Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 AM

Studying for CAS 7C
Default When there is no job posting...

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding my search for a full time entry position. I am looking for a job in a P&C Company. I want to move after University in a specific city for personal reasons. There is about 7 companies in the P&C field which are of interest to me in that city. (canadian)

Now, unfortunately, there has been no job postings on the company website or so. I have sent an e-mail to chief actuaries with my Resume. I have received an answer from 1 of the company. I will interview with them later this week. But nothing from the other companies. Now, what is the best strategy to try to get an interview if there seems to be no job offers. Should I call directly instead of e-mailing? Same Chief Actuaries? Or should I call HR? I have already sent also my Resume in the HR database.

Do you have any other information that could be useful? Personal experience...I have done 4 internships in another city, I have good connections to have jobs in my current city but since I want to move, I don't know many people to start with.

For my personal background: Canadian, 4 exams (writing 5th in november), GPA above 4.0, 4 internships, good communication skills and very good computer skills

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

If there are no jobs posted, and your e-mail campaign did not get a response, you should take the hint. Those companies don't have any entry-level positions available at this time. There is no point in trying to get an interview if the company has no open spots to hire you into.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:46 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

True. But keep monitoring their job postings. Apply immediately if an opening pops up. If an opening doesn't pop up, re-apply anyway after about 3 mos. or when your resume changes materially (e.g. more exams passed) if you haven't landed something before then.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Studying for CAS 7C

Hi thanks for your reply,
the thing is I want to move to town X because my girlfriend lives there. I currently study in town Y, I could have opportunities here but I don't want to accept anything unless there is nothing in town X. It'S a bit complicated I don't want to pass opportunities in town Y and be left with nothing but at the same time I don't want accept an offer in town Y and later receive an offer from town X (I do not want to burn bridges...)

It is a bit complicated...3 months seems a bit long for me, I'm graduating in December..
Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Actually what you may want to try is something along the lines of ....

1) Send email reintroducing yourself.
2) Tell them you have a interview in the area on day XXXX.
3) Ask if you could meet with someone (entry level even?) for an informational interview to get someone elses perspective of the city and companies and actuarial positions, etc.

-- You want to take advantage of being in the city to get as much info as possible.

If you get the informational interview DO NOT bring a resume or leave one 'just in case'. If they ask for one tell them you have one at the hotel and will get it to them later in the day.

Even if it is an entry level non-hiring person you meet if you leave a good impression there is a non-zero chance that when they do decide to look for someone they will
A) Ask entry level people if they know anyone OR
B) Simply ask the entry level person about that guy he went to lunch with.

Someone here would be able to word this better than I have. Good Luck!
Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacktuary View Post
I have good connections to have jobs in my current city but since I want to move, I don't know many people to start with.
It's a small field, I would start with calling the people you have good connections with in the current city and simply tell them that you have decided for personal reasons to move to City X and ask if they have any advice.

Also, I somewhat disagree with nrm on bringing a resume to an informational interview (but I agree about asking for such an interview). Bringing a resume is ok, but you should be very clear that you are not trying to turn this into a job interview. Leaving a resume is a convenience for them, so they can see it if they want to, and if not, well it's just an extra piece of paper, no big deal.

The problem is, many people try to say "Read my resume, can you interview me for a job", which is horrible manners if you've asked for an informational interview.

If they are willing to meet with you just for information, explain your position and tell them what you are trying to do and why. Aks if they have any advice, and listen to it. Then, i think it's ok to finish with "Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it. I want to leave you with my resume, in case you think of a position that makes sense and I could be considered for. If such a position opens, I would very much appreciate it if you could let me know, and again, I really appreciate your taking the time to sit down with me today, it was very helpful".
Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM

Studying for CAS 7C

Good Thanks for that advice.

But the thing is...the people that may provide me good advice are those that may want to hire me in Town Y (current city).
I don't want it to sound like:
"Hmmm...can you help me to find a job in town Y...if there is no job, then please consider my profile" sounds weird to me and a bit opportunist.

Any idea of how this could sound ok?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:49 PM

Favorite beer: Anything that defiles myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
It's a small field, I would start with calling the people you have good connections with in the current city and simply tell them that you have decided for personal reasons to move to City X and ask if they have any advice.

Also, I somewhat disagree with nrm on bringing a resume to an informational interview (but I agree about asking for such an interview). Bringing a resume is ok, but you should be very clear that you are not trying to turn this into a job interview. Leaving a resume is a convenience for them, so they can see it if they want to, and if not, well it's just an extra piece of paper, no big deal.

The problem is, many people try to say "Read my resume, can you interview me for a job", which is horrible manners if you've asked for an informational interview.

If they are willing to meet with you just for information, explain your position and tell them what you are trying to do and why. Aks if they have any advice, and listen to it. Then, i think it's ok to finish with "Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it. I want to leave you with my resume, in case you think of a position that makes sense and I could be considered for. If such a position opens, I would very much appreciate it if you could let me know, and again, I really appreciate your taking the time to sit down with me today, it was very helpful".
I think its better form to go through an informational interview and then to follow up via e-mail with your resume.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
I think its better form to go through an informational interview and then to follow up via e-mail with your resume.
Yeah, that makes sense to me.

Zack-

It is, unfortunately, very difficult to get somebody local to help you look for a job there without closing the door to getting a job here. Do you have any solid contacts that you worked with in your current city that have at least left the company or perhaps even left the city?

Other option: look at the companies you have contacts with, pick a company that you are LEAST interested in working at, and call those people. At least then you still have other options that are more interesting.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:25 PM

Studying for CAS 7C

SMALL UPDATE...

Things are progressing...the next two weeks will be crucial.

Very probable (i'd say 99%+...talked with the managers) 2 offers coming from Town Y (current city) in the next week...

Did an interview with a company in Town X last week, waiting for an answer this week, but only for a second interview notice or rejection.

Still waiting from answer from another cie from Town X...don't think I have a chance, the interview was more than a month ago, called back last week and they were still in the process.

Just wanted to let you know...

Now, it will be just hard to time everything and delay my offers...I guess as soon as an offer, I'll let the company in town X know.