Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

US PROPERTY AND CASUALTY JOBS

Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 PM
SOA

Key to pass this exam:
1) Go through the ASM lessons to learn the concepts.
2) Spend the last month (or last 2 months) on ADAPT to practice.

If you do this the right way, you will see "Congratulations!" by the end of your exam!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 PM
SOA

I'm studying for MFE in November. I'm in ASM CH4 now. Binomial tree problems are so tedious.

What works for me is to mark questions as "got right first time" and "did not get right the first time, or took a long time to figure out." after reading and doing every problem in the chapters, re-do all of the second kind. repeat if possible. then do practice exams in the last few weeks.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:18 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for C/4
College: UConn

I'll be taking the P exam on the 29th this month, and I'm hoping to pass (obviously), I'm currently at a level 7.3 on adapt so I feel pretty confident. I also passed FM during the April sitting.

My question is, would it be possible to start studying for MFE starting on August 1st and realistically be prepared to pass the actual exam by the November sitting? (I'd have approximately 3.5 months)

I currently have an ASM manual for MFE, the derivatives markets third edition textbook, and I would plan on using Adapt as well.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerballa9 View Post
I'll be taking the P exam on the 29th this month, and I'm hoping to pass (obviously), I'm currently at a level 7.3 on adapt so I feel pretty confident. I also passed FM during the April sitting.

My question is, would it be possible to start studying for MFE starting on August 1st and realistically be prepared to pass the actual exam by the November sitting? (I'd have approximately 3.5 months)

I currently have an ASM manual for MFE, the derivatives markets third edition textbook, and I would plan on using Adapt as well.

Yes. I just passed MFE, 1 month to get through material, 1 month to do ASM Exam 1-4, and 1 week ADAPT. Two months in total.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC C

Quote:

3.5 months are more than enough to over-prepare yourself. I stated my study in June and began my ADAPT on June 28th. I passed the exam without any problem! I have no background in actuarial science, nor in mathematics, nor in economics and finance. So I am pretty sure and confident that you will pass it with 3.5 months to prepare for it!
-----------------------------------------------------
Life is not a race, but a journey to be chosen and savored each step of the way
Old 07-19-2013, 06:38 AM
CAS SOA

Will also be joining for the November sitting. I will just use ASM. I used this for FM and MLC and prepared me well both times (used ACTEX for P). Hopefully success continues with MFE.

Will start studying beginning of August as well. Took two months to study for MLC but that was just a nightmare as was overloading credits as well. This time will do 3.5 months but not stress myself through the whole time . Good luck everyone!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:18 AM
SOA

Studying for GH Core
College: Harvard (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMathGirl View Post
Will also be joining for the November sitting. I will just use ASM. I used this for FM and MLC and prepared me well both times (used ACTEX for P). Hopefully success continues with MFE.

Will start studying beginning of August as well. Took two months to study for MLC but that was just a nightmare as was overloading credits as well. This time will do 3.5 months but not stress myself through the whole time . Good luck everyone!
Me too, I am using ASM alone for MFE. I used it for MLC and C and did well on those, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I've been making myself study an hour every night for the past week or so, so I am already about 2/3 done with Lesson 1, lol. GLA!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 AM
SOA

Quote:

I had no coursework for it and I started studying MFE on May 10th and passed it on July 1st easily. I studied every day though and for many hours.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam C
College: Towson University Alumni

Quote:

It absolutely depends on your individual situation. For instance, I work full time and allow myself 2 hours/night to study during the week, and 5-6 hours per day on the weekends. Any more than this and I might go crazy.

However, when I was on breaks from school (before I started working), I could study for hours and hours each day.

If your situation is the former, it 3 months will probably not be enough time. (It took me almost that long to get through the ASM manual, which included doing the practice problems on the 1st run-through of the material, before moving on to the next chapter.)

If your situation is the latter, then it might be possible. You're just going to have to work your a** off.

P - FM - MFE - C June '14 - MLC
Old 07-19-2013, 11:28 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for C/4
College: UConn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpolek1 View Post
It absolutely depends on your individual situation. For instance, I work full time and allow myself 2 hours/night to study during the week, and 5-6 hours per day on the weekends. Any more than this and I might go crazy.

However, when I was on breaks from school (before I started working), I could study for hours and hours each day.

If your situation is the former, it 3 months will probably not be enough time. (It took me almost that long to get through the ASM manual, which included doing the practice problems on the 1st run-through of the material, before moving on to the next chapter.)

If your situation is the latter, then it might be possible. You're just going to have to work your a** off.
Well I have the rest of August off for summer break which I will put in around 3 to 4 hours a day, then I got back to school for my junior year in college starting September. I have a 5 course work load, however one of those five courses will be a class that will help me prepare for MFD, and three of the others will be VERY easy As which will require little work, while one will be somewhat tough, but definitely doable.

So If I consistently give about 20 hours a week for 3.5 months, would that be sufficient? I'd like to be able to get through the entire ASM manual in about 2 months, and have 1.5 months just for Adapt.

Last edited by Parkerballa9; 07-19-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Tags
mfe, november 2013