Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS - Now With Regional Data

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:23 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Founder's All Day IPA & New Holland's Dragon's Milk
Default RIP: Chris DesRochers

Outstanding actuary. Great guy. Very generous with his knowledge.

http://www.carmonfuneralhome.com/obi...von-CT/1271688
Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA

RIP
Old 09-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

RIP.

As GB noted, he was very generous with his knowledge.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 PM

I worked on several exam committees with Chris, and my employer consulted with him occasionally. He was always kind and generous when I dealt with him. And he knew taxes like nobody else.

Truly sorry to see him go.

RIP, Chris.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:52 PM

RIP, Chris.

64 is kind of young.

Never met him.

Last edited by Moderator1; 09-20-2013 at 05:00 PM..
Old 10-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

http://www.soa.org/About/Membership/...esrochers.aspx

Quote:
About the SOA
2013 Deceased Member — Christian J. DesRochers

In Memory of Christian (Chris) J. DesRochers

Christian (Chris) J. DesRochers, FSA, MAAA, passed away on September 17, 2013 after a short illness. He was 64.

Born January 6, 1949, DesRochers lived his entire life in Connecticut and was a graduate of Torrington High School and the University of Connecticut.

After spending the early years of his career at The Hartford Insurance Company, DesRochers became an actuarial consultant specializing in the life insurance industry. In 1993, he served as the founder and managing Partner of Avon Consulting Group LLP, a firm that developed into a nationally recognized tax actuarial practice. After selling the firm in 2001, DesRochers continued an outstanding career as a consulting actuary, most recently with Ernst & Young LLP in Hartford, Connecticut.

DesRochers was a devoted and active member of the Society of Actuaries. He served on the SOA Board and was key in developing the 2008 SOA Strategic Plan. He chaired the Product Development, Smaller Life Insurance Company and Taxation Sections and served in the capacity of moderator, speaker, panelist and panel facilitator at various SOA meetings including several Annual Meetings, Valuation Actuary Symposiums, ReFocus Meetings and Life & Annuity Symposiums. He participated in a number of committees and task forces—Examinations Committee, Issues Advisory Council, Strategic Planning Steering Committee, Knowledge Management Strategic Action Team and the James C. Hickman Scholar Awards Committee—serving as chair, vice chair and member. In addition, DesRochers was the editor of TAXING TIMES, the newsletter of the Taxation Section, and a premier publication that was cited by the Internal Revenue Service.

He was extremely well-respected within the actuarial community and will be remembered by many as the actuarial authority of IRC Section 7702 for his outstanding work in this area. A leading expert in the taxation of life insurance companies and their products, he frequently presented at industry events and authored numerous articles for trade publications. Most notably, DesRochers is known for his significant contributions in the area of taxation of life insurance products; in fact, he wrote the subject’s authoritative textbook, Life Insurance and Modified Endowment under Internal Revenue Code Section 7702 and 7702A.

DesRochers loved two things, his family and his work. He was an avid reader, history buff and baseball fan. He loved to travel with his wife, help and support his children, and spend time in Florida with his grandchildren. He will be remembered as a teacher, mentor and friend to many.

“I will forever be thankful for the opportunity Chris presented me when I became the first employee of Avon Consulting Group back in February of 1994,” said Brian King, FSA, MAAA. “He was a teacher, a mentor, a father figure and a friend. I will miss him dearly, as will all of the members of the Taxation Section and the Society of Actuaries.”

“Chris became a mentor, providing a lot of guidance to me at times in my career,” said Kara Clark, FSA, MAAA. “His love for his work, the actuarial profession, the Society of Actuaries and his family was completely transparent to those who worked with him. It was a privilege to have had that opportunity, and I am sincerely grateful for it.”

“I had the privilege of working with Chris on the SOA Taxation Section Council,” said Kory Olsen, FSA, CERA, MAAA. “He was a great sounding board for ideas, offered sound advice and always had a good story. His positive demeanor and lighthearted attitude made him a quick friend and easy to talk with. He will be missed.”

DesRochers is survived by his wife of 42 years Carolyn; his children, son Phil and wife Noreen with their children Kylie and Ryan; son Michael; daughter Jennifer and husband David; and son Christopher; siblings Ernest, James, William, Patricia and Elizabeth; brother-in-law Michael, sisters-in-law Suzanne and Kathie and mother-in-law Concetta, as well as many other family member and friends.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that memorial donations be sent to the Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation for Autism, P.O. Box 767, Framingham, Massachusetts 01701. The organization is dedicated to increasing the awareness of autism and the unique challenges of families who are faced with it every day.

To send the family notes of condolence and sign the online guestbook, please visit http://www.carmonfuneralhome.com/obituary.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Hires Root

I was privileged to meet and learn from Chris. He'll be missed by many.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Echo others' sentiments. Took a course he taught for the exams a long time ago. Very knowledgeable and approachable and just a nice guy.