Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet the Employees of DW Simpson
Patty Jacobsen Simpson, Bob Morand, Kristyn Sakelaris, Sean Loboda, KC Cho, Maureen Matous, Ellen Page
Aaron Benton, Becki Tobia, Kimberly Skora, Margit Vogele, Barclay Burns, Jason Blundy, Dan Karrow, Tom Troceen
Valorie Mulder, Marianne Westphal, Carol Lee, Jennifer Retford, Kieran Welsh-Phillips, Lindsey Nelson, Emily Paxton
Angie Wachholz, Derek Mulder, Julie Garwood, Caitlin Cunningham, David Benton, Dave Retford, Sarah Cleveland, Rhonda Glick
Genevieve Shannon, Meghan Bautista, Carol Datu, Barb Rave, Jesus Perez, Dan Kane, Chris Zdenek, Scott Simon, Kriss Wells

Old 04-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Default p&c vs. pension vs. life & health

Suppose the P&C track were selected. Is there any way to switch to finance later on? My questions are the same for the other two categories.

I'm wondering because there's no way to know from the outset whether actuarial science might become monotonous after awhile causing the P&C actuary to wish that he could switch into a finance career later for a change of pace. Well frankly I just don't know what to expect. Why is there a trend for people to enter pension or life & health tracks, according to a DW Simpson recruiter, who informed me that the P&C salaries were higher because most want the opportunity to switch into finance? Are those people under a misguided belief that they could piggyback actuarial science to enter finance or are there other considerations involved such as contingency planning if they grow weary of actuarial science or something?
Old 04-29-2011, 09:54 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
Favorite beer: liquor over beer any day

I work in Valuation (Reserving) in a Finance Department for Life Insurance. Another analyst worked in a location which was an extension of my department. Their office was closed and she was moved in the company from being an actuarial analyst to a financial analyst in a different role / department.

I would feel confident that I could switch to a financial analyst role in a few years after another actuarial finance rotation.

P FM MFE MLC C

VEE:
Applied Stats Corporate Finance Economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFActuary View Post
Also, you know you're over obcessed with Exam MFE when you go out for Chinese food (study break) and when the server tells me my Asian food Options on the menu, I ask if they are arithmetic or geometric options.