Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Political Issues
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial Recruitment

Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: lol beer ... ketel1 please....k thks

Obama will call them and retroactively get them covered since they were in the womb

Spoiler:
Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Year long open enrollment would do that.
Making insurance have to be retroactive to the date of the application would help too.

I could easily see the govt doing either or both of those things at some point in the not so far off future.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:56 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by win diesel View Post
Obama will call them and retroactively get them covered since they were in the womb
Future Imaginary Obama sounds like a really *******.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Year long open enrollment would do that.
So would bears with machine guns at every underwriter's desk. What is your point?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Oswald View Post
So would bears with machine guns at every underwriter's desk. What is your point?
I think most underwriter's are out of a job.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:10 PM

I explained all of what I know about ACA (not a ton, but lots more than the general population) to my brother the other night. His response was, "Sounds like a good time to be a doctor" and "this sounds like health insurance reform".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
what's a JAS
Old 10-02-2013, 02:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5383 View Post
.............I haven't factored into account the scary things that Adolf Obama is GOING to do.
This is why you think so many Gov't plans are good options. Social Security, Hell it's only 1% of income and only affects the wealthy, sounds like a good plan. I bet it will never even be more than a blip.

Income taxes ... Hmmmm sounds kind of scary but I guess they have to fund things somehow and it's only on the people making the most. We'll hardly ever even notice it

If you can't see why people are scared of Gov't taking over the healthcare system you are being intentionally dense.

** I personally believe that Healthcare and Banking should be non-profit and run by the Gov't somehow. I certainly do NOT trust our Gov't to run either. **

succeed without lots of work
fail in spite of hard work

(paraphased from Sheba)
Old 10-02-2013, 02:26 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara Oswald View Post
Quite simple:

It's an easy thing to implement in law, and it sounds perfectly reasonable. Why shouldn't people be able to enroll in insurance whenever they want?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5383 View Post
That might be the dumbest article I've ever read in my life. I wouldn't swear to it, but so far nothing else is coming to mind.

So if more Democrats run unopposed than Republicans, they get more votes and that somehow equals a mandate??? If the Republicans in the heavily Democratic district don't bother to vote because the Democrat always wins with 80% of the vote... they're giving the Democrats a mandate???

At least now I know what you mean by "House popular votes", so you did in fact answer my question. It's just that this measurement is one of the dumbest most meaningless statistics I've ever heard... even dumber than paying attention to the popular vote in a presidential election. (Not much dumber, to be sure, but dumber.) It's like we're pretending that the knowledge that their vote means nothing doesn't influence voter behavior.

Quote:
Second question
I'm only looking at spending increases. From the final year of the Bush presidency to the last rolling 12 months under Obama, spending has increased by 2.1% per year.

Compare this to the same time period of, say, the Reagan administration, which had 8.0% per year.

http://www.fms.treas.gov/mts/mts.xls

Please, check my math.
I understand your math, but once again, you're looking at the wrong thing. Bush already ran up the spending to absurdly high levels and then Obama just kept increasing it further. The higher the deficit is when you take office, the more critical it is that you don't increase it. The higher your base is, the lower a percent increase you're going to have for the same dollar increase. Also, Obama was transitioning from a wartime to a [sort of] peacetime economy. How did non-military government spending change under Obama?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Quite simple:

It's an easy thing to implement in law, and it sounds perfectly reasonable. Why shouldn't people be able to enroll in insurance whenever they want?
Easy? In a House that voted to repeal Obamacare 41 times? They are going to add more provisions that the R's won't like? M'Kay