Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: Birch
Default Please delete

Please delete this post, Thank you.

Last edited by IMAP; 08-17-2007 at 08:20 PM..
Old 08-17-2007, 12:11 PM

Pretty much anywhere, really. I assume you were at a consulting firm if they rejected you for not being Type-A enough.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:13 PM
SOA

Give it a few days to get over the crappy feeling.

Then when you've calmed down, think about the work you did this summer. Were there things you could have done better? Were there projects where you did the bare minimum? Were you helpful on the projects you worked on?

Is there anyone you worked with this summer who can be brutally honest about these issues? Again, wait until you cool off before contacting this person.

The leadership comment is probably not their real reason for making the offer, although may be true is you have serious problems interacting with people.

I know this sucks, you have to pick yourself up and start over. You will probably be able to find a job for next year, the challenge will be to make that work experience better than the last one.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor

College: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAP View Post
Hello all. I am quite discouraged at the present time, as I am going into my Senior year of college as the VP of my actuarial association and have 2 exams under my belt. However, I was not extended an offer because they felt that I lacked leadership ability, which I failed to display through volunteering as a TA at my college in an effort to help students pass Exams P and FM.

I am very discouraged, but I was wondering: what companies are more exam-intensive and less intangible-intensive, from your experiences? I have never had a problem taking the exams, and I feel that I will have four by the time that I graduate.

At this point, I just don't know where to go from here.
You already have 2 exams and internship experience. Don't let one company's mistake discourage you. The ability to discern leadership quality in college students is a scarcer talent than your prior employer realizes.

Where are you and what is your citizenship?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:22 PM
CAS

Studying for FM
Favorite beer: Dirty Monkey

That sounds pretty cold! I think that most companies give their interns offers for full time. Anyway, you have the experience, so I would just put it on your resume and apply for other jobs. When you are interviewing, you shouldn't say anything negative about your summer internship (you don't need to tell them they didn't give you an offer), just tell them the positives about why you want to work at their company. Good luck!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:33 PM

So was it consulting? I'd be surprised if it's not, you certainly have enough "leadership" for an insurance company.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:37 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I am crrently in Hartford, CT, and I am an American.
You will have no problem finding a job. It may work out better in the long run since you now get to interview with a variety of companies in possibly a variety of locations.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:46 PM

Favorite beer: Talschänke Wöllnitzer Weißbier

Quote:
Sadly, it is property/casualty...and during the course of my internship, I think I rubbed people the wrong way.

--I never attended informal events like "Happy Hour" (since I do not drink).

--I always put my work before interactions with other people, and unlike everyone else, I was the only intern working in my department. (the others worked in clusters of 5 or more)

--I was not really asked any questions about my credentials as much as I was asked about the internship, itself. However, the opportunity to show leadership ability never really came up, and neither of my three interviewers (picked out of a random pool of 50) really took an opportunity to glean insight into this area.

In other words, would I have been better off interviewing with the company cold, with internship experience elsewhere?

And that is a good point about being able to interview with many companies; I was offered a role as an analyst here, but I have committed myself to becoming an actuary, and have followed through with this commitment until this point. I do not plan upon settling for less after working so hard . However, I am a CT boy through and through, so I feel that my future is destined to be in Hartford.

I just thought that my ambition and work ethic would have been enough to "wow" this company...
You will fit in fine at many insurance companies (I would say most but I don't have any first or even second hand experience with P&C companies if that is what you want to do).
Old 08-17-2007, 12:52 PM
SOA

Neither of these should be deal breakers, but since you brought them up....

Quote:
--I never attended informal events like "Happy Hour" (since I do not drink).

--I always put my work before interactions with other people, and unlike everyone else, I was the only intern working in my department. (the others worked in clusters of 5 or more)
1) You can (and should) attend happy hour even if you will only be drinking non-alcoholic beverages.

You may have good reasons for not drinking, but given your comments on shyness, a little alcohol may help.

2) You will be learning from the people you work with, formally and informally, for years. Developing a level of comfort with them is an important part of your job.

I'm not saying you have to be friends with them, but "interactions with other people" will help your career more than finishing a spreadsheet you were working on when someone walked up to talk.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:05 PM
...:illllllli:..

Quote:
However, I am also exceptionally shy, and while I am able to communicate my ideas effectively as a businessman, I am not the most social person in the world...
I think I do not have a correct understanding of the term "leadership". Like, how can you "lead" a bunch of guys when you are afraid of social contact with other people (isn't this what shyness means?).

Please enlighten me. I have always felt shy and therefore I have always felt that I lacked this so-called leadership.