Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when our jobs meet your criteria.

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:08 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Bitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Evans View Post
The list is interesting but of very limited value. As I understand it this list only ranks actuarial consulting firms by the % of the premium in the insurance market that is written by insurance companies whose annual statutory statement of opinion on reserve adequacy is signed by an actuary at that firm. It is not even necessarily the ranking by fees generated by signing insurer reserve opinions let alone the vast majority of consulting fees coming from other types of work. I believe it even excludes self insured reserve opinions. A few of the firms listed are really small but have a few big reserve opinion clients. At least one firm in the top 20 I recognize as a one man (basically a retired executive) operation. There are other good sized firms that do not sign reserve opinions that do not make the list.
I agree it is a poor measure. PwC signs the State Farm opinions so it is not surprising they are number one under this ranking system. Little of revenue for the larger consulting firms is generated from opinions as it has become a nickel and dime business.