Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet Aaron Benton, DW Simpson Partner

View Poll Results: How good will your Monday be?
Monday will be awesome! No way I'll have a case of the Mondays. 18 43.90%
Monday will suck, the women here are gross. 7 17.07%
It depends which women I come across during the day. Could go either way. 11 26.83%
42! 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 AM

Default Boobquake 2010

Apparently, on Monday, April 26, 2010 women are supposed to dress as scantily as possible to test the theory that it will cause an earthquake. Any lovely ladies of the AO going to be participating?

Guys, will this make your Monday awesome or disgusting based on your coworkers?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/22...theory/?hpt=T2

article:
Spoiler:
Quote:
It started as a college student’s snide response to an Iranian cleric’s assertion that scantily clad women cause earthquakes.

But as of Thursday, it had become much, much bigger.

Jen McCreight, a self-described atheist, feminist and geek “trapped in Indiana,” took issue with Hojatoleslam Kazim Sadeghi’s message during Friday prayers in Tehran, the Iranian capital.

The hard-line cleric, who was standing in for Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, said women who dress provocatively – thereby tempting men – are to blame for the world’s temblors.

Read cleric story

“When promiscuity spreads, earthquakes increase,” he said. “There is no way other than taking refuge in religion and adapting ourselves to Islamic behavior.”

McCreight, who is pursuing a double major in genetics and evolution, took to her blog, Blag Hag, on Monday, demanding that the world’s women band together in a scientific experiment to test the merits of Sadeghi’s hypothesis.

“Time for a Boobquake,” she wrote. “On Monday, April 26, I will wear the most cleavage-showing shirt I own. ... I encourage other female skeptics to join me and embrace the supposed supernatural power of their breasts. Or short shorts, if that's your preferred form of immodesty.”

She continued, “With the power of our scandalous bodies combined, we should surely produce an earthquake. If not, I'm sure [Sadeghi] can come up with a rational explanation for why the ground didn’t rumble.”

Boobquake’s Twitter account quickly snared more tweets than a bird sanctuary, and its Facebook page had almost 50,000 “confirmed guests” as of Thursday afternoon.

“Nice to know that WOMEN are SO powerful that they can make men AND nature quake with a flash of her breasts! LOL!” wrote one visitor to the Boobquake Facebook page.

McCreight’s idea garnered so much attention, including criticism from people who feared she was making light of natural disasters, the Purdue University senior returned to her blog Wednesday to offer a “quick clarification.”

She acknowledged the widespread attention Boobquake had drawn and said a Canadian newspaper and an Irish radio station had requested interviews with her.

“Because I made a boob joke,” she wrote. “I just want to apologize if this comes off as demeaning toward women. To be honest, it started as a silly joke that I hurriedly fired off since I was about to miss the beginning of ‘House.’ I never thought it would get the attention it did. If I would have known, I would have spent more time being careful about my wording.”

She didn’t back off, however, and said she was asking women to don immodest outfits on the same day “for the sake of the experiment.” To allay concerns of unnamed scientists, she promised to collect statistics on the frequency and severity of earthquakes that day.

“And yes, I know I need a larger sample size to make this good science. Maybe I'll include Mardi Gras in my calculations,” she wrote.

She said no woman should feel pressured to participate.

“It’s not supposed to be serious activism that is going to revolutionize women’s rights, but just a bit of fun juvenile humor,” she wrote. “I’m a firm believer that when someone says something so stupid and hateful, serious discourse isn't going to accomplish anything - sometimes light-hearted mockery is worthwhile.”

Back on Boobquake’s Facebook page, McCreight took a moment to be serious and encouraged followers to consider donating money to the American Red Cross’ disaster relief efforts or to the AHA Foundation, an organization that strives to “defend the rights of women in the West against militant Islam.”
Old 04-23-2010, 08:51 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothin!
Favorite beer: Root

I thought it was just a facebook profile pic thing?

Go Twins!

The great thing about Jesus is that He came for ALL of us... while we were yet sinners. It is through Him that we are saved.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though working for the Lord, and not for men. Colossians 3:23

Where's Perry?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
frequent poster

Studying for exam 97
College: Phoenix On-Line
Favorite beer: TC-17x97

mixed bag for me
Old 04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Cold and lots of it

The shaking of the earth will be offset by apparent loss of gravity for certain parts of male bodies.

Bring it on.

Officially assigned the role of Dictator, 9/30/09. Bow to my whims.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for Nothin!
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
mixed bag for me
hee hee... you said "bag"

Go Twins!

The great thing about Jesus is that He came for ALL of us... while we were yet sinners. It is through Him that we are saved.
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though working for the Lord, and not for men. Colossians 3:23

Where's Perry?
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 AM

College: Service Dog Academy

I really hope there's a megaquake on Monday. What will the demonstrators say then?
The haze will finally burn off for most of you! Stop drinking the fluoride and watching the brain wash box...
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwoc View Post
I really hope there's a megaquake on Monday. What will the demonstrators say then?
Censorship would run wild, no longer will women be allowed to wear scantily clad clothing. We must do everything we can to hide an earthquake if one happens.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Bobby Digital

There are only 7 women here I'd like to see on Monday.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:23 AM

women looking for an excuse to be slutty? daddy like
Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 AM

Weapons of Mass Distraction.