Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 1/P - Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

D.W. Simpson & Company International Actuary Jobs
  Canada  Asia  Australia  Life  Pension  Casualty
Bermuda, United Kingdom, Europe, Asia, Worldwide

Old 04-10-2010, 02:17 AM

College: New Jersey Institute of Technology
Default ADAPT Vs. TIA

Which is better?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:23 AM

Studying for C
College: University of State

Kind of like comparing a Honda Civic to an Aston Martin in the actuarial exam prep world...
Old 04-10-2010, 08:59 AM
The Monster at the End of This Thread

what is ADAPT? can we call it DAP for short?
Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 AM
SOA

Studying for C
College: The University of Texas
Favorite beer: Weihenstephaner Vitus

Adapt is just an online testing program, it generates different test with questions based on your level. TIA is a complete online course. They aren't really in the same category, you should be comparing TIA with another study manual, or maybe even a textbook. Plenty to chose from here: actuarialbookstore.com

MLC MFE C
Old 04-10-2010, 01:40 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas210 View Post
Adapt is just an online testing program, it generates different test with questions based on your level. TIA is a complete online course. They aren't really in the same category, you should be comparing TIA with another study manual, or maybe even a textbook. Plenty to chose from here: actuarialbookstore.com
This is very true. ADAPT is designed as a complement to other study materials, not as a substitute for them.

Tim Huffman
ADAPT Author
Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 PM

Well I got a month of ADAPT guys lol...

So far its pretty cool I am starting at level 0 and taking the exam. I am pretty embarrassed I got a 69 on the level 0 exam... Thought I was more prepared then that guess I got a lot more studying to do.

Did any of you start off doing level 0 exams on ADAPT as well? Also is it true once you hit level 6 that you are ready for the actuary exam
Old 04-10-2010, 07:29 PM

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1s4Actuary View Post
Did any of you start off doing level 0 exams on ADAPT as well? Also is it true once you hit level 6 that you are ready for the actuary exam
Yes, that's a good place to start. Not sure about 6 being ready. I ended on an earned level of 10, and that turned out to be accurate.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Nice so you started at level 0 as well? I feel like a dumb #$# for starting that low lol...

So your advice is to get up to a earned level 10 and then take the exam? Sounds like a good strategy to me.

Also, since these ADAPT exams have SOA sample problems involved in them. Do you think I could just take the ADAPT exams to the point where I earn a level 10 and then take a jab at the real actuary exam.

- I have read most of the Actex manual and passed a college prob/stat course so I have previous knowledge of this area of mathematics.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Studying for C

Quote:
Nice so you started at level 0 as well? I feel like a dumb #$# for starting that low lol...

So your advice is to get up to a earned level 10 and then take the exam? Sounds like a good strategy to me.

Also, since these ADAPT exams have SOA sample problems involved in them. Do you think I could just take the ADAPT exams to the point where I earn a level 10 and then take a jab at the real actuary exam.

- I have read most of the Actex manual and passed a college prob/stat course so I have previous knowledge of this area of mathematics.
You said you got a 69% on the level 0 exam... what earned level did that get you? If it's above, say, 4 or 5, then you should be fine just drilling exams and reviewing material as you go. My first earned level was b/w 6 and 7 if I remember correctly, which was 3 weeks before the exam. Everyone learns differently though, so keep re-evaluating as you go. If you feel like you need to spend a couple of days reviewing a tough chapter, then do it.

Also, the mods on the Actuaries4U forum are very helpful - be sure to use them as a resource.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:47 PM

Studying for C

Quote:
so you started at level 0 as well?
Yep. That should almost be mandatory. If the material is too easy, it won't be for the second exam. I always left the exam level as it was, the current earned level.