Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse New Predictive Modeling Jobs

Old 12-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Default Maker Movement

This weeks Economist has an article on the "maker" movement and seems to think it may have a lot of future potential. They compare it to personal computers in the 70's, suggesting it does with atoms what computers do with bits. Essentaily 3-d printers, cheap circuit boards and everything is open. To me, it sounds like a hobby and something I wouldn't mind investigating. The prices appear to have come down enough to make it possible.

Has anyone here done anything along these lines? If so, what?

http://www.economist.com/node/21540392
Quote:
Venture capitalists are nosing around the field. In recent months Quirky raised $16m, MakerBot raised $10m and Shapeways, a firm that offers a 3D-printing service, received $5m.

The parallel with the hobbyist computer movement of the 1970s is striking. In both cases enthusiastic tinkerers, many on America’s West Coast, began playing with new technologies that had huge potential to disrupt business and society. Back then the machines manipulated bits; now the action is in atoms. This has prompted predictions of a new industrial revolution, in which more manufacturing is done by small firms or even by individuals. “The tools of factory production, from electronics assembly to 3D printing, are now available to individuals, in batches as small as a single unit,” writes Chris Anderson, the editor of Wired magazine.

It is easy to laugh at the idea that hobbyists with 3D printers will change the world. But the original industrial revolution grew out of piecework done at home, and look what became of the clunky computers of the 1970s. The maker movement is worth watching.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Yes. It's just a hobby.

We've been subscribing to Make magazine since it started. And went to the Makers Faire in Queens a couple years ago.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Those 3D printers, btw, are used for more than just hobbies.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:51 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Read awhile ago about a dude that replaced a $200+ part from his car for something like $15. Just glued it back together, took a bunch of pictures, and they printed and shipped him the part. Pretty amazing stuff.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:34 PM

Favorite beer: Molson...today

I saw another model on Kickstartr today. $500 for the kit and seems like the quality will be at or above RepRap and MakerBot.

Printrbot

When all is said and done, a lot more is said than done.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Mary Pat Campbell

Studying for Anglo-Saxon
Favorite beer: Bass Ale

At the Makers Faire in 2010:
http://youtu.be/NyMFc8c94fY

Now offering online seminars, live seminars, and everything else under the sun and over the moon for actuarial exams.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:15 PM

Been subscribing to "Make" for a while, went to the SF Maker Faire this year, saw a demo of the MakerBot there. It's very nifty stuff, for sure. A lot of the attitude around it is anti-change-the-world, pro-change-your-own-world if that makes sense. That is, I have a difficult time seeing the transition from the hackers to the broader world. Being able to print your own plastic gizmo to fix a thing is great, but most people hire someone 'qualified' to fix the thing for them anyway - so maybe the repair guys start carrying the $1000 3-d printers, but not the households (generally).

That said, because I enjoy making and fixing stuff, I could see myself getting a 3-d printer in the not-so-distant future. It will then mostly be underused - like my paper printer.

If you want to investigate further, I recommend http://makezine.com/ - lots to look at there, reasonably well curated.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:50 AM

I am inspired by the Maker movement - some day I'd like to create something useful. I have added the makezine blog to my Google Reader collection.

Even though this does not "change the world", a lot of people who roast their own coffee are hacking their coffee roasters to gain more control.

Now offering online seminars, live seminars, and everything else under the sun for actuarial exams.
EA-2F and EA-2L and EA-1
Old 12-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_G View Post
I am inspired by the Maker movement - some day I'd like to create something useful.
Me too, ...I just can't think of anything particularly useful to make. Seems like it would be fun to do a few projects though. I'll need to look into some of these links more.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_G View Post
Even though this does not "change the world", a lot of people who roast their own coffee are hacking their coffee roasters to gain more control.
There is a short article about the Maker movement in the current issue of The Economist. They mention the Arduino boards (and open source software) as a key part, in addition to the 3D printers. Arduino is what some coffee geeks are using to interface with their coffee roasters.

Now offering online seminars, live seminars, and everything else under the sun for actuarial exams.
EA-2F and EA-2L and EA-1

Last edited by Rick_G; 12-07-2011 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Added links for Arduino