Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet the Employees of DW Simpson
Patty Jacobsen Simpson, Bob Morand, Kristyn Sakelaris, Sean Loboda, KC Cho, Maureen Matous, Ellen Page
Aaron Benton, Becki Tobia, Kimberly Skora, Margit Vogele, Barclay Burns, Jason Blundy, Dan Karrow, Tom Troceen
Valorie Mulder, Marianne Westphal, Carol Lee, Jennifer Retford, Kieran Welsh-Phillips, Lindsey Nelson, Emily Paxton
Angie Wachholz, Derek Mulder, Julie Garwood, Caitlin Cunningham, David Benton, Dave Retford, Sarah Cleveland, Rhonda Glick
Genevieve Shannon, Meghan Bautista, Carol Datu, Barb Rave, Jesus Perez, Dan Kane, Chris Zdenek, Scott Simon, Kriss Wells

Old 06-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Default Exam Difficulty

Last edited by tim08; 08-04-2014 at 11:24 AM..
Old 06-18-2011, 09:59 PM
CAS AAA

Some people are saying it was a lot easier than the ASM PEs and the TIAs. Some are saying that it was easier than the ASM PEs but was on par with TIAs. All seem to be saying that the SOA 289 are a total waste of time and are much easier than the actual exam.

Who knows...
Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 8
College: Appalachian State Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkican View Post
Some people are saying it was a lot easier than the ASM PEs and the TIAs. Some are saying that it was easier than the ASM PEs but was on par with TIAs. All seem to be saying that the SOA 289 are a total waste of time and are much easier than the actual exam.

Who knows...
The SOA 289 may be easier than the exam problems, but they are by no means a waste of time. I think everyone should do them to get the basics down. Just make sure you practice some more difficult problems as well. I recommend doing the TIA exams in CBT format the week before the exam. I thought they were very close in difficulty to the real thing.

WF

Oops, I see you don't have TIA. In that case I'd go ASM which tend to be more difficult and somewhat different in style.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ... ummm ... oh yeah!
College: CSULB alumni
Favorite beer: Caffrey's, which can be found in Canada

I'll agree with Wolf's comments on the SOA 289. They are definitely worth doing, even if they are somewhat easier than the actual exam. I didn't do the ASM sample exams or the TIA sample exams, but I found the Mahler exams to be similar in style and difficulty to the actual exam.
Carry on.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 PM
SOA

Studying for eudaimonia

ASM tend to be harder than the real exam, but I think that's a pro, not a con. Ancient Roman soldiers used to train with swords twice as heavy as the ones they'd use in battle; baseball players warm up by swinging bats with weights on the end. You want something harder so that you get used to adversity, and the real thing will seem easy in comparison.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:59 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Temple University

I'd say slightly easier than TIA, more difficult than SOA 289 but not much.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM

I took mine today and maybe it was because I lacked practice, but I found it to be harder than both the Fall 06 and Spring 07 exams, and harder than most of the ASM PEs (1, 5, 6, 7). Probably on par or slightly less hard than PE 2 and 3.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkican View Post
All seem to be saying that the SOA 289 are a total waste of time and are much easier than the actual exam.

Who knows...
Really? I just took FM and those SOA practice questions seemed to be harder than the actual exam. But I guess it could be different for 4/C.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:36 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
Favorite beer: Blue Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochishans View Post
I'd say slightly easier than TIA
Here's hoping...

"Exam C/4 is the catch-all exam containing all mathematical material that doesn't fit easily into one of the other exams." -Abraham Weishaus, ASM manual

P FM MFE MLC C VEE (all 3)
FAP 1-8

The best exam thread ever:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=193252
Old 06-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Hard to say whether it was easier than ASM PEs since their difficulty tends to vary quite a bit between exams. I'd probably say I found it to be somewhere between PE2 and PE4 in terms of difficulty. Definitely tougher than 1 and 7 (the easiest IMO) but easier than 3.