Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 10-04-2003, 06:58 PM

Default Resume writing for beginners

OK, I am buried in resumes and it sucks. If you want to work for me (and I realize most sane people probably don't), take note:

First, I have 100+ resumes. I want any reason to toss one and not look at it ever again. The bonus of pitching one is that I can leave one of my campus interview slots open, so I get an extra 45 minutes free to make phone calls while I am on campus. Don't give me a reason.

So: Don't let there be any chance that I will look at your resume and not notice your exams. I mean totally impossible. Because after looking for 5 seconds, I may toss it in the trash (it's like I just created 45 minutes out of thin air!). If I see an exam in the first 5 seconds, I give you my personal guarantee I will read the rest of the resume, no matter how bad it is. Now, the rest may be bad, but honestly, do you want me to read your bad resume or throw it away?

It's a good idea to have a separate section for exams, but not always necessary. Because if I miss it, your resume probably got tossed in favor of somebody who put exams in bold.

This guy has a section called "Related Coursework", and under it, has "Actuarial Models", "Survival Models", "Actuarial Pricing", "Theory of Interest", "Passed SOA Course 1", "and Life Contingencies". Did you read all of those? Because I just skimmed, lucky for him I read the one that mattered (none of the rest did - he has a degree from an actuarial school, so I don't care which actuarial classes he took, I am sure they are good). So, now, I am reading his resume, but I am ticked off at him for making me hunt. He probably didn't want me to be mad at him while reading his resume. If I find a typo, it's all over (that should be generally true regardless, but for this guy it's a certainty; I may have more patience if I liked him).

Next, if you have an internship, that's a BIG DEAL. Your job at the mall is ok to mention, but I don't care very much. If the internship is four lines on your resume, while the mall is three lines, that is a big mistake. HUGE.

I'll be back with more later. These resumes suck.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:02 PM

OK, next resume:

TYPOS are bad!!!!

I don't normally allow typos when I am posting on the RF. When our campus recruiter sends out letters to candidates, I proof them before they go out. And, most of these people I am not all that interested in, but I am not going to let them see a typo in a letter from my company. If you have two typos in your resume and/or cover letter, it's gone. I will occasionally forgive one, but it's tough to get over, and believe me, it will be circled on the resume that I have in the interview, don't think it's forgotten just because I took a chance and invited you for an interview. So, sit down and talk to me for 45 minutes, but you are starting with one strike because you obviously don't have enough friends to find one willing to proofread your resume.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:12 PM

Exerpt from some clown that I would never interview:

Some generic job
provide training and support for sales force
lead motivational team meetings
planned and implemented tracking guidelines for managers

If you can't see what's wrong with these bullet points, get a book on resume writing.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:18 PM

OK, this guy actually took the time to find out the name of the person responsible for recruiting, and addressed a letter to him. Thanks for the effort. If you take that attitude with your job search, I will assume that you might take some initiative to treat clients well. Looking forward to meeting up with you on campus. Wish you didn't have that typo in your cover letter, but I can get over it.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:29 PM

Another issue where you can keep me from getting stressed - make it clear what you are looking for - intern or permanent. If there is an "Objective" line, and you leave that out....

If you have no "Objective" line, then I hope I can quickly find your graduation date and determine what you want. Please don't make me spend extra time figuring it out. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:33 PM

This person passed Exam 1 in April 2003. (If I am wrong and this is somehow possible, will somebody please PM me?)
Old 10-04-2003, 07:38 PM

(I realize that I am just b*%$&ing now, but this is pathetic)

This person: two lines to describe their actuarial internship, and two to describe their job at Tchotchkies, including the fact that they wore a lot of flair. Also, I never heard of this company, and I think your description of it as an "actuarial internship" is intentionally misleading. If it is, believe me, I will find out in the interview, and it will be painful. There's a difference between salesmanship and lying.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:42 PM
glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley
(I realize that I am just b*%$&ing now, but this is pathetic)
No, no. Please, continue.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:47 PM

Do you want me to be happy while reading your resume or angry? Do you have a smile on your face when you are looking at something pretty or something ugly. I'm not saying it has to be a work of art, but if it wasn't printed on an laser printer, I probably won't be happy.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:51 PM

OK, if you are in college, go get your resume RIGHT NOW. Then, get any resumes from ANYBODY ELSE YOU KNOW.

Have any of you "Passed SOA Coarse 1 November 2002"?