Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

CANADIAN ACTUARIAL JOBS

Old 11-13-2009, 12:45 AM
SOA

Studying for FSA Modules
Default Resume paper - watermark?

I got some "resume paper" to see what all the hub-bub was about. After I print a copy of my resume on this paper, I realize there is a watermark or something of the sort on the paper. It says something like 25% Cotton and Diamond White. Is this normal? I think I would just prefer some normal paper rather than have some writing in the "background". Checked all the sheets and sure enough its not just a mistake unless it occurred to my entire batch.

F-9 - As long as you learn more than you forget, you'll be OK.

Last edited by Sarengo; 11-13-2009 at 02:20 AM.. Reason: one word makes a difference
Old 11-13-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarengo View Post
I got some "resume paper" to see what all the hub-bub was about. After I print a copy of my resume on this paper, I realize there is a watermark or something of the sort on the paper. It says something like 25% Cotton and Diamond White. Is this normal? I think I would just prefer some normal paper rather than have some writing in the "background". Checked all the sheets and sure enough its just a mistake unless it occurred to my entire batch.
Watermark means it's good quality paper. If you use it make sure it's printed right side up. When you're holding the resume like you're reading it, the watermark should be readable (I don't mean visible, but the writing should be right side up and not backwards). Not a deal breaker obviously but why risk the recruiter noticing it's backwards and thinking you are sloppy?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:24 AM
SOA

Studying for FSA Modules

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey View Post
Watermark means it's good quality paper. If you use it make sure it's printed right side up. When you're holding the resume like you're reading it, the watermark should be readable (I don't mean visible, but the writing should be right side up and not backwards). Not a deal breaker obviously but why risk the recruiter noticing it's backwards and thinking you are sloppy?
What if it is visible to the point that it stands out against my resume? You can see it no matter how you hold the page (by itself, with a stack, up to the light, with light shining onto it). Eh, not sure I'll end up using this paper. Thank you for the confirmation though.

F-9 - As long as you learn more than you forget, you'll be OK.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarengo View Post
What if it is visible to the point that it stands out against my resume? You can see it no matter how you hold the page (by itself, with a stack, up to the light, with light shining onto it). Eh, not sure I'll end up using this paper. Thank you for the confirmation though.
Hah, that is a little weird, might be distracting. And besides, 25% cotton isn't all that great, if it's going to be so visible it should at least be 100% cotton, lol. Your instincts are probably right not to use it because whoever picks up the paper will probably think the same thing.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:25 AM

Please don't obsess over a detail like this. Maybe one person will handle that resume. Everyone else will get a photocopy or a version that they printed from your electronic copy. I went through this in 1978 (just after we quit chiseling our resumes on stone tablets) and after going out and buying fancy paper I noticed that nearly everyone who interviewed me was working with a photocopy.