Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-11-2014, 11:48 AM
SOA

Default Questions for Interviewer

Hi, I have an on-site interview coming up and I was wondering if anyone could give me any type of advice on questions I should ask the interviewer. In the past there has always been a lot of time to ask questions and I always struggle with coming up with good questions to ask.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntryLevelActuary101 View Post
Hi, I have an on-site interview coming up and I was wondering if anyone could give me any type of advice on questions I should ask the interviewer. In the past there has always been a lot of time to ask questions and I always struggle with coming up with good questions to ask.
So that must mean that you've made it passed the phone interview stage. Care to answer my thread?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
If you get an on-site interview, the questions you ask them (IME) will be the least of your concerns. Ask questions that suggest interest in their work. Overall, make sure you answer your interviewers' questions well.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: GLMs, Bayesian Stats, Time Series
Old 11-11-2014, 11:57 AM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Quote:
Ask relatively open questions that give the interviewer an opportunity to talk a lot about things they like. People like to talk about themselves "What do you enjoy most about your role?".
Old 11-11-2014, 11:58 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
"What do you enjoy most about your role?".
Actuarial Outpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Actuarial Outpost
Try your best to avoid companies where people answer this.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:44 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Ask what your interviewers like most about their job, what their day to day work is like, what a "typical day" is like, what projects they're currently working on, what projects or sorts of projects you would work on if you got the role, is their role mainly working with other actuaries or do they have lots of interaction with other departments, what do they like most about being an actuary, most interesting/memorable project they ever worked on, how long have they been at the company, what was their career path like, what is the training process generally like for new hires, etc. - lots of ideas to start right there. also, if you know anything specific like the company recently launched a new product or something, you can try to ask about that, but imo that's more challenging. it's better if you can ask questions based on things that come up in the interview itself. like if your interviewer is like "in this role, you'd be working on this project with x, y, z which involves a, b, and c" you could ask things like how did that project come about, what challenges have you been facing while working on that project, what aspects of the project do you think i'd be involved in, is this project limited to your direct department or does it involve a lot of collaboration with other teams, etc, etc, etc.

Really asking questions is the easy part of the interview because you can really ask whatever and make yourself seem interested, and it's less pressure than trying to answer questions because you're not on the spot. i always liked this part because you're in control of the conversation.

I would probably avoid questions about benefits, and even probably lean away from too many study program questions. Study program questions are generally okay, but if you're interviewing with someone who never gets their study hours and it's a really busy department, they're obviously not going to say, "no, I never get my study hours," and it's better to express that you're interested in the role itself rather than asking too much about how much time you'll get to study.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:57 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
If you get an on-site interview, the questions you ask them (IME) will be the least of your concerns. Ask questions that suggest interest in their work. Overall, make sure you answer your interviewers' questions well.
I sorta agree. My best interviews are the ones that've turned into conversations.

Often, HR supplied the interviewer with vague questions and the guy/gal would rather just get to know you and your background. What sort of worker you are, how you think/talk/solve problems. They mostly assume you can do the work/have the background based on your resume.

Asking questions (don't even have to be prepared - just outline some key points you want to hit) puts a lot of pressure off of you. Makes it sound like you're making a decision just like they will be (and you are!). It'll indicate you're trying to feel out if you belong there too. It aligns interests with your interviewer.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:05 PM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
- just outline some key points you want to hit

Instead of asking us what questions you want to ask, ask yourself what you want to know. What matters to you about the job? And how would you go about asking about it?

The thing is, we can say you should ask ďTell me about the first tasks Iíll be responsible forĒ. IMO thatís a decent question to ask, but you need to care enough about the answer to follow it up if they donít give you the information you need in their response. Itís a conversation, and a chance for you to find out about what matters to you.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:08 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

yeah - it's important that you don't sound like you're reading from a script. even if you script your questions beforehand, try to sound like you didn't and these are just things you're interested in that you're thinking of during the interview.