Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > Foundations of CFE Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Foundations of CFE Exam Old Financial Economic Theory Forum

Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Default PAK online seminar

Would anyone recommend using this?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Chess Tactics
College: Kentucky
Favorite beer: Prefer Scotch

I wouldn't, although I didn't use it. I do recommend going to the live seminar.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 AM
SOA AAA

I would as live ones never work for me.

P
FM MLC MFE C VEE FA APC || FSA Modules AFE CFE DMAC
Old 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM
SOA

I did PAK Live for AFE and PAK Online for FETE (because I was getting married the weekend between the two FETE Live offerings)

Pros of Live:
-Eddy is available for 1v1 conversation during breaks and can offer more in-depth illustrations of concepts for anyone who has questions
-Time is built in for working past exam questions (time is provided during the online seminar videos but it is easy to just skip and not force yourself to work through the problems)
-All material is ready for presentation by necessity (A few online videos were not posted until 1-2 weeks prior to the exam)
-Eddy offers a lot of helpful hints and breakdowns regarding % composition of past exams, topics to watch out for and to prioritize / topics than can be omitted in a time crunch
-Eddy has the ability to respond immediately to feedback, e.g. create a spreadsheet illustrating Actuarial Present Value to send out later that day

Pros of Online:
-Ability to proceed at your own pace / watch lessons again
-Step by step solutions and complex topics can be covered more thoroughly as there is no 5-day time constraint
-Even less important topics are covered
-Relevant spreadsheets and notes in .PDF form are neatly organized
-Can prioritize topics to review in a crunch
-Slightly less expensive

For both Exams I used PAK Seminar / Exam Aid / Test Aid / Memo Aid, made extra flash cards from Seminar material not covered in Memo Aid, and really didn't touch the source material other than if I was really confused on a concept. Passed AFE (8) and FETE (7) on first attempt each. Basically PAK rules.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 AM

College: Georgetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALargeTN View Post
I did PAK Live for AFE and PAK Online for FETE (because I was getting married the weekend between the two FETE Live offerings)

Pros of Live:
-Eddy is available for 1v1 conversation during breaks and can offer more in-depth illustrations of concepts for anyone who has questions
-Time is built in for working past exam questions (time is provided during the online seminar videos but it is easy to just skip and not force yourself to work through the problems)
-All material is ready for presentation by necessity (A few online videos were not posted until 1-2 weeks prior to the exam)
-Eddy offers a lot of helpful hints and breakdowns regarding % composition of past exams, topics to watch out for and to prioritize / topics than can be omitted in a time crunch
-Eddy has the ability to respond immediately to feedback, e.g. create a spreadsheet illustrating Actuarial Present Value to send out later that day

Pros of Online:
-Ability to proceed at your own pace / watch lessons again
-Step by step solutions and complex topics can be covered more thoroughly as there is no 5-day time constraint
-Even less important topics are covered
-Relevant spreadsheets and notes in .PDF form are neatly organized
-Can prioritize topics to review in a crunch
-Slightly less expensive

For both Exams I used PAK Seminar / Exam Aid / Test Aid / Memo Aid, made extra flash cards from Seminar material not covered in Memo Aid, and really didn't touch the source material other than if I was really confused on a concept. Passed AFE (8) and FETE (7) on first attempt each. Basically PAK rules.
I used the PAK Online Seminar and it was very great. He explained some complex topics in details (e.g. reinsurance, volatility skew, AAV). He also talked about how to approach the exam questions and how to answer them correctly. Definitely recommend it!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Is PAK having a life seminar? I thought it was scheduled for the week of March 19th, but now I can't find it.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Eddy Chan, FSA, CERA, MAAA
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Saki

I had canceled this one. Sorry for the late notice.

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Spring 2018

ERM: Manual (Sample) / Online Seminar (Sample) (Offer all 6 extensions)
SDM: Manual (Sample) / Online Seminar (Sample)
CFE: Manual (Sample) / Online Seminar (Sample)
Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 PM
SOA

After logging into this website almost every day over the past two months, I just noticed that I had PM's from people dating back to when I posted my earlier message here. Most were asking about tips I used to pass FETE, or how to use PAK's Online Seminar in conjunction with the other materials. This is the response that I sent out to anyone who asked; I hope others might find it helpful especially since it details how you, too, can pass FETE on a short study schedule.

--

I am not sure how many "tips" I picked up, but I will outline for you how I studied and hope it's not too late to help out.

