Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 PM

Yea, I didn't mean that to be taken too seriously, though I think you could manage your points one way or another.

On a more serious note, I'd just remove all patent protection from pharmaceuticals and use federal money to do any research we wanted. I've seen enough "innovation" for a lifetime.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:11 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Yea, I didn't mean that to be taken too seriously, though I think you could manage your points one way or another.

On a more serious note, I'd just remove all patent protection from pharmaceuticals and use federal money to do any research we wanted. I've seen enough "innovation" for a lifetime.
Sad that Ďa more serious noteí is Ďburn it all down.í I donít mean that as an indictment of you, but rather the industry. Iím guessing you donít normally feel this way towards an entire industry.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:59 PM

That would negatively impact brand, essentially turning everything generic. I don't think suggesting we just let the free market drive prices is really burning the whole thing down.

Just the part that sucks.

(I do agree it's a pretty dramatic change in public policy though)
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:01 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post

I would reduce patents to a shorter timeframe. in home electronic tech, patents are protecting things created to improve convenience. in pharma, they are protecting things that...save/improve lives. we want more of that to happen faster.

General info at www.ctf.org

Team donation page here.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:13 AM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Typically, when a patent is about to run out, do companies find a way to extend?

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:51 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Typically, when a patent is about to run out, do companies find a way to extend?
Yes. They create a slightly modified version of the original drug and patent that again. With an even higher price tag.

Or they pay off the generic companies for a time to not produce their drug when their patent has run out. This is not strictly extending the patent, but it functions in a similar way.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:53 PM
CAS SOA

This is a new one (patent trolling with a twist):

Quote:
The FTC has long fought against so-called “pay for delay” settlements, in which a brand-name drugmaker pays a generic rival to delay releasing a cheaper version of its product in exchange for resolving patent lawsuits.

In its lawsuit, the FTC accused AbbVie and Besins of filing baseless patent infringement lawsuits in 2011 against generic drugmakers Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd and Perrigo Company to delay the launch of their generic versions of AndroGel.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...ource=facebook
Old 07-02-2018, 09:30 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
they pay off the generic companies for a time to not produce their drug when their patent has run out
That should be illegal price-fixing, IMO.

Is that actually legal?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:41 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
That should be illegal price-fixing, IMO.

Is that actually legal?
No. But when the fines for getting caught are smaller than the (extra revenues generated from the brand name drug for another X years of time - the costs of paying off the generic company), you can understand why pharma companies do it.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
No. But when the fines for getting caught are smaller than the (extra revenues generated from the brand name drug for another X years of time - the costs of paying off the generic company), you can understand why pharma companies do it.
Ah! So we need better disincentives. Thanks for the clarification.