of games I watched
He was pretty solid in NYC. First weekend jitters.

My guess on tactical is a gut feeling and what I remember of him as a player. Also my guess on him as a player's manager.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:15 AM

Studying for CAS ∞

And now I'm hearing that Plawecki's hand is broken. They're calling up Jose Lobaton from AAA and must make a 40 man roster move. Not a lot of decent catchers out there and available. They'll probably sign washed-up Miguel Montero who was released by Washington the other day.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:59 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
And now I'm hearing that Plawecki's hand is broken. They're calling up Jose Lobaton from AAA and must make a 40 man roster move. Not a lot of decent catchers out there and available. They'll probably sign washed-up Miguel Montero who was released by Washington the other day.