Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Political Issues
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Meet Rhonda Glick, DW Simpson Director of Client Development

Old 10-29-2013, 04:47 PM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent View Post
I'd say that the minimum wage in the US impacts so few workers, and the elasticities are so low, that it's impossible to get good empirical data. Any actual impact of minimum wage changes is drowned out by the normal background noise in economic statistics.

That said, if the author wants to go down that road, I think his "conclusion" should have included one more number. It should read

" I estimate that
the pending 14% increase in New Jersey’s minimum wage will increase unemployment
among workers without a high school education (by approximately two percentage
points), increase unemployment among workers without high school diplomas in
general (by approximately one percentage point), and have no effect on unemployment
among college-educated workers."

(The increase was from $7.25 to $8.25)
There are a lot of caveats, many of which was mentioned in my economics thread. There are a lot of hidden costs and the true impact is spread over a period of time. The costs are real, however.

The second problem is that minimum wage increase is always part of a larger political agenda. So you have to consider the entire agenda as a whole. This is tougher than it sounds because much of the agenda is hidden and is only revealed incrementally, over an extended period of time.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyAndHow View Post
What is the correct minimum wage. There must be an optimal amount. Is it $8.25/hour? Why? Maybe $11.17? How does a government decide? Show your work.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyleche View Post
I hope that you have a lot of popcorn. jas66Kent doesn't have the best track record of actually answering questions.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 4
Favorite beer: None

what about increasing minimum wage by the amount that families get in aid (about $3/hr) and just getting rid of the transfer payments?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:56 PM
SOA

I think an hourly rate that corresponds to 25% of the national median household income is a politically feasible metric.

So, a rough calculation would lead to something like:

$52,000*25%/2000 hours = $6.50/hour

When the minimum wage is ~10% below this metric it would be raised 10% so that it is at that 25% level again.

I'm trying to come up with a solution that's politically possible, guys.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 PM
SOA AAA

Pros should not need a minimum wage. They make enough money.

Cons should not be paid at all. After all, they are criminals.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyAndHow View Post
What is the correct minimum wage. There must be an optimal amount. Is it $8.25/hour? Why? Maybe $11.17? How does a government decide? Show your work.
That will vary by state due to COL. The federal minimum wage acts as a minimum MW, and each state can then set it's own MW above the federal MW due to COL considerations.

The federal MW should then be indexed to inflation, and be adjusted every year. The state MW's would move concurrently with these federal yearly increases.

“Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing at all."
Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
SOA

As for welfare, it would be scaled so that total aid cannot exceed ~50% of wages that can be earned by working minimum wage for 2000 hours. That would put a cap of ~$6500 per year or so per household. This should create plenty of incentive to work.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
There are a lot of caveats, many of which was mentioned in my economics thread. There are a lot of hidden costs and the true impact is spread over a period of time. The costs are real, however.

The second problem is that minimum wage increase is always part of a larger political agenda. So you have to consider the entire agenda as a whole. This is tougher than it sounds because much of the agenda is hidden and is only revealed incrementally, over an extended period of time.
I'm not sure how that is connected to my post.

I said that if the author is going to claim that a particular mw increase is going to raise unemployment by 1% or 2%, he should specify that the particular mw increase he's talking about is 14%.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:05 PM
SOA

I was addressing your first point, and not your comments on the author's claim.