Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet the Employees of DW Simpson
Patty Jacobsen Simpson, Bob Morand, Kristyn Sakelaris, Sean Loboda, KC Cho, Maureen Matous, Ellen Page
Aaron Benton, Becki Tobia, Kimberly Skora, Margit Vogele, Barclay Burns, Jason Blundy, Dan Karrow, Tom Troceen
Valorie Mulder, Marianne Westphal, Carol Lee, Jennifer Retford, Kieran Welsh-Phillips, Lindsey Nelson, Emily Paxton
Angie Wachholz, Derek Mulder, Julie Garwood, Caitlin Cunningham, David Benton, Dave Retford, Sarah Cleveland, Rhonda Glick
Genevieve Shannon, Meghan Bautista, Carol Datu, Barb Rave, Jesus Perez, Dan Kane, Chris Zdenek, Scott Simon, Kriss Wells

Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
I'd put most of that on the technological difference between the two devices. With the e-ink, the display has to be cleared and then reset - granted with each generation that lag time has dropped.
I'm not referring to the e-ink refresh. That happens on both kindles.

Either way, I want the physical buttons to turn the page.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

Got the wife the Touch 3G as an early holiday present.

Heard my mother picked up a Nook (no idea which one).
Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Location: Geographically, the Southeast, but virtually, everywhere.
College: UGA

My full thoughts on the Kindle Touch:

http://www.practicallyefficient.com/.../kindle-touch/

Check out our brand new Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, and more!

Registration is open for our fall 2014 FSA exam online seminars: ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ERM | CFE FD | G&H Core | G&H Advanced

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Yards, Victory, Flying Fish or any other local craft brew will do

It's too bad they don't make a good cover with a light for the Touch. My wife each have one of these for our Kindle Keyboards and it's great for night reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted...3105782&sr=1-4
Old 12-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Studying for the rest of my life

E, are you asking for back-light? That would kinda defeat the purpose. It's a good review though

**** Juan.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfore13 View Post
It's too bad they don't make a good cover with a light for the Touch. My wife each have one of these for our Kindle Keyboards and it's great for night reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Lighted...3105782&sr=1-4
I have the non-lighted version of the case and love it. I don't read much at night (tends to put me to sleep), so I never really needed a light.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:49 PM
CAS

when people say "read at night" do they mean read in a darkened room with a tiny light just for the reading material?

Obama is dumber.

Of all the causes of astronaut insanity, getting a fly caught inside your space helmet is probably in the top three.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:10 PM

They have lighted covers for the new kindles that got decent reviews
Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
My full thoughts on the Kindle Touch:

http://www.practicallyefficient.com/.../kindle-touch/
You might prefer the Kindle Keyboard. I just got one as an early holiday present.

Quote:
Page turns can be jerky. Honestly this isnít a huge deal to me, but for a guy thatís been using iOS almost daily for about two years, itís noticeable. It doesnít bother me at all while reading, but menu navigation can get kinda rocky.
Page turns take a moment for the ink to refresh itself. I don't mind it, although perhaps I would if I were used to something else. But the implementation of "page turning" is great -- the button you press to turn forward a page is exactly where your thumb sits as you hold the book in the natural way, either left or right handed. It becomes natural after just few minutes of use.

Quote:
Light, please. I wish Amazon would figure out some way of adding low-power lighting to the Kindle. Iíd gladly trade some of the Kindle Touchís (purported) two-month battery life for the ability to read at night.
Granted! The lighted leather cover turns the Kindle from a paperback to an elegant hardcover. It's heavier, but still comfortable to hold in one hand. And the cover integrates with the Kindle so the same clasp that holds it in place conducts power to a tiny-but-effective light. It is just perfect for reading in bed without disturbing your partner. It works fine in other dark places, too.

Quote:
I donít need to know page locations. Thereís no option to get rid of the location information at the bottom of the screen. Yeah, this is nitpicking. But one thing I love about the iOS Kindle app is that it only shows text. To me, thereís no utility in knowing my location on every page of an e-reader. If I really need to know, I can just tap once to see it.
The Kindle Keyboard doesn't have page numbers, just a bar that tells you what % of the text you have read. The bar is perfect for magazine articles, but I'd much rather have page numbers in a book. Still, you might like it better.

I'm sort of surprised you prefer nothing at all. That was how WebOS displayed a page of text, and it was one of the most-complained-about features. (and one of the few features I am happy to have lost with my switch to Android.) People often want to know how much more if this there is.

Quote:
Entering text is somewhere between tolerable and frustrating. I like to make notes in books that I read. The Kindleís screen just isnít responsive enough to tap out more than a few letters at a time.
This is why I chose the Keyboard version. My biggest regret with my Android cell phone is that it only has a virtual keyboard, and virtual keyboards suck, imo. (Yes, the iPhone keyboard sucks, imo. I've used it, and I can't stand it.) The mini-keyboard on the Kindle is surprisingly just-fine. I hadn't even considered that the Kindle touch screen is probably a bit laggy, which probably makes the virtual keyboard close to intolerable. So I guess I'm happy with my choice.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Location: Geographically, the Southeast, but virtually, everywhere.
College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleDot View Post
E, are you asking for back-light? That would kinda defeat the purpose. It's a good review though
Not necessarily a back light, but maybe some low power lighting around the frame/bezel. I prefer for the lighting to be integrated into the device so I don't have to keep up with a separate object. I also don't really want to put my Kindle in a case. I like the small, thin form of it.

Check out our brand new Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, and more!

Registration is open for our fall 2014 FSA exam online seminars: ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ERM | CFE FD | G&H Core | G&H Advanced

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn