Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-25-2007, 10:04 AM
SOA AAA

Default Hartford CT

I am considering a job change and relocation to a city in New England. Hartford seems to be the logical choice due to the large number of insurance companies. I grew up in the suburbs and plan to be a suburbanite all my life. Considering the traffic in the Hartford area, what sort of commute would I be looking at to go from a comfortable/safe surburban area to the downtown where the insurance companies are?

(I do know that some have suburban office locations)

If anybody has comments regarding other cities in New England (or NYC area) feel free to include them in this discussion.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: UCONN Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeAct View Post
I am considering a job change and relocation to a city in New England. Hartford seems to be the logical choice due to the large number of insurance companies. I grew up in the suburbs and plan to be a suburbanite all my life. Considering the traffic in the Hartford area, what sort of commute would I be looking at to go from a comfortable/safe surburban area to the downtown where the insurance companies are?

If anybody has comments regarding other cities in New England (or NYC area) feel free to include them in this discussion.
There are a few comfortable/safe suburban areas just across the river from Hartford like Glastonbury, Manchester, and East Hartford to name a few. They all have pretty easy access to I-84 which would take you right into Hartford and are probably about a 15 minute commute (assuming you don't get stuck in traffic). Even if you go a little further out, if you're close to I-84, you should have a relatively short commute.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:

These Hartford discussions might be useful, too: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...6&postcount=57
Old 07-25-2007, 10:53 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

20 min minimum. max is up to you.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:42 AM
SOA AAA

I'm pretty sure that Stars Hollow is a made up town, but are there any towns near Hartford that are at all like that? A typical sleepy New England town? Do I watch too much TV?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:53 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: UCONN Alum

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that Stars Hollow is a made up town, but are there any towns near Hartford that are at all like that? A typical sleepy New England town? Do I watch too much TV?
I don't think too many of those exist nowadays, but towns like Glastonbury or Wethersfield would be pretty close to it.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Deceased

Quote:
yes it is.
Are you looking for the quirky characters, the Town Hall meetings, or just the general look of the town?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Student View Post
yes it is.
Are you looking for the quirky characters, the Town Hall meetings, or just the general look of the town?
The Hardware store turned into a diner.

The town was actually based on a real town in CT that the creator once drove through. My wife owns the DVD series and there was extra footage in the first season that disclosed the name of the town. I will have to check that out again.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS 3
Favorite beer: Sam Light

Winstead looks similar to that, but the drive would be killer (well like a 45 - an hour on a good day). Prospect is another one, very small town, but again 45-an hour and you get to fight both Waterbury & Hartford traffic. Rocky Hill is another one like Glastonbury. 84 is less of what you want to worry about, for downtown Hartford 91 is where it's at.

There are more than that, but I'd have to think about it, those 2 "small towns" are just the ones I actually have experience with.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:13 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS 3
Favorite beer: Sam Light

Quote:
The Hardware store turned into a diner.

The town was actually based on a real town in CT that the creator once drove through. My wife owns the DVD series and there was extra footage in the first season that disclosed the name of the town. I will have to check that out again.

Washington Depot, CT according to Wikipedia. It's out in Litchfield county (south of Winstead), no major roads even remotely nearby, mapquest says 1hour 15, but knowing the traffic on Rt 4 in the morning/night I'd say it would be closer to 2 hours to Hartford.