Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet the Employees of DW Simpson
Patty Jacobsen Simpson, Bob Morand, Kristyn Sakelaris, Sean Loboda, KC Cho, Maureen Matous, Ellen Page
Aaron Benton, Becki Tobia, Kimberly Skora, Margit Vogele, Barclay Burns, Jason Blundy, Dan Karrow, Tom Troceen
Valorie Mulder, Marianne Westphal, Carol Lee, Jennifer Retford, Kieran Welsh-Phillips, Lindsey Nelson, Emily Paxton
Angie Wachholz, Derek Mulder, Julie Garwood, Caitlin Cunningham, David Benton, Dave Retford, Sarah Cleveland, Rhonda Glick
Genevieve Shannon, Meghan Bautista, Carol Datu, Barb Rave, Jesus Perez, Dan Kane, Chris Zdenek, Scott Simon, Kriss Wells

Old 07-07-2009, 05:57 AM

Default Baptism - How much to "donate" to priest

We had our pre baptism meeting last night and it was made pretty clear that a donation would have to be made but the priest would not tell us how much.

Does anyone have any idea of how much is generally expected?

Any help would be great.

Cheers
Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 AM
SOA AAA

How evasive is this guy being? Did he state a "most people donate $X" rule of thumb?

Is the congregation really competitive with outshining each other? That might jack up the price.

My policy is, if he offers no "guidance" on the price, he takes what I bloody well give him. And I'm stingy. It's like those "pay what you want" tickets to plays and museums. I'll throw in a couple of bucks, but I'm not paying full-price.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 AM
frequent poster

Studying for exam 97
College: Phoenix On-Line
Favorite beer: TC-17x97

From some quick google searching:

Neither the baby's parents nor the godparents are under any obligation to "tip" a Catholic priest officiating at a baptism. However, many families do give the church a monetary gift in gratitude for the priest's services, and to cover the cost of such ceremonies (keeping the church lit and air-conditioned, for example). Some parishes formally request a donation when preparing parents for the baptism (see, for example, this church's letter to parents).

According to Father James Martin of America Magazine, a donation from $25 to $100 would be appropriate, depending on the family's circumstances. Typically, this gift would be provided by the baby's parents and would be given to the priest or to the parish office. Religious-order priests (such as Franciscans) are required to turn in to their superiors any honorariums they receive, however small; diocesan priests are not, but would ordinarily turn in to their parish any amount larger than a token sum.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Im the first of my friends to have kids and my wife isnt catholic so none of her friends have been through it.

Priest gave us no indication of a ball park figure.
He said that they had bills to pay and any donation would be greatly appreciated.

There will be prob 7-10 other babies being baptised at the same time so im worried about looking stingy (which I am!!).
Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 AM
frequent poster

Studying for exam 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjoachim View Post
Thanks for the help guys. Im the first of my friends to have kids and my wife isnt catholic so none of her friends have been through it.

He said that they had bills to pay and any donation would be greatly appreciated.

There will be prob 7-10 other babies being baptised at the same time so im worried about looking stingy (which I am!!).
Wow, your wife isn't Catholic? My mom wasn't either when she married my dad who is Catholic. Eventually she converted when I was about 10-12. The preist said that because she converted the asteriks next to my and my brother's names (in whatever book the priest was talking about) would now be erased. He meant that in the eyes of the church, we were *******s until my mom converted.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
Wow, your wife isn't Catholic? My mom wasn't either when she married my dad who is Catholic. Eventually she converted when I was about 10-12. The preist said that because she converted the asteriks next to my and my brother's names (in whatever book the priest was talking about) would now be erased. He meant that in the eyes of the church, we were *******s until my mom converted.
I'd think that was not because she hadn't converted, but because your parents weren't married in the Catholic Church at the time of your birth. You CAN marry a non-Catholic in the Catholic Church as long as you get a dispensation from the Bishop and promise to raise the kids Catholic. Was that by any chance one of those older than dirt priests who thought Vatican II was the work of the devil? Or did you not get baptized until your mom converted?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:57 AM

Oh, and $100 should be fine, particularly if it's a bunch of babies being baptized together. If you wrangled a private baptism and Mass, then more would be appropriate.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 AM

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer

I gave $0 for both of my kids. I've never heard of the Priest fanagling money for this.
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjoachim View Post

If you're worried about looking stingy, then however much you "donate", put it in an envelope first. It's really no one's business how much you "donate", and an envelope will ensure that.

If the priest is stacking them 7-10 deep, than I'd throw him a $20 and call it even. If he thinks it should be more, he can find you and argue his case. If it were a private baptism, I'd say you should give him more. But if it's a group ceremony, $20 should cover it. It's not like the holy water is getting flown in from the Vatican, right?

"Bills to pay"?? Hey, he's a single guy with free room and board--what kind of bills can he have?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:01 AM
frequent poster

Studying for exam 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I'd think that was not because she hadn't converted, but because your parents weren't married in the Catholic Church at the time of your birth. You CAN marry a non-Catholic in the Catholic Church as long as you get a dispensation from the Bishop and promise to raise the kids Catholic. Was that by any chance one of those older than dirt priests who thought Vatican II was the work of the devil? Or did you not get baptized until your mom converted?
I forget which priest it was that said that to my mom. My parents were married (not in a catholic church) in like 1967. My mom's conversion was in the mid-80's. My mom got all the relevant sacraments at once that day, including a catholic redo-matrimony.

I was baptized shortly after birth in the mid-70's.

I think the priest's argument was that because my parents weren't married in the eyes of the catholic church, my brother and I were *******s.

BTW, I think it's dumb that bastrds gets ******-ed out.

And thanks for taking me off ignore, Loner!