Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Fellowship Modules > Decision Making and Communications
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson & Co
Worldwide Actuarial

Recruitment

Entry Level Jobs
Casualty, Health,

Life, Pension,
Investment --
Insurance / Consulting

Asian Jobs
Hong Kong, China, India, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Singapore,

Malaysia, and more

Registration Form
Be Notified of

New Actuarial Jobs

Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM
SOA AAA

College: University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Alumni
Default Sample Project Ideas

Does anyone know if you can use the sample project ideas in the DMAC assignment if you don't have any real life projects?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 PM

The instructions are pretty explicit that it needs to be a real project. You *might* be able to use a project that you weren't directly involved in (eg, a project that your supervisor was involved in). But I'm not sure about that...
Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM
SOA

Studying for NOTHING!
Favorite beer: Does Redbull count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Key View Post
The instructions are pretty explicit that it needs to be a real project. You *might* be able to use a project that you weren't directly involved in (eg, a project that your supervisor was involved in). But I'm not sure about that...
Listen, let's get real for a minute:

1. Most of us have been working <5 years. Our company doesn't really trust us to make major decisions. So, use something that your company did and schedule a quick meeting with a couple of the people involved and ask them a few questions about the process that your company used. Don't tell them about the DMAC process, just see what they have to say. If you actually were in the process, good for you. Chances are you're upper management at your company, and lord knows I'm not going to wait until I'm upper management to finish my FSA requirements!!!

2. Take those thoughts and merge/enhance them with the DMAC process as necessary. So, you get a creative hybrid process that shows the grader:
1) You're not a mindless drone who copied the modules verbatim
2) You actually put forth some effort into your project by trying to learn how the DMAC process is applied in the real world. My guess is that many companies have a much poorer process than the DMAC presents.

At the end of the day, it's better to email the SOA with questions when in doubt, but sometimes a little common sense can solve these problems...

Last edited by Bballry1234; 01-25-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for ... ummm ... oh yeah!
College: CSULB alumni
Favorite beer: Caffrey's, which can be found in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballry1234 View Post
Listen, let's get real for a minute:

1. Most of us have been working <5 years. Our company doesn't really trust us to make major decisions. So, use something that your company did and schedule a quick meeting with a couple of the people involved and ask them a few questions about the process that your company used. Don't tell them about the DMAC process, just see what they have to say. If you actually were in the process, good for you. Chances are you're upper management at your company, and lord knows I'm not going to wait until I'm upper management to finish my FSA requirements!!!

2. Take those thoughts and merge/enhance them with the DMAC process as necessary. So, you get a creative hybrid process that shows the grader:
1) You're not a mindless drone who copied the modules verbatim
2) You actually put forth some effort into your project by trying to learn how the DMAC process is applied in the real world. My guess is that many companies have a much poorer process than the DMAC presents.

At the end of the day, it's better to email the SOA with questions when in doubt, but sometimes a little common sense can solve these problems...

Especially 2.2) above - that seems like the key. You don't have to be involved in the project you write about, but you have to have the background in the project to write about all of the details. One of my coworkers did a project like this and passed, but he spent more team researching the project itself to have the background than he did writing the actual DMAC report.

Side note: one of the purposes of the education redesign was to reduce travel time to the FSA, and while that goal has in general been accomplished, it has the side effect of making candidates completing their DMAC projects less likely to have been involved in something of suitable scope at any large employer. Go run on sentences!
Carry on.