Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Actuarial Jobs
& Annuities,

& Investments
Worldwide

Salary Surveys
Life & Health

Pension
Property & Casualty

DW Simpson & Co.
Actuarial
Recruitment
Worldwide

Casualty Jobs
& Property -- Worldwide
Reinsurance,

Insurance, Bureaus & Consulting

Old 09-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Midnight Reefer

Studying for a little T & A
College: Main Offender U
Favorite beer: Guinness
Default Stupid Travel Complaints

(from The Toronto Star)

A recent survey from Thomas Cook and the Association of British Travel Agents revealed 20 of the most ridiculous complaints by holiday-makers made to their travel agent.

1. “I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts.”

2. “It’s lazy of the local shopkeepers to close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during ‘siesta’ time — this should be banned.”

3. “On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don’t like spicy food at all.”

4. “We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our swimming costumes and towels.”

5. A tourist at a top African Game Lodge overlooking a water hole, who spotted a visibly aroused elephant, complained that the sight of this rampant beast ruined his honeymoon by making him feel “inadequate.”

6. A woman threatened to call police after claiming that she’d been locked in her hotel room by staff. In fact, she had mistaken the “do not disturb” sign on the back of the door as a warning to remain in the room.

7. “The beach was too sandy.”

8. “We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure.Your brochure shows the sand as yellow but it was white.”

9. A guest at a Novotel in Australia complained his soup was too thick and strong. He was inadvertently slurping the gravy at the time.

10. “Topless sunbathing on the beach should be banned. The holiday was ruined as my husband spent all day looking at other women.”

11. “We bought ‘Ray-Ban’ sunglasses for five euros from a street trader, only to find out they were fake.”

12. “No one told us there would be fish in the sea. The children were startled.”

13. “It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England, it only took the Americans three hours to get home.”

14. “I compared the size of our one-bedroom apartment to our friends’ three-bedroom apartment and ours was significantly smaller.”

15. “The brochure stated: ‘No hairdressers at the accommodation.’ We’re trainee hairdressers — will we be OK staying there?”

16. “There are too many Spanish people. The receptionist speaks Spanish. The food is Spanish. Too many foreigners now live abroad.”

17. “We had to queue outside with no air conditioning.”

18. “It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel.”

19. “I was bitten by a mosquito, no-one said they could bite.”

20. “My fiancé and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked.”

21. "I had to set my alarm clock to make the flight!"

the article has a NSFW pic at top

http://www.thestar.com/travel/article/1055019--stupid-travel-complaints

www.facebook.com/AOComics
Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Old 09-20-2011, 01:34 PM

#8 is legit
Old 09-20-2011, 01:44 PM

RN on #21.

I'm sure some of those were intended to be jokes. #5 for example. Probably #1 as well. #6 sounds like a tourism industry myth. It reminds me of the IT help desk question about the broken cup holder.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:45 PM

Studying for FM (2015 sometime)
Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
6. A woman threatened to call police after claiming that she’d been locked in her hotel room by staff. In fact, she had mistaken the “do not disturb” sign on the back of the door as a warning to remain in the room.
Just, wow.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM

Good stuff but I have a hard time believing that they are all legitimate. I'm sure a lot of people make joke comments. I do weep for the people that made real complaints.

Manipulating women...now THAT's hard. Probably because most woman have no clue what they like.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Official AO Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keef View Post
All funny but this one...
Old 09-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Official AO Master Chef

Having traveled quite a bit with fairly seasoned travelers. I have no problems believing this complaints happened.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM

EUUUURAAAGHHH

PEW! PEW!

PEW! PEW!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Studying for nication

FTR I have no problem with setting an alarm for personal travel, it's just business travel that irks me.