Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet the Employees of DW Simpson
Patty Jacobsen Simpson, Bob Morand, Kristyn Sakelaris, Sean Loboda, KC Cho, Maureen Matous, Ellen Page
Aaron Benton, Becki Tobia, Kimberly Skora, Margit Vogele, Barclay Burns, Jason Blundy, Dan Karrow, Tom Troceen
Valorie Mulder, Marianne Westphal, Carol Lee, Jennifer Retford, Kieran Welsh-Phillips, Lindsey Nelson, Emily Paxton
Angie Wachholz, Derek Mulder, Julie Garwood, Caitlin Cunningham, David Benton, Dave Retford, Sarah Cleveland, Rhonda Glick
Genevieve Shannon, Meghan Bautista, Carol Datu, Barb Rave, Jesus Perez, Dan Kane, Chris Zdenek, Scott Simon, Kriss Wells

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Lucy

Default AAA wants to remove the experience requirement

So it looks like the AAA wants to remove its experience requirement for membership,and just rely on the experience requirement for qualification (which is much less public information.) Personally, I think this is a really bad idea. I don't see any special benefit in admitting ASAs with fewer than 3 years of experience, the MAAA requirement means little enough as it is, and I presume that as a member of the SoA (or CAS, or whatever) these people are already required to maintain professional standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by email from AAA
Members asked to approve proposed bylaw changes
Next month, Academy members will be asked to vote on two bylaw changes by the Board of Directors. The Board recommends these changes for approval.
In the first change, the Board is asking members to eliminate the redundancy in the current membership requirements that Academy members have three years' experience. The new Qualification Standards include an experience requirement which the Board believes better serves the Academy's mission. This change will also allow the Academy to invite all newly credentialed associates to join.
In the second change, the Board is asking for discretion to determine when dues waivers are appropriate, in light of the profession's evolving demographics and work patterns.
The following link takes you to the proposed bylaw changes themselves: http://www.actuary.org/pdf/academy/bylaws_july08.pdf.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Will Durant

Couple this with the CIA proposal to grant ASAs pretty much by college credit, and
Old 07-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Studying for CAS5,CAS6,CAS7,CAS8,CAS9
Favorite beer: please do not mock my preference for Dos Equis
Wink

Might increases due's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
So it looks like the AAA wants to remove its experience requirement for membership,and just rely on the experience requirement for qualification (which is much less public information.) Personally, I think this is a really bad idea. I don't see any special benefit in admitting ASAs with fewer than 3 years of experience, the MAAA requirement means little enough as it is, and I presume that as a member of the SoA (or CAS, or whatever) these people are already required to maintain professional standards.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Durant View Post
Couple this with the CIA proposal to grant ASAs pretty much by college credit, and
Will that have much effect remains to be seen
Old 07-21-2008, 04:16 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

I agree with Lucy and Will.
The three year experience requirement came about in 1979 as a relaxation of standards to extend AAA membership for all ASA and ACAS who could meet that requirement. That was how I became a member in 1979 as an ASA with ten years of actuarial experience. The quality of experience required was not defined and, as I recall, at least one AAA board member resigned in protest that this new standard was way too lax. IMO, it was (and still is) too lax.

Now they want to delete this completely? I not only think this is a bad idea, I think the relevant actuarial experience requirement should be strengthened.
I agree wholeheartedly with Will that this is especially critical for new ASA's who have met much lower actuarial knowledge requirements than their ACAS counterparts.

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater
Old 07-21-2008, 04:21 PM

Pardon my youth and inexperience, but what was the requirement prior to 1979?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Hires Root
Lightbulb MAAA pre-'79 = Member, American Aristocracy of Actuaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Pardon my youth and inexperience, but what was the requirement prior to 1979?
FSA/FCAS, letters of recommendation from 2 members. Considered more prestigious & valuable than FSA/FCAS. Allowing ASAs & ACASs was a big change, but EAs had already been grandfathered as members.

Last edited by Take 2; 07-21-2008 at 05:18 PM..
Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

This is a very good idea that I have advocated for years. Now that the 3-year experience requirement is included in the qualification standard, an identical requirement for admission is simply redundant. It can accomplish just one thing -- keeping younger (or just newer) actuaries out of the AAA. Why would we want to do that?

When I became an FSA in 1976, I did not meet the 3-year requirement and ended up postponing my application to join the AAA until 1986! Was that helpful to me or to the AAA? I think not.

We need to do all we can to get all U.S. actuaries into the AAA. Eliminating the now-redundant experience requirement is a step in the right direction.

Bruce
Old 07-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Lucy

The requirement is not redundant, it guarantees that membership in the AAA means you have some experience. Requiring experience to sign this or that document is quite different, and much harder for our customers to understand. It is bad for the AAA, and more specifically, for qualified actuaries who are members of the AAA, to have unqualified members. If professional status is a "signal", meant to tell the market something (such as, "I'm probably qualified to do your job.") opening up membership to unqualified actuaries significantly weakens that signal.

Yes, just because you're qualified in one field doesn't mean you are qualified in another, and perhaps you aren't qualified in the field a potential client wants. And yes, you still have to have that "am I qualified for this piece of work" discussion, even with the 3 year requirement. But credentials ought to be simple, easy-to-understand signals. The 3 year requirement facilitates that.

How does it benefit anyone to get all US actuaries into the AAA? They are already bound by professional standards from their accrediting organization, are they not? Besides, I'm thinking that with this change the AAA becomes almost meaniningless, and there's no reason for FCASs or FSAs to bother maintaining membership. (unless they want to support the AAA's public policy role, which honestly, many US actuaries neither understand nor care about.) I would expect this to reduce membership over a few years, as the credential loses value.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:37 AM

So the next natural question is -- why is there an AAA?

Tags
aaa, count the votes, make you're vote count