Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when our jobs meet your criteria.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Default "a good fit" what does this mean?

Hello,

Perhaps someone can help me out with this. When an emplyer says they're looking for someone who's "a good fit" what does that really mean.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:44 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovin' View Post
Hello,

Perhaps someone can help me out with this. When an emplyer says they're looking for someone who's "a good fit" what does that really mean.
a number of things -

1) We need someone to do the grunt work
2) We need a self starter
3) We need someone willing to work irregular hours
4) We need someone who matches our corporate enivronment
a) We are very conservative, we need someone to blend in
b) We have no dress code and open seating we need someone who will fit in
5) We need someone who can hit the ground running
6) We need someone to travel
etc, etc, etc

a lot of actuaries may have the correct skills to do a job, but will they be happy with the job and the work environment
Old 03-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Hello,

If you did not piss anyone off during the interview process, then you might be a good fit.
If you did piss anyone off during the interview process, then you will be a bad fit.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: real alcoholics don't drink beer

The job search is often compared to dating. Most girls have the required anatomy and some will meet your standards for hotness, intellegence, whatever. But the one you can actually tolerate (clothed) for a few days in a row is the "good fit".
Old 03-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Thanks. Looking for someone who's "a good fit" seems to fly in the face of a company claiming they want diversity.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:07 PM
eagles418

Quote:
Hello,

It's a "cop out" term used by companies when they don't feel like giving you real feedback. A similar example is when companies reject you by saying, "We decided to go with candidates who fit the job description better." Don't take it personal if you hear it in a negative context from time to time. The best way to counter is to use "good fit" in your cover letter or letter of inquiry.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

Studying for retirement
Favorite beer: Whatever is on special

Quote:
Thanks. Looking for someone who's "a good fit" seems to fly in the face of a company claiming they want diversity.
Companies generally wnat "diversity" if it means different races, ethnic groups, religions or other protected classes as defined by the government.

They don't want "diversity" if it means talking back to the boss, if the culture is "do as I say"; or not socializing after work if the culture is "we all go out together after work on Friday".
Old 03-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Studying for C

fwiw "you weren't a good fit" was literally the only reason given to me by the company I interned for when they explained why they weren't offering me a full-time position. Even when I followed up, I got nothing else.

It's a bullplop hr term that basically means "we're hiring who we like the most, credentials and everything else be damned.'
Old 03-06-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Depends on your perspective, if they want diversity and the person is not a minority then the person is not a good fit.

In general, you need to get along with the team of people who you will work with. Also, if the company has a sales culture and you are not a sales person then even though you have technical skills you are not a good fit for the position which has sales goals.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flengi View Post
fwiw "you weren't a good fit" was literally the only reason given to me by the company I interned for when they explained why they weren't offering me a full-time position. Even when I followed up, I got nothing else.

It's a bullplop hr term that basically means "we're hiring who we like the most, credentials and everything else be damned.'
It does not make for a good work environment if you don't like the people who work around you.

Think about TO on a football team. He may have WR skills, but he's bad for team chemistry (if you believe his critics - I happen to think his teammates are less than professional and like to blame a scape goat like TO for their own incompetance and failure).