Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet the Employees of DW Simpson
Patty Jacobsen Simpson, Bob Morand, Kristyn Sakelaris, Sean Loboda, KC Cho, Maureen Matous, Ellen Page
Aaron Benton, Becki Tobia, Kimberly Skora, Margit Vogele, Barclay Burns, Jason Blundy, Dan Karrow, Tom Troceen
Valorie Mulder, Marianne Westphal, Carol Lee, Jennifer Retford, Kieran Welsh-Phillips, Lindsey Nelson, Emily Paxton
Angie Wachholz, Derek Mulder, Julie Garwood, Caitlin Cunningham, David Benton, Dave Retford, Sarah Cleveland, Rhonda Glick
Genevieve Shannon, Meghan Bautista, Carol Datu, Barb Rave, Jesus Perez, Dan Kane, Chris Zdenek, Scott Simon, Kriss Wells

Old 12-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
My full thoughts on the Kindle Touch:

http://www.practicallyefficient.com/.../kindle-touch/

Quote:
But when it comes to reading longer form content (books), the Kindle Touch has made me realize that the absence of features in an e-reader is a feature itself.
Just a comment on this: DUH!

(Since you're an expert...)

We have a regular Kindle and I'm wondering if there is a way to save three different page marks, as we had one book where three of us were reading at different clips. I'd like to name the bookmark, so I don't have to search randomly for the one I want.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 12-05-2011 at 09:03 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Location: Geographically, the Southeast, but virtually, everywhere.
College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
We have a regular Kindle and I'm wondering if there is a way to save three different page marks, as we had one book where three of us were reading at different clips. I'd like to name the bookmark, so I don't have to search randomly for the one I want.
I don't think that's possible, but I've never tried. (It's rare that I find someone interested in the same books I am, much less under the same roof.)

Check out our brand new Technical Skills Course: Excel, VBA, Access, and more!

Registration is open for our spring 2015 FSA exam online seminars: ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ERM | CFE FD | G&H Core | G&H Advanced

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 AM

On one of my kindle offers, I got a $5 off for spending $10

Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
I don't think that's possible, but I've never tried. (It's rare that I find someone interested in the same books I am, much less under the same roof.)
I don't think it's possible, either. But I wonder if you could insert a comment and search for that?

I often share books with family-members, but we usually read in series (one finishing before the other starts) not in parallel, as it would be awkward to fight over the volume when we all have down-time.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I don't think it's possible, either. But I wonder if you could insert a comment and search for that?

I often share books with family-members, but we usually read in series (one finishing before the other starts) not in parallel, as it would be awkward to fight over the volume when we all have down-time.
Yeah, seems like it would be a sync nightmare to have multiple people reading the same book on multiple devices. In fact, I think you'd have to disable sync to have any chance of preserving sanity.

Registration is open for our spring 2015 FSA exam online seminars: ILA-LP | ILA-LFV-U | ERM | CFE FD | G&H Core | G&H Advanced

Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM

Studying for the rest of my life

I know Kindle is different, but the nook app kept asking my wife and I if we wanted to go to the new reading location with a little popup dialog. I couldn't figure out how to disable it, so I read something else till my wife was done with it.

**** Juan.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/06/a...price-rigging/

maybe cheaper e-books are in the horizon...
Old 12-06-2011, 01:07 PM

Studying for the rest of my life

seems to only apply in europe.

**** Juan.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/06/a...price-rigging/

maybe cheaper e-books are in the horizon...
That's a big maybe. And it looks like this is specific to the European market.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 PM

I just got a Kindle Fire and having a hell of a time connecting to the internet. I don't know if it's my router or what, but most of the time it says it's connecte to the wi-fi network it's not connected to the internet. But it sporadically connects, so it can't be that I've got a setting wrong. But I have yet to watch a movie or surf the web on it.