Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

US PROPERTY AND CASUALTY JOBS

Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: The Meddler
Default Putting DVD on ipad

I did a couple of quick searches but some of the results were a bit old and I'm not sure if they're out of date at all.

So I've got some DVD's (some of them newer Disney studio releases, in case that matters re: decryption) that I'd like to be able to put on an ipad for a car trip. I kind of plan on using a windows vista laptop as the staging area and as longer term storage on its larger hard drive.

I'm thinking DVD Shrink or AnyDVD might do the trick to get the DVD onto the laptop in an itunes format (m4a I believe?), and then it should be pretty straightforward to get it from the laptop onto itunes on the ipad from there.

Anyone have any thoughts on the type of software to use (hopefully free), whether or not I need to dig into specific settings to get decent quality audio/video on both the laptop and ipad, or maybe even a step by step method to walk me through this? I swear I tried this once and managed to get the file onto the laptop but then the quality wasn't very good (certainly not even standard DVD good) and that I couldn't even get the chapters to work right... Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you have comments on bluray, those are welcome too. Although my main issue is just with standard DVD's... for now.

To curtail any issues, these are my DVD's and I don't plan on sharing them or selling them, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Official AO Ninja

Studying for my next eye exam
Favorite beer: Guinness - because it's color of ninjas. And delicious.

my advice may be out of date.. I used to rip DVDs for my iPod but haven't done it in a couple years. I used to use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD into a .ISO file, and then used Videora iPod converter to turn it into a file readable by and formatted to my iPod. Add the files to your iTunes library, and Bob's your uncle

Pretty sure there's an old thread or two on exactly how to do the steps. Also, it's all freeware. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Location: Geographically, the Southeast, but virtually, everywhere.
College: UGA

Download VLC and Handbrake (both free). Set Handbrake to the Apple Universal preset. Grab a cup of coffee. When done, drag mp4 files to iTunes. Sync iPad.

Registration is open for our fall 2015 FSA exam online seminars:

ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ILA-LFV-C | ILA-LRM | ERM | CFE FD | G&H Core | G&H Advanced | QFI Core

Check out our Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, and more!

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 11-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Note Contributor
SOA AAA

Studying for a way to escape
College: Illinois College ('87)
Favorite beer: Stag

Handbrake
Old 11-16-2011, 10:19 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
Download VLC and Handbrake (both free). Set Handbrake to the Apple Universal preset. Grab a cup of coffee. When done, drag mp4 files to iTunes. Sync iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGeek View Post
Handbrake
This is what I'm talking about, thanks!

I think Handbrake was the one I used previously, if it's the one that has a pineapple (for some reason) as it's windows icon. I can't imagine I didn't use the default settings, not sure why I would have had chapter issues. I'll give it a shot again. VLC is a media player and decryptor, right? Does that just run in the background or do I have to tell Handbrake to use it somehow? Stupid question: I'm not going to have to use VLC to view these unless I want to right?

This will take a while for good quatlity right, as it will burn at essentially real play time?

Quote:
Quote:
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 AM
CAS

The disney DVD uses a newer type of copy protection. I am not sure if Handbrake can do the job.
I would recommend DVDfab for ripping. it will rip disney dvd for sure. It also can encode the movie to an format that ipad can play. It cost money tho.

Forget to mention that DVDfab also do Blurays....

Last edited by Tommy Vercetti; 11-16-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM

Is there a way to get DVDs ripped so that the DVD menus will work? I have some disks that contain education material where the DVD menu is used to move between sections.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
CAS

DVDfab can backup the menu as well. I think DVD shrink can also backup the menu, and it is free.

Last edited by Tommy Vercetti; 11-16-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 PM
SOA

Does Handbrake not do the menu?

Also, how much $ we talkin for DVDfab?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 PM

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

I got a free DVDfab trial over the weekend and it wouldn't do a Disney DVD from like 7 years ago. Neither would DVD Shrink.