Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 2/FM - Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS - From Entry to Fellow

Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 AM
SOA

Studying for FETE
Default Difficulty of TIA Exams

I just took the first TIA practice exam and thought it was much harder than the SOA and ASM exams that I've had no problem with. I actually scored worse on TIA 1 than ASM 3.

To those who sat for the exam in May and took the TIA sample exams - are the harder questions on TIA outside of the scope of the real exam or do I have a lot of work to do? How different was the May exam from the SOA tests from '05 (aside from having more Derivative Markets)?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Philosopher King

Studying for FAP.... eventually

I also think the wording of the TIA exams is a bit funky in a few questions.

P FM MLC MFE C
Old 08-02-2009, 01:09 PM

SOA 05 tests are much easier than the exam now. The TIA exams are comparable I'd say. James does a nice job in creating them. I've heard that the ASM exams are harder than TIA, so I guess it just depends on the person. In any case, if you do both ASM and TIA and do well on them, I'd say you have nothing to worry about.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Yuengling

hah, I just took the first TIA exam. Overall I felt it was a lot harder than the ASM exams. I don't think the real exam will be as difficult. There were a lot of very hard symbolic questions.

Although, I'm going to attribute some of my poor performance to the music that started blasting upstairs around question 10.. which lasted to question 18.. followed by a grand finale of the loudest sex I've ever heard (literally, louder than Tyler Durden and Marla Singer in "Fight Club" ) on question 20 through question 23.

Last edited by GoldenGoal; 08-08-2009 at 10:07 PM..
Old 08-09-2009, 10:45 AM

so if i score 35/35 on ASM1-5 and both TIA's now (obviously not on the first time i've taken them all), i will pass right?!

at this point I find it so hard to study because every question I look at, I think to myself "wow I've done one like this 100 times over" and can't focus enough to actually do another one just like it. So I'm really hoping on the exam I get questions like this that I've seen 100 times before!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:10 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahl1286 View Post
so if i score 35/35 on ASM1-5 and both TIA's now (obviously not on the first time i've taken them all), i will pass right?!
You should pass. If you do not pass, it is because you are memorizing the answers to those questions, rather than understanding the concepts.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
hah, I just took the first TIA exam. Overall I felt it was a lot harder than the ASM exams. I don't think the real exam will be as difficult. There were a lot of very hard symbolic questions.

Although, I'm going to attribute some of my poor performance to the music that started blasting upstairs around question 10.. which lasted to question 18.. followed by a grand finale of the loudest sex I've ever heard (literally, louder than Tyler Durden and Marla Singer in "Fight Club" ) on question 20 through question 23.

Somehow I don't think that this will be part of the exam envrionment.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:24 PM
SOA

Studying for FETE

To answer my own question with a sample size of 1 for anyone else who's wondering...

I took TIA 2 yesterday and got 24/35 using all the time to check my work.

Took SOA 11/05 today and got 24/25 (no typo in the denominator) in an hour and a half without going back to check (Just a stupid mistake converting annual effective IR to a "semi-annual effective")
Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 AM

See I thought ASM 3 was the hardest. I do well in TIA, but maybe it's cuz I watched all the lessons from them, and understand James' way with the calculator more than the algebraic ways. Actually some of the problems in actuarial brew are harder than some ASM ones to me?! However, I'm consistently getting close to 30/35 on all exams. I think my best was a 32, so I feel prepared.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Louis Rich

I just took (first time) SOA May 2005 and got 22/25 but I'm doing fairly crappy on the TIA exams

Tags
the infinite actuary, tia