Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold and lots of it
Default D&D...Adventures in the Underworld

A repeated ringing sounds throughout the entire town. DING...DING...DING Confused looks cross the faces of the people in the streets. The patrons of the tavern pause in drinking their midday ale. Housewives, long stuck inside taking care of the children step to the door of their houses, looking around for the sound.

People begin to gather around the Mother Tree. The tree in the center of town that legend has it was the first tree to grow here, the tree that brought forth the entire forest that this wonderful city now calls home. The legend says as long as the tree lives, those that live near it will live safe and happy lives. There have been many meeting of the elders of the city recently because the past number of months, the tree has been looking sick. Now, the town herald is pounding a stake into the ground, erecting a large sign. People crowd around the sign to read what it says.

Quote:
By order of the City Elders, a group of people, skilled in the art of warfare, are sought to help defend this great city of ours. Gold and treasure is yours for the taking. Great fame will be laid upon you and you will go down in the annals of history as saviors and brave men and women.

See the Head Elder for details, to sign up, and for equipment.

Warning: All rewards come at a price. Great injury and even death is a possibilty. Your rewards will then be transfered to next of kin.
There is a line forming over by the Council building to ask questions and to sign up.

Officially assigned the role of Dictator, 9/30/09. Bow to my whims.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:11 AM
SOA

This game will be primarily played during the day. During certain times, the game may run a little slower waiting on some people to act, like battle which will go in order. To speed this up, we can institute some methods to help things flow. The game will continue changing, growing, evolving. At each new step, people can be added or subtracted as outside needs require.

Most contact will be handled inside this thread. There will be some interaction that can only be handled through PMs. For example:
"I want to attack the ogre furthest to the right" can be handled in the main thread.
"I want to search the body of the goblin I just killed" can be said in the main thread. Your response will be given in PM because if you find something, it will be up to you to figure out how to split it with the group. Just a warning, most parties will prefer to combine all treasures and then split it up. If you start pocketing things, you might end up with a dagger in your back during the next battle that didn't come from a goblin. That dagger request would come to me through PM.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Last edited by Abused Student; 06-20-2008 at 11:19 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM
SOA

Player List:

J.T. - Miss Take of Heaven - halfling rogue - sneaky, stabby, and a bit of a klepto
Htebazile - Htebazile - Tiefling wizard - squishy, big fan of burning stuff
Aeitra (Artie) - Aether - human fighter - fighter (obviously), slightly insane
DyalDragon - Sir Vicks Tretcher - Dragonborn Paladin - little bit of smashing/little bit of healing, scaly , horny
antisyst3m - Camelt Oe - Human Wizard - Dual staff wielding Illusionist and former Red Wizard from Thay
tgadd - Otin Glorygem - Dwarf Knight - unknown
glassjaws - [holding name] 3PAC - human warlock - will enjoy burning things
Dr. Samuel Fergusson - Porcupine - Elf Ranger - archer
ldancer911 - Spiros - Wilden Shaman - healer with spirit bear summon
Stillgreen - Aeo - Human Monk - punches the crap out of things. wind based attacks
TNL - C.L. Eric - Human Cleric - Heals an supports others. Mostly from range.

uPDATED ON 2/7 TO NEWEST LIST
Attached Files
File Type: xls Character Quick Facts.xls (27.5 KB, 396 views)

Last edited by Abused Student; 03-01-2013 at 02:56 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 AM
SOA

Options to make things move quicker:

When moving around a dungeon, maze, or something like that, elect one person to be the party leader who will direct the party. This will all stop when monsters are encountered, a door is opened, or anything significant like that happens.

Each person keeps track of their own experience, hit points, inventory and everything else. That will free me up to keep my part moving along instead of keeping up with everyone elses stuff. You would be on your honor. Playing should be fun but it is also a priveledge. If you are found to lie to give yourself an advantage, you will be removed from the game.

Rolls can be done by the DM (me) or by the player. I suggest though that large groups of rolls should be submitted if you are rolling for yourself. Likewise, targets should be submitted in groups. This way we do not have to wait on anybody. For example:

4Sig can send me 20 d20 rolls. He knows that his weapon does d6 in damage so he sends me 10 of these. (how much damage a weapon does is found in the Player Handbook, don't worry if this doesn't make sense yet). He can also tell me that he wants to attack the centaur in the middle until it has collapsed or fled and then move to the one on the left unless he falls below 3 hit points in which case he wants to completely defend.

