Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

US LIFE, ANNUITY AND INVESTMENT JOBS

Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 PM

Default MFE & MLC

I am afraid that I might have failed MFE. However, is it possible for me to take both MFE and MLC at same time.

I failed MFE due to forget the basic exam skill of time tracking and focusing on things that I know. Be honeset to all of you, I thought I know all the contents of MFE. However I was not good thinker in the afternoon and was trapped by 7 and 8 and lost lots of time on those. I don't know how I can prepare better for future sitting except keep trying on the exams.

Is there any chance for me if I start studying MLC right now? I don't have college course on actuarial. And I am working for fulltime.

I am using CAS 3L study guide for now and my new ASM MLC study guide is coming soon.

I would like to focus on passing MLC and try sitting MFE. However somebody else in my group thinks that I should focus on MFE only since skipping failed exam may cause I won't pass any exam. He thinks most of exam takers have a college course on the life contingency. Is he right on this?

Can anybody share some thoughts here?

Thanks a ton!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Jeopardy
Favorite beer: Space Coyote

The college classes I took for MLC were of very little use. You certainly can do both at once but as has been said many times before, a 6 is better than two 5s
Old 05-29-2008, 03:43 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 6
College: Eastern Michigan
Favorite beer: Guinness

At my work, its expected that I take both unless I have either MLC or MFE passed.

As for college courses. I would imagine that they are nice but they aren't necessary. These exams are designed for self study. For MLC there are over 280 practice questions. For this last sitting I basically went through a Guo's Arch and then hammered out problems.

When doing the all those problems, write down the numbers of the problems you get wrong. Once you get a bunch done, go back and see what topics you keep getting wrong. Review, then go back at it. I went through all 280 problems and felt very well prepared for the exam. Did I really need to go through all those problems? No, I was probably ready to pass 2 or 3 weeks before exam time but I've found that over preparing is better than failing and having to sit and take it again.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Official AO Ninja

Studying for my next eye exam
Favorite beer: Guinness - because it's color of ninjas. And delicious.

Start studying for both. When the registration deadline comes near, take a hard look at your progress and make a decision based on how prepared you feel for both exams. If you don't feel like you have enough time to be well prepared for both, only sign up for one.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
At my work, its expected that I take both unless I have either MLC or MFE passed.
This is crazy.

and for the original post:
Is it possible to pass both? Of course, but the probability of passing will vary based on the individual. Did you pass P and FM with relative ease? It is worth noting that the amount of material on MLC is much more, maybe close to 3 times more than MFE. That being said, the deadline to register is far away, so as mentioned you can begin to prepare for both and see where you stand then.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:20 PM

My workplace also expects you to take both at once.

And I think its crazy - you can take FM by itself!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 PM

Smile Thanks

Thanks to all of your responses.

I am studying MLC right now. I will focus on passing MLC in this fall.

For MFE, I will think about it later and make decision on it when the registration deadline approaches.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
It is worth noting that the amount of material on MLC is much more, maybe close to 3 times more than MFE.
I thought I would add that my opinion is that the material on MFE is more difficult - simply because it is not nearly as intuitive. So, while the quantity of material on MLC is greater, the difficulty is less...
Old 05-30-2008, 09:46 AM

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

I don't get it. Why not take MFE again since you just sat for it, before that information leaves your memory? It'll be much easier to study the second time for MFE without a 6 month gap in the middle. I don't see the point of taking what you view an easier exam to push off a harder one. You're going to have to pass MFE eventually, so just get it over with.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:28 AM
SOA

Studying for C and FAP Modules
College: U.Victoria (B.Sc.), UBC (MBA)
Favorite beer: A&W root

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeNBakes View Post
Start studying for both. When the registration deadline comes near, take a hard look at your progress and make a decision based on how prepared you feel for both exams. If you don't feel like you have enough time to be well prepared for both, only sign up for one.
I've been thinking of taking both MFE and MLC in Nov. myself. I'm an older (44) career changer who just passed 1/P and took 2/FM (and hopefully passed!) this go-round, and I figure I don't have a lot of time to waste. But, duh!, your idea hadn't occurred to me! Silly bunt....

Anyhow, I think I'll do that. Give myself a solid month to fire out resumes (anyone out there with entry-level positions who wouldn't mind squeezing an old fart in amongst the young new-grad whippersnappers?), then buy study guides for both in July, and have at 'er.

Since the application deadline for MFE and MLC this time around was April 1, will the deadline for the Nov. sitting be October 1 (+/- a bit)? That would give three solid months of study time (July, August, September) before having to decide.