Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 3/MLC - Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

United Kingdom
Actuarial Jobs

General Insurance, Life & Other Areas

Canada
Actuarial Jobs

Casualty, Life,
Pension,
Health &
Investment

Entry Level
Actuarial Jobs

All Disciplines
Health, Life, Pension, Casualty, Investment

D.W. Simpson
& Company

Actuarial
Recruiters

Worldwide
www.dwsimpson.com

Old 07-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Default TIA

I used TIA for this sitting alone and did not pass (keep in mind I'm a big proponent of TIA as I've used them exclusively for all my exams). I've seen at least a few who only used ASM alone and passed though. I'm curious - is there anyone out there who passed MLC this spring sitting using TIA exclusively?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:00 AM
SOA

I haven't used TIA before. I ended up passing MLC this sitting by using Actex. I do not like ASM despite what everyone says on here (I don't think it's as easy to understand and get through as Actex) and even further dislike Abe's original screw-you-we-had-everything-in-there attitude after hearing everyone's response to this sitting. However, after hearing James' (from TIA) sympathetic response and agreement to all of us and sincere apology and commitment to changing the lessons, I am now going to do TIA for my next exam: MFE. I've just started with the first lesson this week and so far really like it. I'm definitely not a "typical actuary" though either and think I have a different learning style than most, but I love being verbally taught it and explained things to rather than reading it all on my own in a book.

So.....for whatever that's worth.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:14 AM

I used TIA for MFE and while the instructor is excellent at teaching the concepts I believe I would have had zero chance of passing the exam using solely TIA. I added adapt to supplement TIA and I can't stress enough how much it helped fill in the gaps. I've used TIA for all exams I've taken so far and am using it for MLC. James is an excellent instructor and Dave the P and C instructor is just as good if not better. P and FM had tons of practice problems as does MLC but MFE was lacking in that area. I plan on adding on a 60 adapt day subscription to MLC as I did with MFE.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:41 AM

I used TIA and ASM for this sitting and passed. I think TIA is great for explaining all the topics and ASM is great for doing sample questions. What I did is listen TIA lecture and then do end of the problem exercises from ASM. I also think that TIA sample exams are really good. I feel that ASM sample tests are a little bit too hard which sometimes is not very useful. I think if TIA had more sample questions it'd be the only source I would need.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 AM

I think for me learning the topics really well would be a huge bonus. I have access to Actex in the library, I forgot about that. @Actuarygirl, so you found the Actex really good on explaining concepts? I may go with Actex and use the old ASM problems as a supplement (since I already have the old manual).
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 PM

wdgolden - I agree with you on MFE not having enough sample problems - but even still I was able to pass that exam on the first try with just TIA only. I'll most likely stick to TIA solely - it's worked so far. This was more out of curiosity to see if it helped prepare people to pass this past sitting.