Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet Marianne Westphal - DW Simpson Senior Director

Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee First Ballot Candidates are posted - Post questions to candidates here!

Old 11-30-2009, 06:09 PM

Studying for FAP
College: University of Toronto
Default MLC + MFE should be offered more often

I really think there should be a push for MLC and MFE to be offered at 3 or 4 times a year. The number of exams passed is one of the most important factors in getting an entry level job. Failing an exam could potentially lead to 6 additional months of unemployment (or at least getting an actuarial job) until one has a shot at passing an exam again. Seriously, that's a long time to wait. I understand it's OK for the upper level exams because most people are working at that point, but MLC and MFE really need to be offered more often. It really sucks having to wait that long to get another shot at getting an entry level job, especially as more and more people have 3-4 exams upon completion of university.

I'm just speaking from my own personal experience. I know exam C is offered 3 times a year, yet MLC and MFE are still only offered twice.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalengr View Post
I really think there should be a push for MLC and MFE to be offered at 3 or 4 times a year. The number of exams passed is one of the most important factors in getting an entry level job. Failing an exam could potentially lead to 6 additional months of unemployment (or at least getting an actuarial job) until one has a shot at passing an exam again. Seriously, that's a long time to wait. I understand it's OK for the upper level exams because most people are working at that point, but MLC and MFE really need to be offered more often. It really sucks having to wait that long to get another shot at getting an entry level job, especially as more and more people have 3-4 exams upon completion of university.

I'm just speaking from my own personal experience. I know exam C is offered 3 times a year, yet MLC and MFE are still only offered twice.
Patience. Converting over to CBT takes time. They're targeting about one every other year, I think.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Past SOA President
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA '76
College: MIT '74

MFE is next in line (after C), then MLC. It's a couple of years away still, but inevitable.

Bruce
Old 11-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Anonymouse

The number of candidates will increase as the exam frequency increases. We've already seen this over the past few years. Things will just get even more competitive, especially in Canada since we don't have to be as reliant on those schools. I have more resumes with multiple exams passed than I know what to do with.

Increasing frequency will also compound concerns some employers have voiced with the decreasing amount of experience that new Fellows have.

Sorry bud. No free lunch.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 PM

Studying for VEEs & FAP
College: University at Buffalo Alumni
Favorite beer: Corona w/ Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
The number of candidates will increase as the exam frequency increases. We've already seen this over the past few years. Things will just get even more competitive, especially in Canada since we don't have to be as reliant on those schools. I have more resumes with multiple exams passed than I know what to do with.

Increasing frequency will also compound concerns some employers have voiced with the decreasing amount of experience that new Fellows have.

Sorry bud. No free lunch.

It's sad but true. As much as I like being able to have taken P/1 in September, and FM/2 this December, they ultimately carry less value in terms of employment.

If you have more frequent chances to pass an exam, then so does everybody else, and the oversupply of candidates will only get worse. Maybe when we get out of the recession, and everybody realizes that the entry-level job market is even worse than it is now, people will wake up. Even if the recession never happened, at this rate, we would eventually get to an oversupplied market.

This profession is incredibly volitile, due to the fact that it's so small. If a small profession (with great perks) suddenly becomes knowledge to the general public (say, listed in a "best jobs" article), we will suddenly get too many people interested in the profession, and the number of people passing exams will eventually become larger than the entry-level jobs available... then the oversupply comes, and eventually the perks start to lessen in shift with supply and demand. Then again, this profession wasn't able to be hidden forever... (not that anyone was trying to hide it, beanactuary.com for instance).

What we need to do now is drive people away... dontbeanactuary.com! Filled with FEM goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
REPENT
THE END IS NIGH
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluan View Post
You sound way too excited about studying for 7.

A bit of studying will fix that, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk View Post
Nope. 7 is the must pass of all must passes next spring. Can leave absolutely nothing to chance. Study schedule starts on November 15th. Is it nuts? Probably. Will I pass? Definitely. Will it be worth it? Of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKenk's blog
A bit of an early start for a second sitting, but this exam is a must pass, and there's no such thing as too much studying for a must pass
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Dark Force of Risk

Studying for Nada
College: TIA University
Favorite beer: Péché Mortel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprep View Post
the number of people passing exams will eventually become larger than the entry-level jobs available.
Easy solution, expand the CAS's 70% pass mark target to all the exams.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
SOA

Studying for Prelim C and ERM module

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprep View Post

It's sad but true. As much as I like being able to have taken P/1 in September, and FM/2 this December, they ultimately carry less value in terms of employment.

If you have more frequent chances to pass an exam, then so does everybody else, and the oversupply of candidates will only get worse. Maybe when we get out of the recession, and everybody realizes that the entry-level job market is even worse than it is now, people will wake up. Even if the recession never happened, at this rate, we would eventually get to an oversupplied market.

This profession is incredibly volitile, due to the fact that it's so small. If a small profession (with great perks) suddenly becomes knowledge to the general public (say, listed in a "best jobs" article), we will suddenly get too many people interested in the profession, and the number of people passing exams will eventually become larger than the entry-level jobs available... then the oversupply comes, and eventually the perks start to lessen in shift with supply and demand. Then again, this profession wasn't able to be hidden forever... (not that anyone was trying to hide it, beanactuary.com for instance).

What we need to do now is drive people away... dontbeanactuary.com! Filled with FEM goodness.
i am totally agreed with jprep.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Anonymouse

You don't need dontbeanactuary.com. Once it get's to the point where you need 4-5 exams + CFA level one just to be in the running people will find better options.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalengr View Post

A good entry level candidate is better off with exams offered less often. It makes them look alot better when they have 4 exams passed when everybody else has 2-3. If all of the prelims are offered 4 times a year, then the typical candidate will end up with 4-5 prelims completed prior to graduation and the good candidate will seem average.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Anonymouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeAct View Post
A good entry level candidate is better off with exams offered less often. It makes them look alot better when they have 4 exams passed when everybody else has 2-3. If all of the prelims are offered 4 times a year, then the typical candidate will end up with 4-5 prelims completed prior to graduation and the good candidate will seem average.
The good candidate won't be pursuing act sci