Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:55 AM
SOA President
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Red Stripe
Default FEM Letters

Over 1,000 letters from members of our various North American actuarial organizations have been received. The SOA staff is busy tabulating the responses and should have summary and detail information out to the SOA board in advance of the board meeting in late October. The summary will indicate opinion (pro/con/neutral) and will be summarized by demographic (such as SOA/CAS member) as far as possible.

Although I haven't read them (yet), I've been told that the responses are generally well written and articulate, and mostly take a clear position. I can give you an indication that the responses are heavily against FEM (probably no surprise to the AO). The count isn't final but it's probably 80% against, for various reasons. There's a minority in favor, and there's also a small number who don't express an opinion.

Let me quickly add, this is unofficial, and I'm speaking here as an individual. This is not the official position of the Steering Committee, the SOA, or anybody else. This is all my opinion and based on not-fully-complete information.

What will happen next is that the SOA board (also CAS, CIA boards) will get this feedback and they will consider what to do next. I personally would not favor moving forward with FEM, not in its current form, not without major modifications. And it will have to move more slowly rather than more quickly. I know many people would prefer to throw out the whole idea, but I'm not there. At least not now. I would like to see and digest the arguments in the letters, both pro and con. And I do think there are "pro" arguments.

As I've mentioned before, this is an exploration. Maybe it's a terrible idea but the outcome was never pre-ordained. There was no conspiracy to push this through without involving the members (if there was, they left me out of it!). And nobody is making or will make any money out of it as far as I can tell.

Your opinions on the AO are also taken into consideration. Also your PMs to me (some more tasteful than others!). So, everyone is making a contribution and that's the best way to get to the best answer.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the update Mike.

Althought I am in the camp that FEM is burned, I know that's not going to happen. I hope that in the future, if changes are made, and implementation is pending, we are given another opportunity for feedback.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Thank you, Mike.

I am in the opposed camp. To be honest, I do not see any way the proposal could be modified to make it acceptable. However, I will continue to try to keep an open mind on the subject.

The very first step that the proponents must take to gain acceptance is to state much more clearly than has happened so far, just what the problem is that needs so-called FEM as a solution.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.

Last edited by JMO; 09-28-2009 at 07:47 AM.. Reason: to expose the BIG LIE
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLaughlin View Post
There was no conspiracy to push this through without involving the members (if there was, they left me out of it!).
Thanks for posting Mike. I've gone out of my way to keep an open mind on FEM and thought that it was quite a separate issue from everything that is going on with the AAA. But what are we supposed to make of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
The person who made the motion to remove me cited FEM as his primary motivation.

Bruce
Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Mike-if you could update on the letters: how many were from organizations? If there are 1000 letters and 80% against, how much more does it tip the scales if major employers are against?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Official AO Master Chef

Thanks for the update!

Quote:
...and there's also a small number who don't express an opinion.
I found this pretty funny though. I mean, why go to the trouble of writing a letter if you have no opinion. (Although, I guess that's never stopped me from posting on the AO.)
Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM
SOA

Studying for feasibility
College: Michigan
Favorite beer: The really tall one

Viva la Actuarial Outpost!
Quote:
Over 1,000 letters from members of our various North American actuarial organizations have been received. The SOA staff is busy tabulating the responses and should have summary and detail information out to the SOA board in advance of the board meeting in late October. The summary will indicate opinion (pro/con/neutral) and will be summarized by demographic (such as SOA/CAS member) as far as possible.

Although I haven't read them (yet), I've been told that the responses are generally well written and articulate, and mostly take a clear position. I can give you an indication that the responses are heavily against FEM (probably no surprise to the AO). The count isn't final but it's probably 80% against, for various reasons. There's a minority in favor, and there's also a small number who don't express an opinion.

Let me quickly add, this is unofficial, and I'm speaking here as an individual. This is not the official position of the Steering Committee, the SOA, or anybody else. This is all my opinion and based on not-fully-complete information.

What will happen next is that the SOA board (also CAS, CIA boards) will get this feedback and they will consider what to do next. I personally would not favor moving forward with FEM, not in its current form, not without major modifications. And it will have to move more slowly rather than more quickly. I know many people would prefer to throw out the whole idea, but I'm not there. At least not now. I would like to see and digest the arguments in the letters, both pro and con. And I do think there are "pro" arguments.

As I've mentioned before, this is an exploration. Maybe it's a terrible idea but the outcome was never pre-ordained. There was no conspiracy to push this through without involving the members (if there was, they left me out of it!). And nobody is making or will make any money out of it as far as I can tell.

Your opinions on the AO are also taken into consideration. Also your PMs to me (some more tasteful than others!). So, everyone is making a contribution and that's the best way to get to the best answer.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:43 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothing!!!!
College: Lehigh University Alum
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Thanks for the update.

Play in the AO Prediction Game now!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM
David Revelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX. View Post
Thanks for the update!

I found this pretty funny though. I mean, why go to the trouble of writing a letter if you have no opinion. (Although, I guess that's never stopped me from posting on the AO.)
Some people have said that they wrote initial letters complaining that the comment period was too short and then a second letter with an opinion--it seems likely that the initial letter in such a case was counted as no opinion.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 AM
SOA President
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Red Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX. View Post
Thanks for the update!

I think some people wrote in but either didn't express an opinion on FEM itself (maybe they commented on the comment period) or their opinion wasn't completely clear to SOA staff people.

Tags
fem, i can haz fsa?, mclaughlin