Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet the Employees of DW Simpson
Patty Jacobsen Simpson, Bob Morand, Kristyn Sakelaris, Sean Loboda, KC Cho, Maureen Matous, Ellen Page
Aaron Benton, Becki Tobia, Kimberly Skora, Margit Vogele, Barclay Burns, Jason Blundy, Dan Karrow, Tom Troceen
Valorie Mulder, Marianne Westphal, Carol Lee, Jennifer Retford, Kieran Welsh-Phillips, Lindsey Nelson, Emily Paxton
Angie Wachholz, Derek Mulder, Julie Garwood, Caitlin Cunningham, David Benton, Dave Retford, Sarah Cleveland, Rhonda Glick
Genevieve Shannon, Meghan Bautista, Carol Datu, Barb Rave, Jesus Perez, Dan Kane, Chris Zdenek, Scott Simon, Kriss Wells

Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM

College: WPI alumni
Default First on-site interview (entry level)

I know there is a lot of information here, I already used the search function and read threads. I have some questions regarding my specific situation.

I had a phone interview that wasn't for a specific position, just to keep me on file in case something opened up. I am now being brought in for an on-site interview but I wasn't told anything in regards to the position I am being interviewed for or my agenda for the day. The company's career website shows no openings at the location I am being interviewed. I was only told what time to show up and how long it would last. I was given contact information in case I had questions. Is it appropriate to ask for all the items listed above including information on the position and an agenda for the day?

My other question is how much focus I should put on preparing for the possibility of technical questions. The other threads seemed to agree upon the fact "making sure I am good fit" and avoiding any social awkwardness was way more important since being brought in already proves that they believe I am qualified. However, I am a local and this interview would be expense free for them so I am not sure how much that changes things.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoleslaw View Post
I am now being brought in for an on-site interview but I wasn't told anything in regards to the position I am being interviewed for or my agenda for the day... I was only told what time to show up and how long it would last. I was given contact information in case I had questions.

Is it appropriate to ask for all the items listed above including information on the position and an agenda for the day?
Yes it is appropriate. "Can you tell me a bit about the position and whom I'll be meeting with?"

Quote:
My other question is how much focus I should put on preparing for the possibility of technical questions. The other threads seemed to agree upon the fact "making sure I am good fit" and avoiding any social awkwardness was way more important since being brought in already proves that they believe I am qualified. However, I am a local and this interview would be expense free for them so I am not sure how much that changes things.
If they know your background, your technical knowledge shouldn't be a factor.

Keep your designs sub rosa, because the minute you say, "I'd love to see you at UMass Amherst," she'll set her heart on Sarah Lawrence. That one little sentence can cost you $40,000. -- WSJ on helping junior select an "affordable" college.