Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Political Issues
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Pension
Property & Casualty
Life & Health

Health
Actuary Jobs

Insurance &
Consulting --
Students,
Associates &

Fellows

D.W. Simpson
& Company

International
Actuarial
Recruiters

www.dwsimpson.com

Casualty Jobs
& Property --
Students
Associates &

Fellows


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-14-2013, 11:50 AM
ActuaryGuy23 ActuaryGuy23 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
Key word allow. He knows it's too late for insurers to turn back before 1/1/2014. So now it will be the insurers fault if they continue with cancellations.
Yup. That mild wedgie you are feeling right now? It's Obama picking you up by your belt loops just before he heaves you in front of the oncoming bus.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Pujols4Prez's Avatar
Pujols4Prez Pujols4Prez is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
There is an episode of "The Office" (American) where Michael gets invited to a shareholder meeting when the company is performing poorly. Though he wasn't supposed to speak, he announces that there is a bold plan to save the company (which there isn't) to raucous applause.

I expect it will go something like that.
I am picturing Obama getting to the hospitality room after the announcement saying "Let's do this. Day 50 health care fixed. Day 49 any ideas?"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM
sweetiepie sweetiepie is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 666 desdemona
Favorite beer: porters
Posts: 5,994
Blog Entries: 81
Default

It's pretty funny if you ask me. Insurers had a good time saying their HANDS WERE TIED, when they chose to alter plans in such a way to make them ungrandfatherable. Now they have to be somewhat honest about the economics involved.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Dismal Science Dismal Science is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiepie View Post
Meh. It's pretty funny if you ask me. Insurers had a good time saying their HANDS WERE TIED, when they chose to alter plans in such a way to make them ungrandfatherable. Now they have to be at least vaguely straight about the economics involved.
This post is stupid.

Their hands WERE tied. The fact that they are now untied and that it is now too late to do anything doesn't change whose fault it is.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM
sneakerx's Avatar
sneakerx sneakerx is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Studying for realz
Favorite beer: Beer
Posts: 1,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiepie View Post
Meh. It's pretty funny if you ask me. Insurers had a good time saying their HANDS WERE TIED, when they chose to alter plans in such a way to make them ungrandfatherable. Now they have to be at least vaguely straight about the economics involved.
They should be more concerned with the politics involved. They got into bed with this administration and now I'm sure they're beginning to realize what's coming.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 AM
sweetiepie sweetiepie is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 666 desdemona
Favorite beer: porters
Posts: 5,994
Blog Entries: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
This post is stupid.

Their hands WERE tied. The fact that they are now untied and that it is now too late to do anything doesn't change whose fault it is.
Too late to do what? They can, and many will, start grandfathering plans. It's just that many have good reason for not doing so. It's better they admit that this is about pricing in the age of universal healthcare, and not about some arbitrary dictate of our dear tyrant.

Last edited by sweetiepie; 11-14-2013 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-14-2013, 12:00 PM
InSpades InSpades is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 996
Default

So... the policies he said people could keep if they like... he's now changing the rules so people can actually keep them (maybe) for a year? This is a fix?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 PM
sweetiepie sweetiepie is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 666 desdemona
Favorite beer: porters
Posts: 5,994
Blog Entries: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakerx View Post
They should be more concerned with the politics involved.
Who cares? They won. They'll be doing more business after 2014 than before. The details of how that's going to happen are insignificant.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Sub_Zero Sub_Zero is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiepie View Post
Too late to do what? They can, and many will, start grandfathering plans. It's just that some have good reason for not doing so. It's better they admit that than go on about how the grandfathering rules were so strict.
Too late to reverse the administrative processes behind the conversion to aca plans. Too late to get 2014 rates developed for these newly grandfathered plans. Too late to change the pricing of exchange plans to reflect the altered risk pool. Too late to get all of the above approved by state regulators. Etc.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-14-2013, 12:05 PM
sweetiepie sweetiepie is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 666 desdemona
Favorite beer: porters
Posts: 5,994
Blog Entries: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub_Zero View Post
Too late to reverse the administrative processes behind the conversion to aca plans. Too late to get 2014 rates developed for these newly grandfathered plans. Too late to change the pricing of exchange plans to reflect the altered risk pool. Too late to get all of the above approved by state regulators. Etc.
Nonsense-- if this thing is made law, all of that will be rushed or extended, well, except for prcing exchange plans, but those prices are basically nonsense for this year anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.33884 seconds with 8 queries