In this situation, I can completely run through the entire battle, not having to wait on 4sig. If everyone does this, things will continue to move.

Last edited by Abused Student; 06-20-2008 at 11:35 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 11:46 AM

in! I'm fine with any type of character. I know 2nd edition mostly.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:50 AM
fruitbasket

Studying for nothingness
Favorite beer: Totally Naked

Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvma View Post
in! I'm fine with any type of character. I know 2nd edition mostly.
Glad to have you. Just like in the other game, you can choose one of 4sigs predone characters or you can create your own. Being first in, you can choose whatever you want.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 PM
BingBoing

I think I could manage to do the day time game. How often/long will this be played? As for character, I think I prefer ranger. I might be able to make my own, but I might just go with the pre-made one.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
95% confidence man
SOA AAA

College: Caltech Alumni
Favorite beer: root

Be aware that the "predone" characters I linked earlier are built in 4th edition and may require some tweaking to play in other editions. Hit points, for example, are much higher in 4th edition -- because people found it was frustrating to start a 1st level wizard with 4 hit points and die the first time you got a big hit from an orc. In 4th edition the wizard has something like 20 hp now at 1st level. Spells per day are also substantially different. Magic Missile can be cast at will now, for example, but it requires an attack roll to hit.

Oh, and I'm patronizing the tavern until further notice, but if it looks like there's a shortage of volunteers in line at the Council building, I might mosey over.

Edited to add: To compliment J.T.'s x.p. links, below, here are a set of links to loot:

Total loot up to the point we killed the room full of goblins

(List is obviously not complete yet. This is a work in progress.)

Last edited by 4sigma; 07-17-2009 at 04:11 AM..
Old 06-20-2008, 12:35 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing - I'm done!

This has to be one of the iest threads on the AO, and I'm totally lost.

Edit for important posts:

Latest summary and experience points as of 1/7/09
Experience for battle finished 1/31 Take this and divide by 10.
Loot for Swampbattle #3
Loot for Swampbattle #2
Loot for Swampbattle #1
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ostcount=11863 - xp for pirate ship battle.
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ostcount=12244 - Gimli's drunk bar battle xp
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ostcount=12320 - xp for burying farmer's boy
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...ostcount=12461 - xp for surviving night with satyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abused Student View Post
You find a stone set on a chain. Flame looks at it and says it is a Foe Stone. As a minor action (at will) you can choose one creature you can see. You learn the target's vulnerabilities as well as which of its defenses is lowest.

You also find a small ivory figurine of a goat. Flame admires it and says it is an Ivory Goat of Travail. As a standard action, you use the figurine to call a white goat. As a free action you can spend a healing surge when activating the item to give the creature temp hit points equal to your healing surge.

Initiative is the same as it's caller
HP 9
AC 21, Fort 20, Ref 19, Will 18, Speed 6

Rams charge (standard at will) +14 vs AC 2d6+3 damage and the target is pushed 2 squares and knocked prone. This can be used as part of a charge.

Goat Rush (standard at will) +11 vs Fort, target pushed 1 square and the ivory goat shifts into the vacated spot.

Flame takes out a rust colored bag and says the Council will want the party to have this.

He tells you if you use a standard action and a healing surge and reach into the bag, you can summon a creature. Initiative is the same as you and the creature has to be created within 5 squares of you. It costs the holder a minor action to issue commands, the creature then gets a standard 3 set of actions. Summoned creatures are minions, meaning they have 1 HP and if hit they disappear but a miss causes no damage.

Beasts stats (unmodified)
AC 28, Fort 28, Ref 26, Will 24, Speed 6

Bite or Claw (standard at will) +21 vs AC, 7 damage

1 Bear, if melee hits, target is grabbed
2 Ape, if melee hits, target is dazed (save ends)
3 Wolf, if melee hits, target knocked prone
4 Bull, if melee hits, target pushed 2 squares
5 Spider, if melee hits, target takes 5 ongoing poison (save ends)
6 Warhorse, rider gains +5 bonus to damage rolls while mounted
7 Macetail Behemoth, has reach 2 to its attack
8 Rage Drake, deals 10 damage instead of 7

Roll a d8

Last edited by J.T.; 08-29-2013 at 02:01 PM..