Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 05-20-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
About 15 hours into RDR2. I'm terrible at action games so the skip to next checkpoint option is much appreciated although it doesn't help when I'm being chased down by the law.
I just started playing this too. Probably 7 or 8 hours in.

Rockstar games are decent but ridiculously overrated IMO and this seems to still be the case. Maybe I just get super annoyed that every mission is pretty much: Go to point A to start the mission, spend 3 minutes running/riding/driving to point B as part of the quest...1 minutes of dialog/action...3 more minutes of running/riding/driving to somewhere else to finish the mission. Missions are like 80% travel time generally.

Anyway, ok RPG to play while I don't have anything else I'm excited for right now.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:56 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldancer911 View Post
I just started playing this too. Probably 7 or 8 hours in.

Rockstar games are decent but ridiculously overrated IMO and this seems to still be the case. Maybe I just get super annoyed that every mission is pretty much: Go to point A to start the mission, spend 3 minutes running/riding/driving to point B as part of the quest...1 minutes of dialog/action...3 more minutes of running/riding/driving to somewhere else to finish the mission. Missions are like 80% travel time generally.

Anyway, ok RPG to play while I don't have anything else I'm excited for right now.
Last rockstar game I played was GTA 4 and I found missions boring, the speech in cutscenes impossible to hear over the ambient traffic noises, and the driving clunky as all hell. At some point I borrowed RDR 1 from a friend and realized upon starting it up that it was the exact format of GTA and gave it back to the friend the next day.

Might give GTA 5 a shot since it was free last week and has phenomenal reviews...
Old 05-20-2020, 12:41 PM
It's a funny name.

GTA 5 still has a fair bit of those missions, but I found it really fun regardless. maybe because there is a wide variety of vehicle options, and it's not just a horse.
either way, it was a game I sunk a BUNCH of hours into.

One of my favourite memories was when I was ripping down the freeway at 100 mph on a motorcycle, trying to outrun police copters because I just shot up a gang in an alley and stole their drugs, while Bob Segar - Night Moves was pumping on the radio. it was just really funny to me.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:37 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
There’s a bit of a ramp up time for sure. I almost gave up on it before I stumbled upon the auto run functionality.
I might have to give it another shot then. I didn't make it very far. It was pretty, but I'm not good at combat, and at least in the beginning it was boring to me.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:39 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
GTA 5 still has a fair bit of those missions, but I found it really fun regardless. maybe because there is a wide variety of vehicle options, and it's not just a horse.
either way, it was a game I sunk a BUNCH of hours into.

One of my favourite memories was when I was ripping down the freeway at 100 mph on a motorcycle, trying to outrun police copters because I just shot up a gang in an alley and stole their drugs, while Bob Segar - Night Moves was pumping on the radio. it was just really funny to me.
My spouse enjoyed GTA 5... sort of. He never actually played the game. He just downloaded a completed save file and then went out and caused mayhem whenever he felt a bit antsy.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:32 PM
CAS

The free Epic Games Store game this week is Civilization VI.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 05-21-2020, 04:34 PM
CAS

Rumor is next week's free game will be Borderlands: Handsome Edition and the following week will be ARK.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 05-26-2020, 02:06 PM
SOA

College: JCU

Surprised there isn't a whole lot of love for FF7R on this thread. Just got platinum and is now my favorite game of all time. I can't what for the sequels.

And I have 2000 hours into Destiny 1 and 2. If anyone needs a clan, let me know.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:28 PM

Re: Rocket League

Hit Champ a few days ago in Snowday, and yesterday got my 10th win for Champ rewards. First time reaching champ rewards. On a steady incline over the last few seasons of roughly a rank every season or two. When I got through to Diamond it was in Snowday and Dropshot. I don't remember which was first. Current ranks:

Rumble: Platinum 3, division 3
Dropshot: Diamond 1, division 3
Hoops: Platinum 3, division 3
Snowday: Champ 1, division 2
3s: Diamond 1, division 1
2s: Platinum 2, division 3

Solid low diamond across the board. A few in platinum, but should be able to get them up to diamond if I focus on them for a night or two. I mostly play with my cousin who is 1-3 levels up almost across the board, so I'm regularly playing against diamond players in 2s for example, which is likely why I can't gain as much ground.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:26 PM
CAS

Quote:
About 15 hours into RDR2. I'm terrible at action games so the skip to next checkpoint option is much appreciated although it doesn't help when I'm being chased down by the law.
Finally closed the book on this one. The game is absurdly long. If you blasted through the main story alone I think you'd still end in taking ~40 hours to get to the end.

It's definitely a game you play for the story and not so much the action though. I mean you can run around and just cause mayhem in towns but GTAV (or Saints Row) is probably better for that because the RDR2 weapons don't lend themselves to widespread destruction.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one