Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:05 PM

Default advice requested-P&C consulting vs. insurance

I've read some threads pertaining to this, but feel free to post links to threads you think will be helpful. I have 1 exam and experience in another career. I have an offer from a P&C consulting firm and an insurance company, also P&C, with a rotation program. They both have comparable exam programs, almost identical actually.

I can come up with many positive things about both positions, and I have to decide which are most important to me. But to help me feel better or worse about this decision, I'm asking for your input. Let's say I choose one of these, and I find out in 4-5 years that I'm unhappy because of a reason I didn't anticipate feeling so strongly about (e.g. not given enough study time, projects seem boring, working too hard, no one to write papers with, etc.). Will it be relatively easy to move from an insurance company to consulting, or consulting to insurance? Let's assume that I am not having trouble passing exams, even with a heavy workload (but maybe my personal life will suffer).
Old 01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nora View Post
Let's say I choose one of these, and I find out in 4-5 years that I'm unhappy because of a reason I didn't anticipate feeling so strongly about (e.g. not given enough study time, projects seem boring, working too hard, no one to write papers with, etc.). Will it be relatively easy to move from an insurance company to consulting, or consulting to insurance?
Yes.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

yes. not a problem typically. assumes you did good work, interview reasonably well, and can pass some exams in that time.

not a rpoblem at all.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:10 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

There is always some loss if your experience isn't an exact fit for the position you are seeking, but it shouldn't be a huge issue at entry level + 4 - 5 years.

If you go with the insurance company job, try to get to know any consultants that your firm works with. If you go with the consulting job, likewise, try to make favorable contacts among your insurer clients. (Easier said than done at entry level, but whenever you get a chance . . .)

You should be OK.

Also, if you have issues, you may be able to find another insurer (if you are in the company environment) or another consulting office (if you go that route) where the problem you are facing is not as acute. All insurers and all consulting offices are not created equal.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 PM

Excellent. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Notes Contributor
CAS

I've been in insurance for over three years now and I've tried to get to consulting and have had difficulty. In my experience, a lot of consulting companies are looking for consulting experience. I hope to get a consulting job in the future and am working w/DWS but in the meantime I continue w/life in my insurance company.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
I've been in insurance for over three years now and I've tried to get to consulting and have had difficulty. In my experience, a lot of consulting companies are looking for consulting experience. I hope to get a consulting job in the future and am working w/DWS but in the meantime I continue w/life in my insurance company.
If I had to rank the "seamlessness" of transferring between consulting and insurance, by discipline, I'd probably rank it this way:

Easiest: Health
Next easiest: Property/Casualty
Next easiest: Pension (where applicable since most are consulting roles)
Most difficult: Life