Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

D.W. Simpson & Company International Actuary Jobs
  Canada  Asia  Australia  Life  Pension  Casualty
Bermuda, United Kingdom, Europe, Asia, Worldwide

View Poll Results: How many Study Hours?
Less than 150 4 10.00%
150 - 250 15 37.50%
250 - 350 10 25.00%
350 - 450 5 12.50%
450+ 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2010, 04:42 PM

Default If you passed, how many hours did you study?

If you passed, how many hours did you study for this bad mama?

If it took you more than 1 sitting to pass, maybe include 50% of study time from prior sittings?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:04 PM

I can't believe someone can study less than 150 hrs for this exam and still pass. I want that brain.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 PM

It was between 150-170 hours, brings the total number of hours for all of the prelims to just over 500.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 AM
SOA

Studying for whatever I feel like :)
College: Duke
Favorite beer: root beer

I don't like to count hours as it seems artificial to me...3 productive hours is better than 8 hours where 5 of them my brain is fried , but I started studying for C in February for the November sitting while preparing for MFE for the spring sitting. MFE is hard too, but I felt like it was small enough in scope that I could get a jump start on C which helped a lot. Obviously 9 months is a very long time, but it allowed me to have less pressure when I got stuck, and allowed me to wrestle with interesting/challenging topics more. I was worrying about understanding credibility topics in August while it seems like some didn't get to it til mid October.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 AM
CAS

Studying for 3L
College: Yale Alum
Favorite beer: Duvel, Newcastle, Delirium Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendevil View Post
I don't like to count hours as it seems artificial to me...3 productive hours is better than 8 hours where 5 of them my brain is fried , but I started studying for C in February for the November sitting while preparing for MFE for the spring sitting. MFE is hard too, but I felt like it was small enough in scope that I could get a jump start on C which helped a lot. Obviously 9 months is a very long time, but it allowed me to have less pressure when I got stuck, and allowed me to wrestle with interesting/challenging topics more. I was worrying about understanding credibility topics in August while it seems like some didn't get to it til mid October.
That was a very smart way to study. It sounds like the right way to tackle 4/C, since the sheer amount of information is daunting and is more than any other prelim. I needed 2 sittings to pass, because the first sitting I ran out of time (and didn't get to credibility till mid-April for the May sitting). I didn't go over the material chapter by chapter again this sitting - all I did was do the SOA 289 as a refresher, and I went back into my ASM manual to refresh my memory and brush up on topics I had forgotten. I probably spent less than 100 hours this sitting, but that's because I had already invested so much time in the spring to learn the material.

Most of my study hours are not productive either. I find it difficult to gauge # of study hours because of that.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 AM

I don't know exactly how much I studied this sitting, but it was at least 200 hours.