Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Professional Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

CATASTROPHE MODELING JOBS

Old 05-22-2007, 02:08 PM

Default ASA - MBA - FSA??

After i get my ASA designation by early next year. I'm thinking about stopping for a year to pursue a full time MBA and then return to FSA path after that.
Can i get your comments on wheter you think this is a good idea for an actuarial career? will it make for a more well rounded actuary? Do employers look for MBA's in actuaries or is it simply a nice to have?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 PM
SOA

Are you just that glutton for punishment that you're going back for more?

I'm sure Claude will weigh in shortly (although this might be more visible in the "Careers" section) but I think it's pretty much just a nice to have. In my (albeit limited) experience, the MBA is of limited value. It's not useless, but it won't open a tremendous amount of doors. I certainly don't think that from a financial perspective it would be worth it to quit your job for a year.

If you're dead set on becoming the CEO of your insurance company, it's probably more valuable, but if you're simply looking to become an actuarial manager, I don't know how much help it's going to be. That stuff's all pretty political and being in with the right people is probably more important than having the degree. If you're gone for a year, you won't be getting in good with the right people.

Of course your particular company might place a higher value on an MBA than some. And an MBA from a top school is certainly worth a lot more than an MBA from East Podunk U.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Frostop Root

MBAs probably have fancier graduation parties than FSAs, maybe homecoming events. Not likely FSA/MBA gets better actuarial jobs.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Carol Marler

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Some companies will pay for your MBA. But I think getting FSA first makes more sense. MBA can put you on the track for promotion out of the technical stuff. . .
Old 05-22-2007, 03:08 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

why do you want the mba? to stay an actuary, it may help with advancing to company management. but so could 2-3 years of undistracted work towards company business (instead of going to school).

our filed, in general, is not mba (or any other m degree) impressed.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSY View Post
After i get my ASA designation by early next year. I'm thinking about stopping for a year to pursue a full time MBA and then return to FSA path after that.
Can i get your comments on wheter you think this is a good idea for an actuarial career? will it make for a more well rounded actuary? Do employers look for MBA's in actuaries or is it simply a nice to have?
The FSA exams are also based on more specific knowledge within your particular track. You may be setting yourself up in a difficult position to leave a field, then come back 1-2 years later expecting to tackle such specific knowledge.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:01 PM

Basically piling on, but if you want to do actuarial work, I'm not sure why you want an MBA. If you want to do something other than actuarial, not sure why you want the FSA.

"Best of... Westley" thread: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ad.php?t=52501
Old 05-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Some companies will pay for your MBA. But I think getting FSA first makes more sense. MBA can put you on the track for promotion out of the technical stuff. . .

Agreed. I would get FSA first, then try MBA if you still want to go for it. Quitting your job to go to school full-time is not a good idea (and this is more than just financial concerns). I would try night classes or correspondence programs.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSY View Post
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...4&postcount=18
Old 05-24-2007, 04:00 PM
SOA AAA

I got my FSA a couple of years ago, and I am probably entering a night MBA program this fall. My main reasons are:

1) I took no business, accounting or finance classes in college, so I have stuff to learn, even if I've seen some of it in my actuarial career.
2) Hopefully, getting an MBA and getting some more finance-related responsibilities at my current job or the next one could broaden my career opportunities so that I don't have to move out of town to keep advancing in my career.

Still, I can't believe that I'm thinking about going back to school again!