Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > EA Exams
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-27-2003, 10:33 AM
SOA

Default Best EA-2A Textbook?

For the people who have taken EA-2A, which textbook should I get? The Aitken, Anderson, or Berin one? Which is the easiest to understand, etc.

Thanks!

The Dingo ate your baby.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:48 AM

I've only used Aitken, but I found it to be quite satisfactory. Read the text and the examples. Do the exercises. Check your answers in the back. Then you're done. It's like being a Sophomore again.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Non-Actuary

Aitken? Oo oo, Is he of any relation to Clay Aiken?
Old 05-27-2003, 12:24 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily
I've only used Aitken, but I found it to be quite satisfactory. Read the text and the examples. Do the exercises. Check your answers in the back. Then you're done. It's like being a Sophomore again.
Thanks Emily! That sounds good. Just when I thought I was done with school...

The Dingo ate your baby.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:45 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Parabola

For learning the old EA-1B stuff, Aitken and Farrimond (the big blue ASPA book) are great. The Berin and Anderson book are about 20 years old, very theoretical and useless for preparing for EA-2A.

For the funding stuff, Farber's 170 is as good as it gets for sheer mechanical practice.

Outside of the Aitken book, the only real way to learn this stuff is by doing problems. It is unfortunate that nobody has written a good book or prepared a good educational study manual on the funding stuff.

Don't even bother with Actex.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWSituation
For learning the old EA-1B stuff, Aitken and Farrimond (the big blue ASPA book) are great. The Berin and Anderson book are about 20 years old, very theoretical and useless for preparing for EA-2A.

For the funding stuff, Farber's 170 is as good as it gets for sheer mechanical practice.

Outside of the Aitken book, the only real way to learn this stuff is by doing problems. It is unfortunate that nobody has written a good book or prepared a good educational study manual on the funding stuff.

Don't even bother with Actex.
I 2nd everything WW said. Especially the part about the Actex not being worth anything. Don't waste your (or your company's) money.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:18 PM
Retired Administrator

Actex came out with a new one for 2b -- do they not have a new one for 2a as well?
Old 06-16-2003, 05:06 PM

Has anyone bought "Actuarial Cost Method, A Review" by Farrimond/Mayer? It is one of the suggested texts but I don't seem to find that book anywhere on any actuarial book seller sites.
Is that an actual textbook or a studymanual? and Hoew can I get it?
Old 06-17-2003, 09:22 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Parabola

To get the Farrimond book, you need to go to

www.aspa.com

As for Actex and its new edition, it is still garbage (at least for EA-2B). The solutions were lazy and sometimes fudged to get the right letter.

Farber and Rick G. have ruined the market for those who want to do anything less than an outstanding job at preparing study materials. Anything else is a waste of money, and more importantly, time. (Everyone still needs to get that Farrimond Book and newbies should get Aitken as well)

Farbers 170 are great for the EA-2A exam. If you master that book alone you should get a solid 4 - not bad for 1 manual. Mastery of Farrimond should bring you up to a 5. The extra points to pass have to come out of reading the regs and doing a seminar.

Don't even bother looking at the study notes.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:35 AM

A couple of questions for folks who went through EA-2A:

If I follow most of the advice posted in this forum, I will use either Aitken or Farrimond's book for learning/practicing problems of the "cost methods" part of the syllabus. Then I would use some summary for the other part of the exam (can I describe that part as "404/412"?). Now,

1. What percentage of the total time should I spend on each of these two parts (cost methods vs 404/412)? i.e. What is their relative importance in the exam?

2. What is the best review text (one that explains stuff) for the 404/412 part, if there is one?

You can assume I have some familiarity with the material, but not a whole lot, so that's why I'm looking for a text with explanations for the 404/412 section.

Thanks in advance for any input.