The first thing I did was order every PAK product- Study Guide, Memorization Aid, Exam Aid, Test Aid, Online Seminar.

My studying steps were as follows:

1. READ through Study Guide as quickly as possible. I didn't worry too much about taking notes or memorizing, just made sure I hit a very high-level overview of all topics so I know what can be tested at a very basic level. This took about a month

2. COPY, by hand, Flash Cards from PAK Memorization Aid - it helps me to write every flash card down, so at least you have to pay attention to every concept once and you get practice writing it once. I did not worry about memorizing any concepts at this point. This took about 1-2 weeks

3. WATCH PAK Online seminar, following along with the Memorization Aid available. TAKE NOTES on any topics, concepts, formulas, or lists, that are covered in the seminar but are not already on a flash card. This took about 1 week

4. MAKE flash cards for every topic that you took notes on in step 3. Now you have flash cards for every concept that is present in the Memorization Aid and Online Seminar. This was done at the same time as step 3, so it took 0 additional time

5. MEMORIZE flash cards. I'm sorry to say, but the big secret to passing these exams for me on the first try is pretty brutal: I simply memorized 500+ flash cards on the material. In order to make this step easier, I would do the following:

-Try to memorize at least 20 new cards per day

-I put any FORMULAS in a separate pile that I memorized separately at the end, just to keep my mind in the same mode

-Any LISTS, like Miller-Modigliani principles etc, I also put in a separate pile and did not touch until I was done with the others

-I would typically make a first run through the new cards I wanted to memorize, putting any that I got correct in that day's "Know Pile." Then I would go through the ones I got wrong again, and put any new ones in the "Know Pile." From then on, any new cards that I memorized I would shuffle into the "Know Pile," to train myself to recall specific information while it was mixed up with other stuff I had previously learned. At the end of the day, I would put that day's "Know Pile" away, and always remember to start with that pile the next day to keep it fresh in my mind. Any cards that I still knew, then went into the "Master Know Pile."

-NO MATTER WHAT, I would always make a run through every card I had in the "Master Know Pile" at the end of the day. Toward the end it would take literally 3 hours to just look at the cards and recite the answers

-If you cannot correctly identify the answer while doing the "Master Know Pile" run, TAKE IT OUT because you do not know it well enough for it to serve you on the exam. This pile becomes a "Do Not Know" that you can spend extra time re-learning. The key here is to go over the flash cards so many times you know what the answer is without even thinking.

6. The last week before the exam, I did all EXAM AID problems, and the past 2 FETE released exams

7. Definitely participate in PAK TEST AID, because his feedback is great.

(6+7 all while continuing to go through all "Master Know Pile" flash cards each day)

8. The 2-3 days before the exam is where I would identify areas that I was weak in (Reinsurance, other calculations) and FOCUS on a detailed reading of the Study Guide + source material (for those topics) if necessary.

9. I cannot emphasize enough, the #1 thing that helped me pass was MEMORIZING flash cards for all concepts present in Memorization Aid + Seminar.

I hope that helps, again I apologize for the short notice but it still can be done even if you haven't started memorizing. My actual schedule for this exam was:

September 24- got married
October 2- returned from honeymoon, was not even through step 2 above
November 3 - took and passed FETE with a 7

I don't say this to brag or to show how smart my strategy was, but rather to illustrate that it can be done on a short schedule if you make good use of the materials that Eddy put together.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Also, this is the strategy that worked for me; I in no way guarantee a Pass from following it, and definitely understand that one person's studying style may be vastly different than the next. Basically, if you are good at memorizing, have not made a lot of progress studying, and are wondering how you can even have a chance to pass at this point - you are more likely to be a student that this post can help.

Last edited by ALargeTN; 03-16-2012 at 06:43 PM..
Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Eddy Chan, FSA, CERA, MAAA
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Saki

Yes, I agree with ALargeTN. Also to add more information, I suggest paying special attention to the last-month study. I emphasize(d) a lot before that the last-month preparation is the game-changing time for one to pass this exam. The key is to be persistent (study, practice, and so on).

As always, please feel free to send me an email if you have any questions about this exam (e.g. how to "remember" more materials, how to utilize your time, how to score high, etc).

For those who use my manual, you know where to find me. =)

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Spring 2018

ERM: Manual (Sample) / Online Seminar (Sample) (Offer all 6 extensions)
SDM: Manual (Sample) / Online Seminar (Sample)
CFE: Manual (Sample) / Online Seminar (Sample)